Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What board / binding are you riding this year?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milo View Post
    ...one thing im bummed at they have the dreaded drilled in binding with no 4 hole patteren...and i learned that that is a no no....but as soon as the snow starts falling ill be there...
    What you want to avoid are composite (plastic non release) direct fix bindings. Your Summits probably have a demo style release binding that is fixed to the board like a ski. On a board this short, you may get a little flat spot in the flex, but there should be no other issues.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Well I went with the blunts xl. Can't believe the width difference between my summet headwall. can't wait till december

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

Those look sharp! The XLs are a great choice.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
          Those look sharp! The XLs are a great choice.
          The more I see that graphic, the more it grows on me.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

As a break with tradition, the protos have graphics. Some have called it Road Trip. Whatever, I really like it, but the space graphic looks great too.
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
              As a break with tradition, the protos have graphics. Some have called it Road Trip. Whatever, I really like it, but the space graphic looks great too.
              Protos? New Graphics? ..... Are you being a tease or is this just your normal summer jiggery pokery?
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                Protos? New Graphics? ..... Are you being a tease or is this just your normal summer jiggery pokery?
                No no, you misunderstood. This is the XL protos of two years ago.
                Go Android

Comment

No no, you misunderstood. This is the XL protos of two years ago.
                  Ah. My mistake. But given your history it was a logical conclusion. So did you get any Greco care packages to test at the snow dome this summer??
                  Boards:
                  2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Sadly nothing. All very quiet.
                    Go Android

Comment

• Revolts or Rockered Condors?

I've just ski'ed my first two seasons ever skiing, on Revolts, in Colorado.

At the end of last season, I tried some Blunt XL's and I liked them, and was thinking about buying a pair, but alas, they are sold out.

Should I pick up a pair of Rockered Condors (simply because I liked the Blunt XL's rocker)?

I use Tyrolia 13 Release Bindings, and currently plan to stick with them (may eventually switch to soft boots and the soft boot bindings by RVL8).

Revolts are great, but we had an incredible El Nino last season, which meant a lot of powder, and a lot of chunk, and I didn't fair well in either. Had to stick to the groomed; maybe it was partially mental. Either way, I didn't progress as I had wished.

I like the RC's are rated 10 for powder, when the Revolts are a 7. However, I don't like the RC has a carve rating of 6, while the Revolts are a 10.

I understand the RC's will be harder to carve because they're wider, but I think I'll have more fun on them overall. I'd consider myself aggressive on groomed greens, lol (39mph), and a wuss on the ungroomed/powder/steeps. Thoughts, please?
                      Rigs as of 2021
                      - RVL8 Revolt Trees w/ Tyrolia Attack2 13 Demo
                      - Summit Invertigo's w/ Salomon Shift MNC 13 AT Bindings
                      with Dalbello Quantum Free 110

Comment

• I
                        RC s are fantastic in pow and variable, they carve well in soft groomer s but you will have to side slip or slave much more then the Revolts in icy conditions but with the RC and the Revolts you will have the perfect quiver to cover all conditions, anyways that is my two cents
                        Boards :
                        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                        Boots
                        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                        Bindings:
                        Zero Pro Non release Binding
                        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

• Maybe the Spliff might be the best of both worlds?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                          Go Android

Comment

• Looks like you could use a soft snow/powder board. As much as I liked the revolts on groomers (but not icy firm), they just don't have enough area and have camber that makes them not great in softer conditions.

As I started to go faster, I also found I preferred boards with longer turn radius than the revolts for carving, like the 120s.

I would be very curious to try the Ospreys - everyone says they are excellent in most conditions.

What I did last year was go back to long skis though - great for carving on groomers, great in deeper/softer conditions. You just can't beat long skis for edge grab and support when needed and stability at speed. But need lots of space to open-up and have a nice carve compared to skiboards.

Also, the modified short skis from Jeff (Head Ethan Too and Head the Caddy Jr) turned out to be the best skiboards-like devices I've tried on groomed slopes.

But the shortness of shrt-ish skiboards is something I'm still drawn to and will keep a pair or two for this season too. The Revolts I had last season were among my favorites for short turns and fun, so keep 'um and add something with more width and length and rocker for soft conditions.

Originally posted by mikeingram71 View Post

At the end of last season, I tried some Blunt XL's and I liked them, and was thinking about buying a pair, but alas, they are sold out.

Should I pick up a pair of Rockered Condors (simply because I liked the Blunt XL's rocker)?

I use Tyrolia 13 Release Bindings, and currently plan to stick with them (may eventually switch to soft boots and the soft boot bindings by RVL8).

Revolts are great, but we had an incredible El Nino last season, which meant a lot of powder, and a lot of chunk, and I didn't fair well in either. Had to stick to the groomed; maybe it was partially mental. Either way, I didn't progress as I had wished.

I like the RC's are rated 10 for powder, when the Revolts are a 7. However, I don't like the RC has a carve rating of 6, while the Revolts are a 10.

I understand the RC's will be harder to carve because they're wider, but I think I'll have more fun on them overall. I'd consider myself aggressive on groomed greens, lol (39mph), and a wuss on the ungroomed/powder/steeps. Thoughts, please?

Comment

• Originally posted by mikeingram71 View Post

At the end of last season, I tried some Blunt XL's and I liked them, and was thinking about buying a pair, but alas, they are sold out. .......... Thoughts, please?
                              I would hold off on making an alternative decision. Greco has the Blunt XLs shown in his 2017 line up graphic so I would imagine he is ordering more and they may be back in stock for the upcoming season. Shoot him an email and check.

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                              RC s are fantastic in pow and variable, they carve well in soft groomer s but you will have to side slip or slave much more then the Revolts in icy conditions but with the RC and the Revolts you will have the perfect quiver to cover all conditions, anyways that is my two cents
                              I agree with the two board quiver concept suggested by Jack. The RCs for Pow and Soft Snow days. The Revolts for groomer days. This is one way you could go.

Maybe the Spliff might be the best of both worlds?
                              This was going to be my suggestion and Valmorel beat me to it. The Spliffs give you a little more width and length plus tip and tail rocker. They are not a pow specific board but have extended capabilities beyond the Revolts and their footprint is only slightly smaller than the RCs. During my Colorado trip last year I rode the Spliffs exclusively the entire time in all conditions. We did not get heavy pow (over 12") but in everything from ice to light pow to soft Spring snow they did great. The RCs require you to really pay attention to your fore/aft balance with their aggressive rocker (more so than the Blunt XLs) and the fore/aft support of the Spliffs is more forgiving and closer to the Revolts. The only caution with the Spliffs is I really think they respond to an aggressive/up right riding style. They really seem to work for me and they would be my board of choice if I lived in Colorado.
                              Boards:
                              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

• Originally posted by Wookie View Post

This was going to be my suggestion and Valmorel beat me to it. The Spliffs give you a little more width and length plus tip and tail rocker. They are not a pow specific board but have extended capabilities beyond the Revolts and their footprint is only slightly smaller than the RCs. During my Colorado trip last year I rode the Spliffs exclusively the entire time in all conditions. We did not get heavy pow (over 12") but in everything from ice to light pow to soft Spring snow they did great. The RCs require you to really pay attention to your fore/aft balance with their aggressive rocker (more so than the Blunt XLs) and the fore/aft support of the Spliffs is more forgiving and closer to the Revolts. The only caution with the Spliffs is I really think they respond to an aggressive/up right riding style. They really seem to work for me and they would be my board of choice if I lived in Colorado.

According to Jjue, set back is the secret to taming the Spliff. Otherwise, yes, suited to aggressive riders.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                                Go Android

Comment

Working...
                                X