No announcement yet.

Skiboard Forum Content and Topics - A Case for All Things Shorter Than Average

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboard Forum Content and Topics - A Case for All Things Shorter Than Average

I think recently thoughts have posted about skiboarding and what it means and the influence of short(er) length skis and what that might mean to the sport and maybe this forum. The people on this forum are open minded regarding the sport of skiing, which is probably stating the obvious because if they weren't they wouldn't be here unless perhaps they wanted to be a "short skis suck" troll and we don't see that here.

I personally like the expanding range of topics, including short skis like the Spruce offerings, because it is still relevant and serving the needs of the people on this forum. I have not found any other online forum that embraces skiboards and short skis - not EpicSki, not Pugski, certain not Newschoolers, etc. On those types of forums my experience in searching threads and generally hanging around, even someone who choses for ride a "full sized ski" but choses a shorter than recommended length, doesn't generally get advice beyond "that ski is too short for you; you should be on a XXX length".

I don't come from a technical skiing background, but I love this pastime and have been doing a ton of research on short skis and the possible benefits of skiing "full size skis" at a shorter than recommended length for a variety of reasons. I would feel totally comfortable sharing my thoughts here and getting input from people in this community because we would have a thoughtful discussion about the topics.

Long live shorties and the people who ride them!
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

I spent my day yesterday skiing Loveland on 143cm Icelantic scouts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Bluewing -- I think the "open-mindedness" is something that was just fortunate to develop here organically. If I look back into the forum archives there are posts that would suggest that it was not always that way. Even in my tenure posting here there have been contentious posts on what "is" and "is not" as skiboard. These debates would tackle everything from length to inserts to release vs. non-release bindings. I think we are just fortunate that things developed around a bunch of people that seem to share the same recreational values such as:
      • Support for High Quality Gear (Skiboards, Skis, Bindings, etc..)
      • Finding Financial Value in our Equipment
      • A Welcoming and Helpful attitude to new riders
      • A Sharing of experiences and passions inside the sport
      • A Sharing outside the sport (frankly I did know standup bicycles existed before I got here)
      • Creating an online place where riders connect and meet in the real world
      • Working collaboratively to solve problems in a sport that is not industry supported.
      • Supporting those few businesses that serve our sport and do it so well

Maybe we are where we are today because the young rebel skiboarders of the 90s and 00s matured and mellowed. Maybe it's because we collectively stay positive and seem to weed out any of that "internet meanness" but no matter what it is a cool place to learn and explore alternatives to the mainstream ski world.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I really enjoy the philosophical questions raised and answered by this niche' sport and the really great community here on the forum. I'm hoping skiboarding see's a 2nd coming of sorts, with the kind of interesting home brew developments that are incredibly marketable (imo) skiboarding still feels a bit like the wild west and it's a great feeling.

I guess its just because it's how I learned and have always ridden that I'm a bit hung up on non-release bindings like a stubborn old goat. Really its just a personal preference sometimes projected, now even skiboots themselves make me shudder. I've thought about learning snowboarding by picking up a pair of DUAL's for fun (and review here)... coming from skiboarding it makes more sense, in my head somehow, and I already have bindings, but is dualing really even snowboarding? Dun dun dun...

At the end of the day, all I can say is I'm fortunate to be able to slip, slide, jump, and carve on the snow repeatedly all winter (when it gets here) and in that way 'never grow up' I toast my glass to all! Long live the alternative!

Comment

It not that long ago that the sport of skiboarding and the forum, were dominated by inline skaters wanting to ride short boards in the park. The classic, stiff, cambered, 100cm skiboard, with non release bindings was also a reflection of this. Post exit from the X Games, the revival of skiboarding was based around improving the quality and branding of park style boards. This also meant a clear rejection of anything that wasn't a skiboard, especially low quality ski blades.

Over time the younger park style riders seem to have given way to a base of "converted skiers" looking more for all mountain and back country performance. The advent of rocketed boards, long boards and short skis has developed to support that need. Bindings have also developed to include release, soft and back country options. I think the tolerance for what can be included in the sport has also softened.

We do have a great community here that has a generous all inclusive attitude. Perhaps what binds us more than the equipment, is the fringe attitude that accepts people who are happiest breaking with tradition. For me the most intriguing part of the sport is the willingness to experiment with and modify equipment. People like Jack, Valmorel, Slow and Bill have really set a precedent that makes DIY projects not only acceptable, but cool. It's also great to see how manufactures like Greco have been able to make some of these projects into reality. Most recently Jason's new insert pattern on the Sickies comes to mind. How cool is that[emoji3]
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Kinda bugs me that I am not working on anything right now🙁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
              Kinda bugs me that I am not working on anything right now
              There's a way to fix that...

Comment

Inevitable. I am retiring on Jan 1.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                  Inevitable. I am retiring on Jan 1.
                  I assume this means "day job" retirement and not retirement from shop projects...?

If so, congratulations to one of the neatest guys I've ever met in my life!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    I assume this means "day job" retirement and not retirement from shop projects...?

If so, congratulations to one of the neatest guys I've ever met in my life!
                    Oh you! Thanks. Yes day job. First thing on list is tidy up workshop. This year it has been all about bikes. Last project was a homebuilt carbon fibre handlebar.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                    Go Android

Comment

I don't now if this is a new trend, or just one that I am noticing because I am paying attention, but there seem to be a lot of people at Snowbowl on short skis this season. I don't mean skiboards or longboards, but skis that are much shorter than would be recommended.

I guessed these two guys to be in their late teens or early twenties, both were on 150 length skis. One was on twin tips the other on a racing style ski. I presume they would have to be junior skis, as mens skis don't normally go down this short. The guys were as tall as me, so regardless of age, were capable of being on 170s.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                        I don't now if this is a new trend, or just one that I am noticing because I am paying attention, but there seem to be a lot of people at Snowbowl on short skis this season. I don't mean skiboards or longboards, but skis that are much shorter than would be recommended.

I guessed these two guys to be in their late teens or early twenties, both were on 150 length skis. One was on twin tips the other on a racing style ski. I presume they would have to be junior skis, as mens skis don't normally go down this short. The guys were as tall as me, so regardless of age, were capable of being on 170s.

They might be on women's skis.
                        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I may be wrong on this, but I feel like the old debates on what is (and what isn't) a skiboard was to try to define our sport and set us apart from the masses. Not in a bad way, but a way that could have differentiated us from the people who were on short skis/snowblades that in one way or another made skiboards look bad. I think the people on this forum are a very small niche that know all the trade secrets to having the most fun possible on the ski hill, and regardless of the means to the end, we want to share our secrets with one another.
                          MLK did a pretty good job of desegregating the masses. It's up to us to continue his work. (maybe not the best reference)
                          facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Originally posted by Davelynam View Post
                            I may be wrong on this, but I feel like the old debates on what is (and what isn't) a skiboard was to try to define our sport and set us apart from the masses. Not in a bad way, but a way that could have differentiated us from the people who were on short skis/snowblades that in one way or another made skiboards look bad. I think the people on this forum are a very small niche that know all the trade secrets to having the most fun possible on the ski hill, and regardless of the means to the end, we want to share our secrets with one another.
                            MLK did a pretty good job of desegregating the masses. It's up to us to continue his work. (maybe not the best reference)
                            This, this right here will be the post that is referenced as "the beginning" when Dave is in White House.

Lynam for President in 2020!! I'll start printing hats and buttons.

DLPs will henceforth be know as the Dave Lynam Presidential model skiboards ... Viva la revolución.
                            Boards:
                            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Open Minded? Heck, when the checkout girls at the grocery store ask me if I prefer paper or plastic, I tell em it really doesn't matter, I'm bi-sackual.

Comment

Working...
                              X