Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing New People into boarding Short Vs Long etc

Hey everyone

I am in need of opinions and have found this a great place to get them :-) I started skiboarding last year very early and have completely converted. To be fair I started skiing the year before and only went twice. Picked up both skiing and skiboarding pretty quick.

I am a golf pro giving me plenty of winter time. My membership is close to 1000 persons. In the past years I have heard many conversations of moms and dads that brought kids to the mountain to ski and waited in the lodge reading a book having a beer ..... until the kids were done. Some once skied them selves yet found it to dangerous, scary, or just not fun at their age others never have done snow sports.

I have started "slowly testing" a theory that I have after switching to a pair of Sherpa boards on Jeff Singer's suggestion. I have invited several members who have or were about to give up or would not try snow sports because of the reasons above to the mountain to try skiboards. At the moment I am at 100 percent for those who have enjoyed it, felt safe and headed back out on there own. (low number of participants on my side - careful choosing as well)

After reading the thread on the New Osprey (Rockered Sherpa) and the splendid hijacking by Blue Wing, Sempi, Bad Wolf etc ..... on the merits or differences of short vs long boards. I am interested in the opinions of you who have more experience as to what, why, when, Long vs short for new vs converting skier. I have started to take members out have converted both that I have had out picking up a pair for one (120's) I have 3 spruce boards for them to try ( one of each-if they are in the right boot sizes of my 2 risers) and 2 Summit boards Jade 87 and Custom 110 with rental atomic bindings. Cant say the shorter boards have been my favorite but I'll let them make up there minds on there own. I have a set of RC on the way and non-release bindings. I am not up to let members out on non-release bindings so these will be for me to check out my self. I am trying to setup a rental binding system for 4x4 and 4x10 mounts. This would give me the ability to expose them to Spruce and Rvl8 boards. I tend to lean Spruce but thats just me. Who said that means I like to lay back and cruise not have fun? :-) I have been clocked on my sherpa's at 52 mph it was fun!! But I was just trying to keep up with my boys on skies. I do like to cruise :-(

Thanks all
    I enjoy teaching and exposing people to new things that can enhance their lives ...... I am in the Sunapee or Ragged area in NH if anyone everyis looking to meet up or check out different boards.
    Twoowt Lions RVL8 Rockered Condor-Revel8 SlapDash "Crayon"-Spuce Mountain "Sherpa" 130 Red Plaid-"125 LE" White Boards-120 "Chair Lift"-Summit Boards "Marauder 125SE"-"Rocker Inverigo 118"-"Custom 110"-"Nomad 99""Jade 87"-2014 Spruce Mountain "Pro Sport Riser" Tyrolia SL 100 Bindings (2 sets-325mm & 295mm settings)-Line FF Pro & FF Cam None Release Bindings-2013/14 Nordica "13/14 Cruise 80 & 60" ski boot

From personal experience, true non-skiiers have a MUCH easier time on shorter boards. Without any doubt in my mind, I would always start someone out on a pair of Blunts as opposed to any other board. The short length and rocker makes them extremely easy to manage and control. I actually just picked up 3 extra pairs of them just for loaning to others. You don't have to worry about edge bite, getting crossed up, or any of the other things you have to worry about with longer boards. Yes, they will be slightly less competent in powder than longer boards, but this isn't the realm of the non-skiier: you just want to get them to see the fun in traveling down the hill in control.

For people who already ski competently, it is a different story. The light weight feeling and ease of turning that skiboards provide can feel really unstable at first for someone coming directly from skis. How they ride on skis and possible participation in other sports (like ice skating) would help determine what size skiboard may be a good start.

For skiiers with a "traditional" style (i.e.: leaning too far back, feet too close) who are comfortable on the whole mountain, I would probably recommend something longer like a Sherpa. They'll probably be surprised at how fun yet stable a "ski" that short can be.

For skiiers with a modern style (centered, more athletic stance) who are comfortable on the whole mountain, I would recommend something in the longer shortboard range, 100cm-110cm. They'll probably be able to handle the length change and see the difference to determine if it is for them. (Assuming we're on the East Coast... a big powder day on the West, I would probably recommend something longer for this crowd, since shorter boards require a technique that quite different from longer skis in powder.)

For skiiers who can "manage" around the mountain (mostly ride greens/blues, maybe an occasional black), I would probably recommend the Blunts or other short boards <= 100cm. This group usually has trouble managing their skis, especially as they approach the limits of their comfort zone. Short boards could be a real eye opener here, as it usually lets this crowd explore anywhere on the mountain, when they were previously limited. Really any skiboard or ski shorter than "full length" will help these riders, and usually the shorter the better. The one exception here would be if there is serious powder, where I might put them on something in the 105-120 range to prevent their fore-aft stability from becoming an issue.

Comment

Thanks Kirk

I did think of the blunts .... I have found the rocker in the Spruce LE125 to be quite easy to handle in most conditions including a good 6-8 inch snow day .... my concern was forward aft stability mostly but also putting them into a non release binding. I have not tried these bindings but will have a set next week and give them a shot. I guess coming from the ski direction it seems like a safety hazard which I would not wish to jeopardize my day job:-) Thanks for the input!! I may have to keep an eye out for a used set .....
      Twoowt Lions RVL8 Rockered Condor-Revel8 SlapDash "Crayon"-Spuce Mountain "Sherpa" 130 Red Plaid-"125 LE" White Boards-120 "Chair Lift"-Summit Boards "Marauder 125SE"-"Rocker Inverigo 118"-"Custom 110"-"Nomad 99""Jade 87"-2014 Spruce Mountain "Pro Sport Riser" Tyrolia SL 100 Bindings (2 sets-325mm & 295mm settings)-Line FF Pro & FF Cam None Release Bindings-2013/14 Nordica "13/14 Cruise 80 & 60" ski boot

Comment

Originally posted by KBell36 View Post
        I did think of the blunts .... I have found the rocker in the Spruce LE125 to be quite east to handle in most conditions including a good 6-8 inch snow day .... my concern was forward aft stability mostly but also putting them into a non release binding. I have not tried these bindings but will have a set next week and give them a shot. I guess coming from the ski direction it seems like a safety hazard which I would not wish to jeopardize my day job:-) Thanks for the input!! I may have to keep an eye out for a used set .....
        You should be fine putting Spruce releasables on the Blunts. In addition to the safety concern, non-releasables are sometimes frustrating for skiiers who are used to just stepping into their bindings.

Comment

KBell36 - Great job promoting the sport and getting people to try out skiboards!

I have to agree with Kirk that the Blunts would be an excellent board for people that haven't skied before. I've ridden them with spruce risers and they worked very well, so you definitely can ride them with releasables. That's one of the great things about skiboards. We can mix and match bindings and boards depending on preference or conditions. So many combinations that work! The Blunt XLs might be better due to their fore/aft stability, but I haven't ridden them (yet!), so I'll let others chime in regarding those.
          favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

Comment

Thanks had a newby out today. She said she had skied in high school maybe in college 1 or 2 times. (in mid 50's now) Likes the outdoors but said she would never ski. Her husband has stopped skiing as she had no interest. She was willing to try skiboards with my promise it was not skiing. I'll try to get a video up. Started her on the magic carpet worked our way to black(total error on my part first time at this mountain) she "not happy" did well. I need to get some more boards I hade her on Jade 87's. We are now looking at boards for her. Her husband after watching videos is looking to demo and I think he will come on over as well. I think he will be my size boot or close I am looking at Spruce Mountain Boards for him as he has spent much time on skis. He will be allow to try anything I can put him into of mine. I hope to have a demo binding for 4x4 soon. Maybe configure one from Spruce setup. Trying to put one together for easy boot swaps.

Comment

I love what you are doing here. If it is an ongoing project, I would look into buying a few pairs of something like the Head 94 cm skiboards. They are great for beginners and come with a demo binding to fit anyone. They would be quick and easy for you to use and set up for newbies. A lot of members learned to skiboard on the Head 94s. It would be far easier than trying to convert risers to accept demo bindings, and safer than using non release bindings.

Once they've been out a few times, your members could then decide on getting their own boards and choose bindings to suit them. Revel *8 and Spruce of course!

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Nice! Always good to hear more people coming into the sport.

Comment

Great to see new recruits!

I'm kinda doing the same with my friends through Facebook with posts leading up to weekend trips such as Embrace Winter, Own The Hill, Live Without Regrets or You Only Live Once, all in an attempt to get out and join me. 6 people I have awaken from their winter hibernation from past seasons that are committed to going skiing again or try skiboarding for the first time, one whom actually purchased a season pass. I was never a fan of winter until I forced myself to enjoy it 3 years ago, now I never want it to end. With a new Sony Action Cam I can now flood my feed/timeline with more photos, video's and slow-mo clips of awesome skiboard adventures in an attempt at growing the sport here on the far east. I can see ordering a pair of XL's, Slapdash's and even KTP's plus an extra pair of Revolts in the not so distant future for demo and personal use.
                  Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
                  Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
                  Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
                    You should be fine putting Spruce releasables on the Blunts. In addition to the safety concern, non-releasables are sometimes frustrating for skiiers who are used to just stepping into their bindings.
                    Truth. I'm considering purchasing release bindings just because I hate binding up!
                    Riding: RVL8 '15 Rockered Condors
                    Bindings: RVL8 '15 Black Receptors | Tyrolia Attack 13 Release Bindings
                    Boots: Full Tilt '14 Booters - 27.5

Comment

Originally posted by wushuguy View Post
                      Truth. I'm considering purchasing release bindings just because I hate binding up!
                      If you're using Receptors and having issues, there are some simple tweaks to the bindings that can make it easier to get them on and off.
                      Boards/Bindings:
                      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

New skiboarder comments

My student sent me this, comments on our day last week on the slopes ......

Until I ski boarded yesterday, I hadn’t been on skis in 30 years. I was never any good, even then. Back then I could just about manage a stem christie turn and I had no confidence on the slopes. Sometimes I could make a turn or sometimes not. It was kind of a crap shoot, which didn’t make for a lot of fun out there, wondering if I was going to sail off the edge of the trail if I couldn’t make the turn. My ability to stop wasn’t much better.

So yesterday I tried Jade ski boards, short ones, and started on the bunny slope. Ken taught me to make a skate-type stop in no time. I felt I could stop anytime I needed to…which was a boost to my confidence. Then he taught me how to turn. It was so easy I couldn’t believe it. The boards actually did what I wanted them to do, which was shocking. I never fought the boards yesterday, like I used to have to do on skis. I had never grasped the concept of how to use edges on skis, back then, but on the boards yesterday using the edges felt natural. I am not sure how else to put it. The ski board experience was just easy and fun.

The whole day was nothing but fun and pretty much in-control skiing. Green trails and blue trails were no problem at all. I was more confident than I ever was on skis. I had a blast…. well except for when we ended up on a black diamond trail by mistake. But even then, I managed to get down the hill without killing myself, or Ken.

Comment

Some video

She did have fun her first day

Comment

Another video earlyer

After I took a wrong turn .....

Comment

Teach in an easy relaxed stop

Nice relaxed controlled stop

Comment

Working...
                              X