Closing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing Day

Arizona Snowbowl saved it's best conditions for the last weekend of the season. Despite the recent warm temperatures, some snowfall was due to sweep through the San Francisco Peaks on Friday. I had pretty much given up on the season, but decided to drive up on Friday night and take a chance on the conditions. Just past Sedona the weather turned cold and wet, by the time I made it to Flagstaff I was driving in a blizzard.

The resort reported 8-10 inches overnight. Driving up to the resort in the morning you couldn't help but feel the anticipation of a great day seeing all the fresh powder on the slopes.

But, the storm had not quite passed and the lifts were on wind hold with gusts up to 50 mph. It's not my thing, but I decided to change into my snowboard boots, put my soft bindings on my KTPs and to earn some turns.

I think I'm fairly fit and well conditioned. Until a few years ago I used to compete in martial arts, I still hit my heavy bag every week, put in miles on my treadmill and spend most of the summer on my skates. But, claiming uphill at altitude is a real chore for me. After just 100 yards I was huffing and puffing, my heart pounding in my ears, weak at the knees and dripping with sweat. I made the 400 ft of elevation chandler to the top of the Sunset lift in about an hour. It took two minutes to get down in the beautiful fresh, boot deep powder. That was my limit though. I have no idea how folks like Jack do ascents longer than that. And enjoy them. Thank goodness for lifts[emoji3]

Thankfully the lifts started turning and I could spend the rest of the day without my lungs claiming out of my chest. I spent the morning on the lower slopes enjoying the powder. The weather stayed cool and overcast, so even wig tracks it was still a delight to ski.

After lunch I cruised the trees, where it was knee deep in places, and the bumps. The best run was the black diamond from the top of the resort. They pushed to powder all to one side of the run to create huge mounds, drifts, banks and kickers of fresh snow. It was amazing skiing through all those natural features.

The best part of the whole day. The lift lines!

Although we didn't get a huge amount of snow this year, we had our longest season on record, from two weeks before Thanksgiving to two weeks after Easter. Mainly due to the superb way the resort handled the natural and man made snow. It was the perfect end to a great season. A little more El Niņo action would have been nice, but for the SouthWest, I'm not complaining.
    Just these, nothing else !

Nice. I am very envious. At least someone had a good season.

The season was a bust out here. Only 14 days for me and 6 of them were out West. It was the worst season I can recall. I spent this past weekend returning the kid's rentals. taking the ski box off of the car, and putting the skiboards into storage. 2015/16 Snow Season is done for me .... Onward to Spring and Summer.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Very nice! Reminds me of how I closed the season last year at Snowshoe in WV in mid-April: some fresh snow overnight and very few people on the lifts. The difference - it was an ice rink until 11am, then nice and firm for a couple of hours, then ankle deep chopped snow in the afternoon. Nothing like West skiing, which I was fortunate to experience for a few days this year in Utah. I think my season was about as long as Wookie's this year, but that's not unusual for me, and more than I used to do before I picked-up skiboarding, so I can't complain.

Comment

Closing it out at Sugar Bowl

We are also getting some surprise snow and nice conditions for closing weekend at Sugar Bowl in Tahoe
        . Surprise storm dropped 22 inches at the summit and 18 inches at the base over night
        My son Jordan and buddy Michael were there as the resort opened under bluebird skis and no wind after a stormy day yesterday, great day !
        enjoyed the pow on my Rockered Condors with Sbol modified snowboard bindings and snowboard boots... super fun !
        We still have Mt Rose open to May 8th and Squaw and Alpine open til the end of May and backcountry conditions are stellar
        so our season is not done yet !

Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

That looks fantastic Jack. Definitely jealous.

My skis are put up for summer storage and the inline skates are back in the line up. I'll be skating every weekend to keep up my balance skills, just waiting for the snow to fall.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
          X