No announcement yet.

I visited The Dark Side today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sold the pair of skis I bought last season after only a couple outings on them. They were Salomon Quest 98s 172 cm. I thought I was done with the dark side, but over the summer I was pulled to evil once again.

I could not resist the price tag on these Blizzard Regulators 165 cm. The reviews and YouTube videos I found on them also helped me to pull the trigger.

Strong with the dark side, this one is.

Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• I visited The Dark Side today.

Originally posted by sempai View Post

I could not resist the price tag on these Blizzard Regulators 165 cm.

Strong with the dark side, this one is.
      165cm ain't too long. . . Maybe 165cm is only the gray side?. . . Or is that the dark side affecting my judgment? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Whilst the confessional is open.....I added a pair to 168 cm Kastle BMX 78 skis to go with my Atomics. They are narrow enough to have some bite on the refrozen days we get in AZ, which really is our most common condition.

Skiboards will still be my first choice, but I want to have some skiing options when the Slapdashes aren't enough skiboard for me. Rather than filling my quiver with rockered skiboards, kids skis and longboards, it seems to make more sense to get skis instead.

FYI, I retrofitted both sets of skis with the Binding Freedom system of inserts. So, just like a 4x4 skiboard, I can take the bindings off with a screwdriver and swap them out with another ski, skiboard or riser.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

• What happened to will power and wisdom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

• Indeed...

94, 99, 120, 131, 141, 151, 156, 176cm

Originally posted by slow View Post
            What happened to will power and wisdom?

Comment

• Originally posted by slow View Post
              What happened to will power and wisdom?
              Will who and wis what? I don't know either one.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• The wife and I made two off season additions to our "Dark Side" quivers. Don't worry, we both still skiboard, but do enjoy time on skis as well.

The first skis are the Head Ethan Too park skis at 161 cm. They came flat from Level Nine for $120, and I mounted a pair of Tyrolia demo bindings I had on them. The demo binding will give the wife and I both the chance to use them, or even have them as loaners. I think they are wide enough at 91 mm underfoot to also serve as a powder ski, at least for Mrs Wolf.

The second set are skis are some used 152 cm MX 78 Kastles. I got them used off a ski forum delivered for $140. These came with Marker demo bindings already mounted, so will be versatile as well. I'm hoping these will be a fun, fast carving ski for the groomers and bumps, but I have a feeling Mrs Wolf has her eyes on them for herself as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                  The wife and I made two off season additions to our "Dark Side" quivers. Don't worry, we both still skiboard, but do enjoy time on skis as well.

The first skis are the Head Ethan Too park skis at 161 cm. They came flat from Level Nine for $120, and I mounted a pair of Tyrolia demo bindings I had on them. The demo binding will give the wife and I both the chance to use them, or even have them as loaners. I think they are wide enough at 91 mm underfoot to also serve as a powder ski, at least for Mrs Wolf.

The second set are skis are some used 152 cm MX 78 Kastles. I got them used off a ski forum delivered for $140. These came with Marker demo bindings already mounted, so will be versatile as well. I'm hoping these will be a fun, fast carving ski for the groomers and bumps, but I have a feeling Mrs Wolf has her eyes on them for herself as well.

I think you will like the Ethan Too's - in our family we have the 141, 151, and 161 lengths and love them all. . .

Comment

• We have the 141 and 151 versions and they seem to be great in shallow powder or other messy conditions. Could work in a pinch in deep powder for 160-200lb riders (probably better for lighter riders), but not nearly as good as the Ospreys IMO in soft deep powder. On groomed runs they are very nice too, my wife likes them in all conditions. My daughter in firmer conditions prefers the skinnier, shorter, lighter, and more nimble 131cm Head Caddy, but prefers the Ethan 141 in softer conditions. Either way, they are very versatile and fun, great all-rounders that work best in softer/moderately deep conditions.

Comment

• I've been in the southern hemisphere this season on Scott Missions 168. Got to try a lot of other stuff, volkl mantras, head kore, Rossi soul7, head super shapes titan, volkl ledge.

Mantras were by far my favorite. I find the terrain in NZ really suits skiing. For me skiboards are all about quick turns and manouverability, and portability, dense trees, park and travel. NZ "ski fields" are just wide open tussock peaks, sometimes it feels like there's no reason to even turn. My skis stay on the hill since I'm working up at a field, which was far different than my last season's where I was using bus trains and planes to get on the snow every time.

That said I can't wait to get back into some north east coast glades on my Spliffs. ��
                      Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

• I visited The Dark Side today.

I took a couple of runs today on the Kastle MX78s I picked up in the off season. They are 152cm in length. They were fun on the narrow trail we have right now. Skiing fun, not skiboard fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                          I took a couple of runs today on the Kastle MX78s I picked up in the off season. They are 152cm in length. They were fun on the narrow trail we have right now. Skiing fun, not skiboard fun.

I got some of those head skis too, tried them when I was in Mammoth. Forgot they were a little longer crossed tips and took a tumble. Besides that they we e fun and got a few extra speed miles out of them. I'm no speed demon but I got up to a slow 37 for my top speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• All this playing around with the dark side will eventually lead to this.....

https://snowboardmag.com/videos/sign...third-thursday
                            Spruce Ospreys 130cm
                            Summit Marauders 125cm
                            RVL8 RCondors 110cm
                            RVL8 KTPs 101cm

Rossignol Soul 7 164cm
                            Head Ethan Too 161cm

Spruce Pro prime plus Risers
                            Technine softboot bindings

Ozone Imp 2.5m Kite
                            Ozone Access 6m Kite
                            Ozone Access 8m Kite

Comment

• Whoever on here sold me the pair of Icelantic scouts started my love affair with the dark side.

Now I own three pairs of icelantic’s and a pair of line chronic park skis.

I blame this forum as I can’t be happy with just one pair of anything anymore.

33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

• That would be me Zach.Sorry for turning you. I also own a pair of skis but have only used them once.
                                64 CM Bigfoot’s
                                100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
                                110 CM Rockered Condors
                                130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Working...
                                X