Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mountains in or close to NY. Thunder Ridge Mountain worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountains in or close to NY. Thunder Ridge Mountain worth it?

Hi guys,

Snow season is starting and i wanted to know which mountain (season pass) is the best bang for the buck?

in between going to the bigger mountains in vermont , maine, etc. my girlfriend and i want to hit up a local mountain to get our practice in so we can enjoy the bigger mountains when we go on group trips.

i know there are a few mountains near by NYC. Camel Back, Mountain Creek, Mount Peter, Thuderridge...etc

from what i saw , Thunderridge is the closest (1 hour away) any opinions on that mountain? worth it?

or do you guys sugguest travel a little further , pay a little more and get a bitter mountain?

any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by Gpang827 View Post
    Hi guys,

Snow season is starting and i wanted to know which mountain (season pass) is the best bang for the buck?

in between going to the bigger mountains in vermont , maine, etc. my girlfriend and i want to hit up a local mountain to get our practice in so we can enjoy the bigger mountains when we go on group trips.

i know there are a few mountains near by NYC. Camel Back, Mountain Creek, Mount Peter, Thuderridge...etc

from what i saw , Thunderridge is the closest (1 hour away) any opinions on that mountain? worth it?

or do you guys sugguest travel a little further , pay a little more and get a bitter mountain?

any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    Don't waste your time with Thunder Ridge unless you live down the block. Within 3 -31/2 hrs of Long Island in NY are Hunter, Bellayre and Windham.

Comment

Originally posted by Quattrofan View Post
      Don't waste your time with Thunder Ridge unless you live down the block ......
      I'll second that. It's fine if you live or work nearby and are just looking to get a few hours in and then do something the rest of the day. There is nothing wrong with a small local hill and you still might want to consider it if this is what you are looking for. Heck the season pass is cheap and would get you discounts at some of the bigger mountains:

But if you are already driving an hour put a little more wheel time in and get a better experience (Elk, Hunter, etc.). Of the places you listed Mountain Creek is okay but can get crowded. I can't stand Camelback, the lift lines on the weekend can be 30 minutes deep, the main park area is an additional fee, and the mountain is a lot of disconnected terrain so a ton of skating if you don't use poles.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

ahh i see. which mountain do you reccommend that dosen't get too packed?

Comment

Originally posted by Gpang827 View Post
          ahh i see. which mountain do you reccommend that dosen't get too packed?
          Beaver Creek, CO.

All kidding aside just about every mountain in close to NY and Philly (Blue, Camel Back, Mountain Creek, JFBB, Etc.) get overrun on the weekends especially MLK Day weekend and President's day. If you drive a little farther out you better your chances of reduced crowds. But it's a balancing act if you are trying to get a lot of days in and don't want spend all your time driving. I would suggest trying Elk, Hunter, or Windham better conditions and a reasonable drive.

Since your original question was around the best value for a season pass I suggest that you take this season to figure out what mountain you like. Try to ride all the mountains in close to where you live and pick the one that works for you next season. I find that I can work enough deals and discounts that I ride all over the place and don't spend much more than a season pass. Each mountain has it's own idiosyncrasies that sometimes you can use to beat the crowds and get a better day. For instance the mountains closer to Philly don't build to the max crowds until noon so you can get some good conditions and short lift lines if you are an early riser. At Mountain Creek you can get up the mountain faster if you use the singles line and split up from your friends for the ride up the mountain.
          Boards:
          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Mountains in or close to NY. Thunder Ridge Mountain worth it?

I'll say it again. My first season I must have spent 10 or 15 days at bellayre. It's right near hunter. No crowd. There were days when my buddy and I were riding corduroy at 2 in the afternoon!

It's not a challenge for me anymore, but if I was looking for something close to New York. Or to spend the day teaching someone to ride, I would go to bellayre any day over hunter or elk, windham or anywhere else!

Also if you pay attention and can ski on weekdays. They usually run $25 days Wednesday and Friday for most of the season.

I'm gonna get 45 days on the mountain this year if it kills me!
            33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

To all the Pa and Nj boarders, has anybody been to Ski Roundtop in Lewisberry Pa. I've been to many car swap meets there in warmer weather. I should be there next Saturday again.

Just curious.

Comment

Where in New York do you live?

I grew up in Orange County, NY and called Mountain Creek my home for the past two and a half years. It was, at maximum, maybe a 40 minute ride. Granted, I spent 95% of my time on South in the park, it was definitely something I would do if I still lived in the area full-time. It was the closest/best terrain park to where I lived. The mountain tends to get very packed, so that's something to be cautious of. Anything else you'd like to know about Mountain Creek, let me know. I'd be more than happy to answer.

More upstate, like other people mentioned, there is Hunter, Windham, and Belleayre. While they didn't have the greatest park (ask Dave Bloom about that one haha), Windham is definitely a fun mountain. Awesome terrain. I look forward to potentially making another trip out there this year. I haven't ridden Hunter or Belleayre yet, but I haven't necessarily heard anything bad about them. I know the three mountains are all in pretty close proximity to each other.

Anything else you might want to know about riding in the area, ask away. Let me know where you're at and where you're riding and maybe we can get together this season while I'm back in New York!
                I Ski 4 Smitty.

Comment

Sounds good. PM me.

Originally posted by Ethan View Post
                  Where in New York do you live?

I grew up in Orange County, NY and called Mountain Creek my home for the past two and a half years. It was, at maximum, maybe a 40 minute ride. Granted, I spent 95% of my time on South in the park, it was definitely something I would do if I still lived in the area full-time. It was the closest/best terrain park to where I lived. The mountain tends to get very packed, so that's something to be cautious of. Anything else you'd like to know about Mountain Creek, let me know. I'd be more than happy to answer.

More upstate, like other people mentioned, there is Hunter, Windham, and Belleayre. While they didn't have the greatest park (ask Dave Bloom about that one haha), Windham is definitely a fun mountain. Awesome terrain. I look forward to potentially making another trip out there this year. I haven't ridden Hunter or Belleayre yet, but I haven't necessarily heard anything bad about them. I know the three mountains are all in pretty close proximity to each other.

Anything else you might want to know about riding in the area, ask away. Let me know where you're at and where you're riding and maybe we can get together this season while I'm back in New York!

Comment

Working...
                  X