My how times have changed - from 1985

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My how times have changed - from 1985

It's almost as funny as it is absurd to see the attitudes on snowboarding back in the day. Up at BoHo nobodies moaning about anything in particular, and its awesome. I know its probably much worse other places, as skiboarders we catch alot of flak, but I have to say I catch a lot more curiosity and interest than jeers and one-liners or ski patrol harassment. The only thing that bugged me last year is this guy who just couldn't understand how non-release was even a thing, insisting my ankles should be snapping.. yay for progress!

Kranky Hill operator drops prophetic slip @ 0:45

I love how the ski patroller at the end of the video assumes that snowboarding is a passing fad. The funny reality is that snowboarding saved the ski industry (along with skiboarding, to lesser degree). Both became an alternative income stream, drove changes in ski design, and got people excited about being on the hill. The unfortunate thing is that while snowboarding and skiboarding re-energized skiing both sports are declining in their ridership.

Maybe it will all just blend into one "snow skating" sport one day where everyone is on the same 140cm or shorter twin tip fat ski with soft boot bindings and powder straps.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Nice!

As for skiboards vs. skis, I think it is more like motorcycles vs. cars. Cars offer more utility for more people, bikes are more fun and mobile for a minority who can afford and is willing to compromise creature comforts and safety. Not to imply that the same characteristics apply for skis vs. skiboards, but the same logic applies, I think. Will the # motorcycles on US roads ever equal the # of cars? I don't see it happening, but I maybe one of those nay sayers who can't predict the future

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
        Maybe it will all just blend into one "snow skating" sport one day where everyone is on the same 140cm or shorter twin tip fat ski with soft boot bindings and powder straps.
        And what would you call it? Boardskiing? Such a sport would never exist.

Comment

So we have California to blame for snowboarders. Way to go California!
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by mary View Post
            And what would you call it? Boardskiing? Such a sport would never exist.
            I am actually on the Executive Committee of ABSA (American Boardskiing Society of America). We are lobbying for inclusion in the 2022 Winter Olympics. LOL.

It would never exist but it's interesting to watch the ski industry borrow from snowboarding and skiboarding all while diehard skiers express their hate for the sports.
            Boards:
            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

So glad the attitude is more inclusive in Europe. Interestingly, the only negative comments I get on the hill always come from Brits. Embarrassing🙁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

Working...
              X