Mammoth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mammoth!

Opened the season with my wife at Mammoth Mountain yesterday!

Surprisingly nice conditions for so early in the season with top to bottom riding!

Great time! was on Spliffs with soft boot bindings
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

So what's the verdict? Are we switching back to soft boots this season?
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      So what's the verdict? Are we switching back to soft boots this season?
      Yes, I kind of miss the comfort of snowboard boots and the ways heads turn when you ride skiboards with them 
      More control of the carve with hardboots but better control of the slarve with soft boots, so kind of a toss up technique wise on my favorite skiboards
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
        Yes, I kind of miss the comfort of snowboard boots and the ways heads turn when you ride skiboards with them 
        More control of the carve with hardboots but better control of the slarve with soft boots, so kind of a toss up technique wise on my favorite skiboards
        Jack did you try the Spliffs with soft boots last season? I am curious to give it a try this season and can't recall if you tried it and wrote up a review.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
          Jack did you try the Spliffs with soft boots last season? I am curious to give it a try this season and can't recall if you tried it and wrote up a review.
          We both did. Check out these two threads. Riding Spliffs with soft boots was mentioned.

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16175

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16179

Here's Jack's review from last season of the Spliffs. I didn't read through it to see if he mentions using soft boots. I'll leave that task for you.

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ghlight=Spliff
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
            Yes I did , but preferred the control that a hard boot set up gave me over the carve (the Spliff being a carve friendly board ) . This season I wanted to give it another try and see if I could adapt my style to using softboots on the Spliff. I am using a Spliff I obtained from Bill on the forum that has had custom rear inserts installed at 4cm back so it is easy for me to ride 4cm back with my soft boot bindings which I like . It also , I think , had a base grind and detuning of the tips and tails by Bill which makes it for me a bit more slippery and slidey board then my stock Spliffs. Last year I rode them with Bills super stiff custom soft boot binding which actually simulates very well a hard boot set up . For this year I am trying them with my old Rocker binding which is perhaps a tad bit stiffer overall then my SBOL type bindings but much less stiff then Bills custom soft boot binding . Mammoth was mostly hard snow and the first part of the run from the summit was uber steep and icy but I felt like I had good control with this set up and also could slarve better. So kind of like a set up that is between my RC soft boot set up and my hard boot Spliff set up , so kind of combines in one set up a nice mix between my two favorite set ups . So far I like it alot.
            ps you can see the run from the summit in the picture above . the top section is in the shadows and very steep and icy and then gets less steep and softer down below .
            Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

You should have grabbed the SII' out of the garage and give them a test drive!

Rickylink >>)))°>
              rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
              ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
                You should have grabbed the SII' out of the garage and give them a test drive!

Rickylink >>)))°>
                Yup , I thought of that but they looked way too narrow for my tastes ! ps you have a skiboard workshop and collection that puts mine to shame ! my boards are kind of thrown in a mess in the attic , ha ha , thanks so much for letting us use your place !
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

You caught me in the middle of a garage clean up
                  .. a little messy. That's half the collection  ha. You are very welcome sir.

Rickylink >>)))°>
                  rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                  ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Sadly, my workshop looks like a cycle shop dump🙁

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                    Crossbow (go to dream board)
                    Most everything else over time.
                    Go Android

Comment

Working...
                    X