Bumps for Boomers - Use of Skiboards in Their Clinics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumps for Boomers - Use of Skiboards in Their Clinics

I have been considering doing the Bumps for Boomers clinic in Aspen, Colorado for the past few years. I was refreshing my memory of how they run their clinic and found this great explanation of why they use 95cm skiboards (yes, they use that term) the first 2 days of the 4-day clinic.

https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/why-...oard-training/

A few notable quotes:

"Click into ski-boards and it’s a whole new world. They are still skis sliding on snow but the short length changes up everything. If you aren’t standing centered on them you’ll get instant feedback. These very maneuverable skis instantly bring out the playfulness in everyone. Consequently, your learning process is fun, you learn more quickly and you experience the following benefits over training on your traditional length skis..."

"You Will Learn New Skills Dramatically Faster With Skiboard Training"

"Skiboards ski well in up to a foot of Colorado champagne powder."
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Let me know how much interest you get. Good seeing you around!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
      I have been considering doing the Bumps for Boomers clinic in Aspen, Colorado for the past few years. I was refreshing my memory of how they run their clinic and found this great explanation of why they use 95cm skiboards (yes, they use that term) the first 2 days of the 4-day clinic.

https://www.bumpsforboomers.com/why-...oard-training/

A few notable quotes:

"Click into ski-boards and it’s a whole new world. They are still skis sliding on snow but the short length changes up everything. If you aren’t standing centered on them you’ll get instant feedback. These very maneuverable skis instantly bring out the playfulness in everyone. Consequently, your learning process is fun, you learn more quickly and you experience the following benefits over training on your traditional length skis..."

"You Will Learn New Skills Dramatically Faster With Skiboard Training"

"Skiboards ski well in up to a foot of Colorado champagne powder."
      It would be interesting to take the clinic to see what is taught. It could be difficult to learn their ways after having been on skiboards for so many years, you know the whole "can't teach an old dog new tricks" thing.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by krillinakw View Post
        Let me know how much interest you get. Good seeing you around!
        Hey! You still out in Winter Park riding shorties?
        Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I believe Bill may have taken the clinic a few years back. Hopefully he shares some insights.
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
            I believe Bill may have taken the clinic a few years back. Hopefully he shares some insights.
            We've never done a full 4-day BFB clinic, but Carolyn and I have taken private lessons form Joe Nevin a few years back. He generally uses vintage Line Bullets for the skiboard portion of his clinics before transitioning clients to full-on skis---we were an unusual case in that we showed up with our own skiboard collection.

The theme of the BFB clinics/lessons is not setting speed records, it's about navigating challenging terrain (whatever that might be for a given individual) in a controlled, stylish, low-effort way. There's a lot of emphasis on subtlety and finesse. Joe is great. He's definitely clued in on skiboards, the correct terminology, etc., and is a skiboard advocate at heart. If anyone's ever had the pleasure of riding with a stylist like our own Valmorel, that's who I would compare Joe's riding style to. He has definite opinions on skiboards, skis, ski lengths, etc., but the class emphasis is more about technique no matter what you choose to ride.

Short of the high-end experts in our group who are already at that level, I think anyone would enjoy and learn a lot from a BFB clinic/lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              We've never done a full 4-day BFB clinic, but Carolyn and I have taken private lessons form Joe Nevin a few years back. He generally uses vintage Line Bullets for the skiboard portion of his clinics before transitioning clients to full-on skis---we were an unusual case in that we showed up with our own skiboard collection.

The theme of the BFB clinics/lessons is not setting speed records, it's about navigating challenging terrain (whatever that might be for a given individual) in a controlled, stylish, low-effort way. There's a lot of emphasis on subtlety and finesse. Joe is great. He's definitely clued in on skiboards, the correct terminology, etc., and is a skiboard advocate at heart. If anyone's ever had the pleasure of riding with a stylist like our own Valmorel, that's who I would compare Joe's riding style to. He has definite opinions on skiboards, skis, ski lengths, etc., but the class emphasis is more about technique no matter what you choose to ride.

Short of the high-end experts in our group who are already at that level, I think anyone would enjoy and learn a lot from a BFB clinic/lesson.
              Thanks Bill!
              Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Hey! You still out in Winter Park riding shorties?
                Shorties yes, WInter Park sometimes. I moved to the flatlands by Boulder and have the RMSP+ which gets me to WP but includes the closer mtn of Eldora. I am making much better money for the time being, but do miss seeing those peaks everyday. Just got boots and hardware to mimic Crazyboy (tim's) stepin setup and im psyched about it!

I have been skiing at a glacier at least once per month all summer lovin CO, come visit!

Comment

So, I am taking the plunge and doing the Bumps for Boomers course in mid-January in Aspen. It will be a pricey trip, but I am stoked to go! Thank goodness for free airfare via frequent flyer miles to take a bit of sting out of the cost. I have never been to Aspen so excited to get there. I am staying right in town and can easily walk to the Gondola so no rental car and no hassle to/from the mountain each day. I will post back about the experience.
                  Think Like a Mountain

Comment

So, I am taking the plunge and doing the Bumps for Boomers course in mid-January in Aspen.
                    Cool! Are you doing the full clinic where the last day is spent at Highlands Bowl?

You're smart to stay right near the gondola in Aspen, proper. It couldn't be more convenient for skiing, and also handy to restaurants, shops, etc. We generally stay at the Aspen Square, it's about as close as you can get without going crazy high-dollar.

Comment

Cool! Are you doing the full clinic where the last day is spent at Highlands Bowl?

You're smart to stay right near the gondola in Aspen, proper. It couldn't be more convenient for skiing, and also handy to restaurants, shops, etc. We generally stay at the Aspen Square, it's about as close as you can get without going crazy high-dollar.
                      Yes, full 4-day clinic. Regarding last day being at Highlands Bowl - if that is the case, then

I am going into this with a totally open mind and no pre-conceptions about what is possible. I figure if I pay attention, put the effort in on the mountain and listen to feedback I should be able to handle anything they take us to. If not, then I will surely find myself in at least one very interesting predicament! I am not at all worried about the 2 skiboard days - I never found myself once on skiboards truly worried. The second 2 days on skis I am not as confident about - hopefully I learn what I need to on the skiboards to feel way better about being in moguls on skis.

I am staying at the Aspen Mountain Lodge right on West Main Street in Aspen. About 0.4 miles to the gondola. That was the best place I could find fairly close within a reasonable budget. I might be enjoying the all-day breakfast menu at a recognizable fast food chain and drinking Keystone Light the whole trip though...
                      Think Like a Mountain

Comment

I might be enjoying the all-day breakfast menu at a recognizable fast food chain and drinking Keystone Light the whole trip though...
                        Hey! There's nothing wrong with Keystone Light. That was one of my brews of choice back in the day.
                        Boards/Bindings:
                        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Yes, full 4-day clinic. Regarding last day being at Highlands Bowl - if that is the case, then
                          In the past Joe took his clinic groups to Highland Bowl (which requires a short hike to get to) on the last day. Not sure if he still does that? Regardless, there's no way Joe or his team would put anyone in a bad spot. I've never done Highland Bowl, but Joe has told me I wouldn't have any trouble with it, and I'm not very good ;-)

Aspen is nutso pricey, but there are ways to economize. At a high dollar restauraunt, sit at a bar table and ask for the bar menu. It's a limited menu compared to the dining room, but the prices are way cheaper. That's what the locals do. There's actually is a McDonalds in the middle of town which is great for cheap breakfast. There's a pizza joint called Bruneleschi's (sp?) that's moderately priced. The food and pizza is terrific. I could eat there every night of a trip, and we've done just that.

I have high confidence you'll enjoy this. Looking forward to a report on the forum!

Comment

In the past Joe took his clinic groups to Highland Bowl (which requires a short hike to get to) on the last day. Not sure if he still does that? Regardless, there's no way Joe or his team would put anyone in a bad spot. I've never done Highland Bowl, but Joe has told me I wouldn't have any trouble with it, and I'm not very good ;-)
                            That would be very cool. I would imagine a capstone for the clinic is something "big" to help everyone in the class to cement it in their minds that they can use what they learned to ski where they probably didn't think they could ski.

Aspen is nutso pricey, but there are ways to economize. At a high dollar restauraunt, sit at a bar table and ask for the bar menu. It's a limited menu compared to the dining room, but the prices are way cheaper. That's what the locals do.
                            I do not like to eat alone at a restaurant so that is perfect! If I am alone, I usually sit at the bar anyway so now I can do that and save some cash.

There's actually is a McDonalds in the middle of town which is great for cheap breakfast.
                            With the all-day breakfast menu I could definitely eat dinner there and likely will at least once...of course washing it down with Keystone Lights...

There's a pizza joint called Bruneleschi's (sp?) that's moderately priced. The food and pizza is terrific. I could eat there every night of a trip, and we've done just that.
                            Brunelleschi's ( http://www.zgpizza.com/BRUNELLESCHI_S___ASPEN_CO_.html) - thanks!
                            Think Like a Mountain

Comment

I am going into this with a totally open mind and no pre-conceptions about what is possible. I figure if I pay attention, put the effort in on the mountain and listen to feedback I should be able to handle anything they take us to. If not, then I will surely find myself in at least one very interesting predicament! I am not at all worried about the 2 skiboard days - I never found myself once on skiboards truly worried. The second 2 days on skis I am not as confident about - hopefully I learn what I need to on the skiboards to feel way better about being in moguls on skis.

I am staying at the Aspen Mountain Lodge right on West Main Street in Aspen. About 0.4 miles to the gondola. That was the best place I could find fairly close within a reasonable budget. I might be enjoying the all-day breakfast menu at a recognizable fast food chain and drinking Keystone Light the whole trip though...
                              At least keystone is a coors product... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X