Broke my Spruce Ospreys (!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
    At that speed, watching which part of the binding will release, was the last thing on my mind
    Ha!

Glad to hear you are ok!

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
      Seeing as you are still alive to talk about it, how do you like your visor style helmet. Does it give good visibility and prevent fogging?
      I quite like it. It hardly fogs up. Usually my glasses would rather be the problem, but only if pull something my mouth and nose and go downhill. I find that the yellow lense does not really all give me the diffrentiation in low light conditions that I would like. The black lens on sunny days are great.

Otherwise also a warm helmet, which I like - no need to have something to warm underneath. It does have a slider on top for ventilation.

Really, really glad I wore it today. it was probably the worst fall I ever had skiiing, biking or climbing and I've hit the ground in both the latter two as well in previous times.

It's not a cheap helmet by any means, but worth the investment. You just have to take care how to travel with the lenses, especially flying. For the latter I always have them in hand luggage, evn if the helmet goes in check-in.
      Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
      Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
      Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
        Seeing as you are still alive to talk about it, how do you like your visor style helmet. Does it give good visibility and prevent fogging?
        This question could be another topic. I'd love to hear what ysb33r thinks about the Bolle visor helmet - I'm not sure you can find those in the US yet. I also ride with a visor helmet - the OSBE Proton Sr. . . I've sworn by it for the past several years, but am actually going back to goggles (first time tomorrow) and regular helmet for a variety of reasons: 1. the bottom of the visor has foam that contacts the face, but not as tight as goggles - so at really fast speeds too much airflow into the eyes can cause the eyes to tear up (not an issue for regular skiing, but I like doing speed runs), 2. the top of the visor does not make a super tight connection to helmet and can at time allows falling rain or snow to get inside the visor (not an issue unless skiing in the rain or falling snow).

You certainly can't beat the huge peripheral vision these visor helmets provide and I've never had any real fogging issues with them. Probably #1 was the real issue for me to go back to goggles, but that issue won't impact most skiers. I also finally found some over-the-glasses goggles that are huge and provide great vision, so it helped me to make the decision to go back to goggles.

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
          1. the bottom of the visor has foam that contacts the face, but not as tight as goggles - so at really fast speeds too much airflow into the eyes can cause the eyes to tear up (not an issue for regular skiing, but I like doing speed runs), 2. the top of the visor does not make a super tight connection to helmet and can at time allows falling rain or snow to get inside the visor (not an issue unless skiing in the rain or falling snow).
          There is enough clearance between nose and visor. At higher speeds you would hear wind wistle through, but I have that on my Giro helmet as well. However, I don't find the wind tearing at the eyes with the visor on. I sometime ride with the visor up and then you can feel that. I think this is a better design that the Protoon. I don't have issues either with snow coming in via the top (and I've bumped my head against branches with all of the snow dropping off). Snow did get in during the crash and got trapped between the helmet and the visor, but dammit if you go head-first into the snow, what would you expect!

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
          TYou certainly can't beat the huge peripheral vision these visor helmets provide and I've never had any real fogging issues with them. Probably #1 was the real issue for me to go back to goggles, but that issue won't impact most skiers. I also finally found some over-the-glasses goggles that are huge and provide great vision, so it helped me to make the decision to go back to goggles.
          I think for backcountry touring going with goggles might be better. I don't fancy hanging the helmet on to a backpack. I would just forget about it and scratch or break the visor at some sport. Also climbing up with a helmet gets very warm. So I'll leave it at home.
          Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Glad you're able to shake that one off. Before the days of helmets your head would of sounded on the inside like thumping a watermelon for ripeness.

Last summer I picked up a pair of Scott goggles with a 2 speed fan in them from Level9 and I've not had a single fogging issue this year.

Comment

Glad your alright. This just convinced me to get a helmet.

Comment

You are one very lucky rider to come out as well as you did. Glad you are all right.
                sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Geez! Glad you're ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went out today again. Luckily I had a pair of RCs with me. It had been snowing the whole morning, and visibility was bad. I ended up only doing one run, but I felt physically OK. Still a bit sore in places, but OK.

I decided I'll treat myself to a carnivorous Catalan meal instead.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Comment

They do some real good food over here.

Anyways I should have a pair of Emans as well tomorrow which my daughter is bringing over. Looking forwards to some bright dsys on the slopes next week

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After finally getting home and removing the bindings I discovered that one of the risers is deformed. The bindings themselves are OK.

Besides being in awe about the forces involved that would cause that, I am once again thankful for having walked away unscathed.

Comment

Working...
                          X