Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better snow and more weight. Is it time for new boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better snow and more weight. Is it time for new boards?

Been riding Revolts with risers and release bindings for 6 years and want to make a change. Spent 4 of the 6 years on ice in the Poconos and the last 2 years in Colorado. Think it's time for longer boards to adjust for the better snow and weight gain over the past few years (currently 6'4", 215 lbs). The new boards wont see any moguls, or parks, just groomed and packed powder. The selection table seems to indicate a 120 cm+ board might be in order. Would a longer, rockered board be a worthy investment? I really like my RVL8s so maybe a rockered Condor or maybe a change to Spruce and a pair of Ospreys.
    '16 Spliffs, Spruce Risers w/ Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings
    '08 Revolt Trees, Spruce Risers w/ Salomon 610 bindings

Jack Frost PA, Big Boulder PA, Blue Mountain PA, Camelback Mountain PA,
    Mountain Creek NJ, Breckenridge CO, Winter Park CO, Eldora CO

sigpic

I don't own, nor have I ever ridden, anything longer than 110cm, so keep that in mind. Having stated that, I recommend either the standard or rockered version of the Condor. I'm your height, albeit a bit lighter(~190lbs), and I have ridden plenty of powder on Condors. The RC's are magical in the soft stuff since the tips just ride up over everything. The standard version is also really good, especially when ridden with about 4cm of set-back, and the stiffer flex is great for larger riders.
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Blunt XLs seem to be very well liked and should still be OK at your size. I have not ridden them, but spent some time on the Blunts and they were a hoot.

Spruce Osprey is a good choice if you won't be skiing a lot of hard snow. The ride gets a bit feedback heavy in hard, icier conditions. I have not ridden the production boards but did spend a few days on the prototypes. A number of the guys on the forum have a bunch of time on them and seem to like them in the Western snow where they live (Tahoe area). Ospreys are essentially the same footprint as the Sherpas with zero camber underfoot which makes them a bit more relaxed to ride and makes them a bit easier to pivot and maneuver in tight spaces.

Spruce Sherpa is a go anywhere, do anything, slay any condition board. I spent a lot of time on these in the East Coast and loved them. I used the Spruce riser on these. These definitely do better if the rider is focused and drives them - they are not difficult to ski, but they do require some focus and seem to be happiest when piloted in an assertive way. There has been a bit of manufacturing variability in the Sherpas so if you get a pair ask to have the bases checked for flatness before they get shipped to you.

You can get either the Osprey or Sherpa mounted with the Spruce riser or direct mount bindings. If you do direct mount, you need to order directly from Spruce at http://www.snoblades.com.

Rockered Condors are good boards, but definitely soft snow, powder biased. They are very soft flexing. They will starve fine on hard snow but some people are not thrilled riding that way. Some are good with it.

People seem to be enjoying the Spliffs as well. Maybe someone who has time on them can comment, especially a bigger rider like Wookie. I don't think these have an extra set of inserts so if you need to setback for softer snow or powder I think the only option would be any setback a non-release binding might allow. Not sure since I have only ridden release bindings.
      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Send a message to krillinakw, he is in Boulder and has a lot of boards that you could at least check out. He also rides a ton and could help you out with some recommendations.

Originally posted by mfbuckland View Post
        Been riding Revolts with risers and release bindings for 6 years and want to make a change. Spent 4 of the 6 years on ice in the Poconos and the last 2 years in Colorado. Think it's time for longer boards to adjust for the better snow and weight gain over the past few years (currently 6'4", 215 lbs). The new boards wont see any moguls, or parks, just groomed and packed powder. The selection table seems to indicate a 120 cm+ board might be in order. Would a longer, rockered board be a worthy investment? I really like my RVL8s so maybe a rockered Condor or maybe a change to Spruce and a pair of Ospreys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        The Skiboard Connection
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSkiboardConnection/

Comment

I have dlp's for sale and I am in colorado. Also own blunts and blunt xl's. We could work something out.

I'm in Denver where are you?

33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by alnewt1234 View Post
            Send a message to krillinakw, he is in Boulder and has a lot of boards that you could at least check out. He also rides a ton and could help you out with some recommendations.

alnewt1234: Got your PM. Tried to reply but your inbox is full.

sigpic

Comment

Cleared it out. Thanks

The Skiboard Connection
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSkiboardConnection/

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                I have dlp's for sale and I am in colorado. Also own blunts and blunt xl's. We could work something out.

I'm in Denver where are you?

Im in Longmont. I took a long look at the DLPs but decided to pull the trigger on Spliffs. They'll be here next week. Might take them and my Revolts up to Eldora to try and test them side by side.

sigpic

Comment

I also have 125's, blunts and blunt xl's all sitting unridden in my closet.

I'm also in Longmont at least once a week, if your interested in borrowing them to try them out... I'm totally cool with that.

33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Working...
                  X