Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The yearly "What are you doing to get ready for the season?" thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The yearly "What are you doing to get ready for the season?" thread.

From around age thirty-three to about forty-one I was an exercise fanatic. I participated in several running, biking, and inline skating events, and I also spent nearly every day at the gym. It always kept me in tiptop condition for skiboarding. A point came when I burned out on it all, quit the gym and pretty much all activities I had once been addicted to, except for skiboarding of course. It didn't take long for my fitness level to become average at best.

Well, about a week ago I rejoined my old gym. After saying I would never go back to working out at an overpriced health club, I suddenly have the desire again. I've been going at it hard all week. I hope to build up the endurance I once had. Who knows!..I might even start running again.

Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

I quit martial arts at the end of last year after after eight years of constant training and competing. I took a few months off then got the itch to exercise again. I spent the summer learning how to inline in the park for balance and I do two miles a night on my treadmill for ebdurance. I'll be ready when it snows.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I try to maintain a good level of fitness all year round doing something aerobic 5 to 6 days per week, using my Total Gym for strength training 3 days a week. About mid-September I start throwing in extra things to get ready for the ski season. I try to ride my cyclocross bike a bit more to build leg strength. I start using my Vew Do balance board about 3 times a week; doing squats, toe raises, leg swings and knee raises to build strength and endurance; stand on one leg in between work-out activities during rest periods. I also start doing some more static angulation exercises and visualizations of the skiing motion.

and, of course, wall sits - which I really don't enjoy but I force myself to do because I believe that the pain I suffer will be returned to me as joy on the mountain.

No matter what I will always have a bit of soreness the first few times out - nothing can fully simulate skiing. But, as John Mellencamp said "....it hurts so good..."
      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
        I start using my Vew Do balance board about 3 times a week;
        What do you think of the Vew Do, is it safe on the knees?

Comment

Not enough!

I am going to get smoked by you guys. I better get my butt in gear and start working out before the season starts.
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Having open heart surgery

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              What do you think of the Vew Do, is it safe on the knees?
              I have the "Flow" model (http://www.vewdo.com/intermediate/flow.php). I have used it for somewhere around 6 or 7 years now. No knee issues when using it and my knees are not the most robust anymore. It has held up great.
              In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
              Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I have been slacking off all summer (as I always do). Now that the weather has turned cooler I realize winter will be here soon and will kick my ass if I don't prepare so I have been logging about an hour a day on inline skates and at the ice rink and basketball court as much as I can. I never much cared for the gym and traditional workouts (even when I was playing college ice hockey).
                Boards:
                2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post

Oh my! Wishing you the best with that.
                  Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                    I have the "Flow" model (http://www.vewdo.com/intermediate/flow.php). I have used it for somewhere around 6 or 7 years now. No knee issues when using it and my knees are not the most robust anymore. It has held up great.
                    I bought a cheap wobble board a few months back. It's hard to say if it's doing anything for me. I have weak angles, so I was hoping it would strengthen them. I have considered buying an Indo Board, but haven't because they are pricey.
                    Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                        Oh my! Wishing you the best with that.
                        Thanks. It's very scary

Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                          Good luck.
                          Thanks. Might be able to get a lightweight trip in March

Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                            I bought a cheap wobble board a few months back. It's hard to say if it's doing anything for me. I have weak angles, so I was hoping it would strengthen them. I have considered buying an Indo Board, but haven't because they are pricey.

For those wanting an inexpensive way. I built my own Indo Board using just a piece of one by twelve. I fastened two one by ones on the bottom to keep from rolling out and I used a 4 inch PCV pipe with duct tape wrapped around it for the roller on the bottom. I think it cost me about ten bucks. The cool thing is you can shape the board however you like.
                            64 CM Bigfoot’s
                            100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
                            110 CM Rockered Condors
                            130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

When is this happening? I'm hoping for the best for you for sure.
                              Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                              Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                              Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                              History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Working...
                              X