Advice for New (middle aged) Skiboarder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for New (middle aged) Skiboarder

Hello. I was happy to find this forum and eager for advice on which skiboards to purchase.

I 'm a former skier but haven't skied in years. My husband and three kids snowboard. I tried snowboarding but didn't care for it.

I recently learned about skiboarding and it seems like a perfect way for me to return to the slopes.

I'm 5'8", 185 lbs, bad knees. I was never a speed demon when skiing, was more interested in carving nice turns down the mountain. I expect to spend most of my time with my 11 yr old daughter on the greens, taking our time. No moguls or terrain parks for us. As for snow conditions, we live in the midwest so we head to Wisconsin or Michigan.

Given my inability to rent, I've narrowed down my choices after some research and would be grateful for feedback. I'd like to find a pair of skiboards that well balance stability and ease of turning.

Here's my list: 1) Spruce 120 STS; 2) Summit Custom 110; 3) RVL8 Rumspringa 103; 4) Summit Headwall 95.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Welcome. Given your background I could only really recommend the Spruce 120. It has nice support front and back so you don't suffer much fore and aft pitch, which can be so hard on the knees. Your skiing skills will transfer very well to 120s too. They have a well damped comfortable ride and a huge performance envelope so you won't feel the need to upgrade.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

I will second Valmorel's recommendation to go with the Spruce 120s. The 120s were my first upgraded board after trying a skiblade product. Now I have a bunch of boards in my quiver but the 120s are still my favorite all-mountain skiboard. This season my wife switched from long skis to 120s and loved them.

For the riding you describe they will be perfect. I ride mine alongside my 8 and 10 year-olds. The 120s were perfect when my girls were learning and sticking to the greens but still allow me to keep up now that my girls have progressed to the black diamonds and the glades. They are a great cruiser that can handle most conditions including the ice that we get in the East and Midwest. Your skiing skills will transfer to them but you'll find they are more forgiving than traditional skis. They provide a softer ride than the other boards you listed and may be easier on your knees.

Typically you can buy the 120s with bindings direct from Jeff Singer at Spruce as a package deal. They look sold out on his website but contact him and see if he help you out if you are interested. http://spruceskis.weebly.com/contact.html
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I agree that the Spruce 120 is an excellent choice , the other great option from Spruce is the new Spruce 125 which will be called the Raptor . Jeff Singer is expecting his shipment of Raptors soon and next fall both the Spruce 120 and the 125 will be offered in packages with bindings at an attractive price . Both skiboards are provided with set back inserts . For ex skiers I have found that often the set back inserts make the skiboards a bit more familiar and more ski like in performance. But the cool thing about the Spruce riser binding system is you can try both positions , center mount or 5cm back on either board and see what you like better, Some folks prefer the 120s more , others the 125s , they are different in feel and I think you will get more input on this thread .
        Both boards are very easy turning ,, easy on the knees and great choices . Many riders on this forum own both and have purchased the original prototype version of the Spruce 125 which was called the Spruce 125 LE... now branded the Spruce Raptor.
        Here is some info on the new Spruce 125
        http://spruceskis.weebly.com/the-spr...-skiboard.html

ps . one important thing to know about Spruce boards is that they are designed to be used with the Spruce riser/binding system and not to be drilled with regular ski bindings . The Spruce risers with regular ski binding is designed to be just attached by machine screws to the board rather then drilled . Right now Jeff at Spruce has 120 boards in stock but no bindings . He will have bindings available this coming fall along with the boards to sell as a package.
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Advice for New (middle aged) Skiboarder

Thanks very much for your detailed replies and excellent advice. I was strongly leaning toward the Spruce 120s, glad that my instincts were correct. I will indeed contact Spruce and also post this winter once I've had my first rides. Thanks again.

Comment

The Raptors are a fantastic board, in my opinion much better than the 120's. My wife took to them straight away, also a lady we met on holiday tried them and totally loved them.
            Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
            Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

Spruce 120s were my first longboards (greater than 110cm in length). I skied years ago and not well, did not do any type of snow sports for over 15 years, learned to snowboard at 42 years old, wised up 3 years later and took up skboarding and never looked back. I skied the 120s a lot (over 30 times per year) for a few years in the northeast and found them to be very good boards. I have since moved on to Spruce Sherpas because I really like to ski fast and carve hard - beyond the performance capabilities of the 120s. For what you are describing the 120s would be a very good choice. Pair them with the Pro Sport risers - no need to pay the extra money for the Pro Prime Plus risers.

I have skied the Raptors (also known as the Spruce 125) a number of times. The Raptors are good boards but for me they are specialty boards - good for softer groomed snow that is in good condition. Anything other than that, such as frozen hardback, icy or rutted up conditions, and I don't enjoy the ride of the Raptors at all - very harsh and they get kicked around a lot at speed in those types of conditions - at least for me.
              In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
              Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I originally came to skiboarding due to bad knees, and have found that the shorter the board the less pain I get. I'm sure this is due to less torque. I have tried most of the lengths in our line up and find the my "pain threshold" to be at 100cm or less.

Whatever you choose, you won't be cruising the greens for long. Get ready to experience the whole mountain.
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Blunts?

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                  I originally came to skiboarding due to bad knees, and have found that the shorter the board the less pain I get. I'm sure this is due to less torque. I have tried most of the lengths in our line up and find the my "pain threshold" to be at 100cm or less.

Whatever you choose, you won't be cruising the greens for long. Get ready to experience the whole mountain.
                  Maybe Blunts with Spruce Pro Prime Plus Risers would be kinder on the original poster's (EnjoyNow) knees then than 120s? I'm quite short and I found it less effort to initiate turns on the Blunts than on my old 120s.
                  Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                  Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                  Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                    Maybe Blunts with Spruce Pro Prime Plus Risers would be kinder on the original poster's (EnjoyNow) knees then than 120s? I'm quite short and I found it less effort to initiate turns on the Blunts than on my old 120s.
                    So now that Gromit has thrown the Blunts into the mix I will add that they are very easy to ride and have perhaps the highest size to fun ratio of any skiboard. They will be a very different experience than skiing so if you are looking for something familiar to you skiing past they won't be it. However, the Blunts are super easy to use and perhaps the very essence of what skiboarding is about.
                    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by EnjoyNow View Post
                      As for snow conditions, we live in the midwest so we head to Wisconsin or Michigan.
                      First off, WELCOME to SBOL! If you happen to be anywhere near Champaign IL you're welcome to try out my 120's next time your family heads out. If you're new to the midwest, I would suggest joining a local ski club. You'll get great deals on trips and make some great friends.

Comment

Welcome to SBOL. To add to the advice (I own Revolts and Sherpas), it is difficult to imagine that the 120 will not be a great choice for you. As an ex-skier you may not be so comfortable on the shorter boards and, if you don't ride like Bluewing, the Sherpas may be overkill (but still an easy ride - I love them).
                        My wife has dodgy knees and this year she tried Ski Mojo for support. An absolutely brilliant product. It protects her knees, prevents pain, reduces fatigue and improves her posture. Very highly recommended.
                        If your knee pain gets worse as the board gets longer, then maybe your turning skills need a little work to avoid pivoting. Let the ski shape do the hard work instead of your knees. Or get Ski Mojo :-).

Comment

Working...
                        X