Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboarding Crud

Hi Guys,

I got a question; The hill that I skiboard on usually gets choppy and cruddy snow. NOw, I use shorties, 75cm's. when i'm going up to speed, it gets really, really bumpy. I get leg cramps halfway down, causing me to stop and rest up. Probably because, I tense up my legs so, I feel every single bump. HOw do I deal with such situations? should I noodle up my leg? I did tried this but, it doesn't feel comfortable. is it the boards? could they be too short? would love to hear some feedbacks

The boards have a lot to do with it. I have not ridden anything shorter than the 94cm Head Rods (although a few decades ago I rode something that was just about as long as my foot), but I think the shorter the board, the more demanding it gets in these conditions - you have to lift the tips a bit more to avoid potentially nose diving. The second thing, some boards ride rougher than others. My Revolts are definitely smoother than my 120s (by little, but noticeable), and both have a more cushy ride than the Raptors, which are the most "direct" boards I have that transmit every bump up my legs (and while this is great for control and feel of what's going on under my feet, my knees don't like that). So it's not just length, it's a combination of length, width, and rocker profile, with the wider, longer, stiffer, heavier, damper, and more cambered boards offering a smoother ride - each of these attributes contributes to smoothness. For example, my full-sized skis Volkl RTM 84 are flat/rockered (no camber at all) but they ride smoother than any skiboard through crud because they are long, heavy, stiff, and damp.

Comment

I think the style of your skiing has a lot to do with how bumpy the ride is and how tired it makes you. Skiing variable terrain at speed is tiring because you have to absorb every bump. Having to skid to control your speed is also hard work. If you carve across the lines of the cud you will also create a more variable surface to deal with. I know, I've done all of these .It sounds like you might be fighting the terrain instead out using it to your advantage to control your speed and direction.

All the different lengths, widths and profiles of boards have their pros and cons. I would try to make your shorties work with the terrain and see if that helps.
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Like most hobbies/things in life it's 90% equipment and 10% adaptation from the user. At least that's my opinion that I've found true for me most of the time.

If you're riding in a lot of crud/ice It's a good idea to get a pair of boards with a lot of flex. That's where I feel a revolt excels where others do not. When I first got into the skiboarding scene I started with the revolt. It's the all around all conditions board that most people recommend to start with. 90% of the time that's what I still stick with. I currently own and ride bantams, revolts, and rockered condors. I've owned KTPs, but after one session with them in crud I hated them. I never even gave them another chance and they sat in my bag for a year or so until I sold them.

Picking a board with enough flex to dampen the crud is the main step. The rest comes from you. The best advice I can give you is to loosen up. Go with the flow. Don't try to control the boards, just let them do what they want to do. If your riding posture is nice and loose you'll notice a drastic improvement on not just your abilities but less shock absorbing your legs will have to do. If that tensing up is burned into your reflexes, here's one controversial thing I'm going to suggest. I'm sorry if it offends anyone or I get bashed for it but it does have a learning merit. Do you drink? Most resorts/hills allow it. Drink a beer or take a shot (as long as you're of legal age that is. I don't condone underage drinking). You don't even have to get a buzz. I suggest this because alcohol does loosen you up. You'll find yourself tensing your legs up far far less. That way you can get a feel for what the boards want to do. Keep on your edges and let your legs move with the boards. Nice and loose and they'll absorb everything without feeling the impact. That way you'll at least experience a good riding session and learn to just let go. If you keep it up, the tiring will cease within a few weeks. Much like body building excercises if you're finding yourself tiring and getting sore, keep riding until you literally cannot do it anymore. Then take a few more runs. You'll be absolutely miserable for a few days but your muscles will rebuild stronger. Then go do it again. And again. And again.

Comment

The more relaxed you are the longer you can skiboard. Try to only use energy when edging to burn speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavrick View Post
            The best advice I can give you is to loosen up. Go with the flow. Don't try to control the boards, just let them do what they want to do. If your riding posture is nice and loose you'll notice a drastic improvement on not just your abilities but less shock absorbing your legs will have to do. If that tensing up is burned into your reflex.................

....................You'll find yourself tensing your legs up far far less. That way you can get a feel for what the boards want to do. Keep on your edges and let your legs move with the boards. Nice and loose and they'll absorb everything without feeling the impact. That way you'll at least experience a good riding session and learn to just let go.
            This is great advice. I have a huge amount of tension in my skiing, mainly from a fear of injury, and have to keep reminding myself to relax. When I do, my skiing is much smoother and less tiring. At some point you have to let go and trust your equipment and your skills to look after you.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

That, and also change of style. Don't want to turn right in the middle of a pole or make unnecessary sharp and abrupt turns. Smooth carving turns work best as there nothing to catch the edges then. A little weight shift towards the rears helps too, in anticipation of a potential tip that might get slowed down in a pile, but not a huge shit in the back seat, just a little rearwards bias I like to call it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavrick View Post
                ....here's one controversial thing I'm going to suggest. I'm sorry if it offends anyone or I get bashed for it but it does have a learning merit. Do you drink? Most resorts/hills allow it. Drink a beer or take a shot (as long as you're of legal age that is. I don't condone underage drinking). You don't even have to get a buzz. I suggest this because alcohol does loosen you up. You'll find yourself tensing your legs up far far less. That way you can get a feel for what the boards want to do. Keep on your edges and let your legs move with the boards. Nice and loose and they'll absorb everything without feeling the impact. That way you'll at least experience a good riding session and learn to just let go. If you keep it up, the tiring will cease within a few weeks. Much like body building excercises if you're finding yourself tiring and getting sore, keep riding until you literally cannot do it anymore. Then take a few more runs. You'll be absolutely miserable for a few days but your muscles will rebuild stronger. Then go do it again. And again. And again.

Best Advice Ever! Lol! I tried it the Last time I was out, and it definitely worked! Being More Chilled and Relaxed does take away some Fatigue. I also lost a little bit of fear riding steeps. I did my first double blacks and I didn't fall. Plus, it Just makes the day more fun, specially if you're with your group of friends. Thanks for the Advice!

Comment

Working...
                X