First skiboard experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First skiboard experience

Yesterday I tried skiboards for the first time. Rented a pair from the one shop by the resort. They gave me 99cm elan boards with release bindings and dalbello boots.

First couple runs I just did easy trails to get a feel for the way they worked. Haven't been out on anything board, ski, etc in about 8 years. Everything went well. Took me a few runs to get carving and stopping down but I got it quickly. My friend who was with me is semi experienced on boards so that helped too. He got me to go down some blue runs as well once I got my confidence up a bit. Next thing I know we were in the park and I was sliding boxes and going off smaller jumps already. Very impressed with myself actually. I will admit I'm more of a park guy anyways so that kinda came naturally.

Wanna go back up again soon preferably borrowing someone's ktp's to see what better boards feel like. I'd like to try non release bindings but I'm getting older and my knees are shot from sports so maybe release may be the way to go.

Only negative I found was my shins are wrecked from those boots. I did a lot of walking in them though maybe that was a factor.

Originally posted by FPenvy View Post

Wanna go back up again soon preferably borrowing someone's ktp's to see what better boards feel like. I'd like to try non release bindings but I'm getting older and my knees are shot from sports so maybe release may be the way to go.
    Modern release ski bindings are designed to protect you from lower leg fractures and not knee injuries. What will ultimately protect your knees is the shorter length of skiboards. If you want the advantages of non release bindings, and your only worry is your knees, I would go with them.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
      Modern release ski bindings are designed to protect you from lower leg fractures and not knee injuries. What will ultimately protect your knees is the shorter length of skiboards. If you want the advantages of non release bindings, and your only worry is your knees, I would go with them.
      Good info

I just used 99s this time and plan on only going up to 101 ktp's so that should help. In the 7 hours I was on the slopes I only had the release bindings let go about 3-5 times.

What's the performance differences between release and non?

Comment

I'm kind of in your boat, I have both Spruce Pro Sport risers and Bomber non releasable bindings and I'm torn with which one to use. I rode the Bomber's for 2 days and I seem to like them. From what I read for the average joe the difference may not be noticeable but for more sensitive seasoned people the releasable can feel unresponsive?

Here's some info from the FAQ

*Release bindings*
        Pro's:
        - Step-in
        - They release
        - Some offer the possibility to use brakes instead of leashes
        Con's:
        - Heavier than non-release
        - Typically more expensive than non-release
        - By nature of the release mechanism they do not offer as tight a connection as non-release however with the new Spruce aluminum 2.0 risers it's getting close
        - Setup involves DIN and forward pressure settings

What I can't grasp my head around (still new), how does one release themselves from the releasable bindings without a pole?
        2010 Revolt Bullseye | Bomber Elite Bindings | Dalbello Voodoo Boots

Comment

Originally posted by mikalcarbine View Post
          I'm kind of in your boat, I have both Spruce Pro Sport risers and Bomber non releasable bindings and I'm torn with which one to use. I rode the Bomber's for 2 days and I seem to like them. From what I read for the average joe the difference may not be noticeable but for more sensitive seasoned people the releasable can feel unresponsive?

Here's some info from the FAQ

*Release bindings*
          Pro's:
          - Step-in
          - They release
          - Some offer the possibility to use brakes instead of leashes
          Con's:
          - Heavier than non-release
          - Typically more expensive than non-release
          - By nature of the release mechanism they do not offer as tight a connection as non-release however with the new Spruce aluminum 2.0 risers it's getting close
          - Setup involves DIN and forward pressure settings

What I can't grasp my head around (still new), how does one release themselves from the releasable bindings without a pole?
          Thanks for the FAQ facts.

When I was using them this weekend I just used my one board to release myself and then used the free foot to release the other.

Comment

Good info

I just used 99s this time and plan on only going up to 101 ktp's so that should help. In the 7 hours I was on the slopes I only had the release bindings let go about 3-5 times.

What's the performance differences between release and non?
            For me it's about better responsiveness and feel with non release. Plus they are significantly lighter.

Safety issues aside, the Risers can give you better leverage for carving due to their height.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I enjoy the extra responsiveness, as well. To me, it's the most noticeable and most important difference in having non-release bindings. I also feel the surface I'm on a whole lot better, which helps with overall control.
              Boards
              Revel8 2011 Condor
              Revel8 2009 Revolt "Condor Graphic"
              Revel8 2008 KTP

Bindings
              Tyrolia Attack 13 on Spruce Risers
              Bomber Elite II

Boots
              Nordica 2012 Double Six
              Salomon 2010 Impact 8 CS

Booze
              Crown Royal
              Maker's Mark
              Tito's Handmade Vodka

Brews
              Pabst Blue Ribbon
              Bell's Hop Slam

Injuries
              2012 - (Left) Torn MCL
              2013 - (Right) Torn Deltoid Ligament & Tibial Fracture

Comment

Yea I'm hoping to try some non release bindings next time I go. Hopefully Kirk is around to let me try a old pair of his ktp's

Comment

Yea I'm hoping to try some non release bindings next time I go. Hopefully Kirk is around to let me try a old pair of his ktp's
                  Like I've mentioned before, I have a spare pair of 08 KTPs with non-release bindings. You can definitely try them out. I'll be up there this Saturday, and not at the mercy of a huge group of drunks!
                  Boards
                  Revel8 2011 Condor
                  Revel8 2008 KTP

Bindings
                  Bomber Elite II

Boots
                  Nordica 2012 Double Six
                  Salomon 2010 Impact 8 CS

Booze
                  Crown Royal
                  Maker's Mark
                  Tito's Handmade Vodka

Brews
                  Pabst Blue Ribbon
                  Bell's Hop Slam

Injuries
                  2012 - (Left) Torn MCL

Comment

Originally posted by Romolo View Post
                    Like I've mentioned before, I have a spare pair of 08 KTPs with non-release bindings. You can definitely try them out. I'll be up there this Saturday, and not at the mercy of a huge group of drunks!
                    Thanks man. My friends will be there again. however I will be out of town getting my car tuned and dyno'd for spring/summer.

Comment

Thanks man. My friends will be there again. however I will be out of town getting my car tuned and dyno'd for spring/summer.
                      Cool, what are you driving?
                      Boards
                      Revel8 2011 Condor
                      Revel8 2008 KTP

Bindings
                      Bomber Elite II

Boots
                      Nordica 2012 Double Six
                      Salomon 2010 Impact 8 CS

Booze
                      Crown Royal
                      Maker's Mark
                      Tito's Handmade Vodka

Brews
                      Pabst Blue Ribbon
                      Bell's Hop Slam

Injuries
                      2012 - (Left) Torn MCL

Comment

Cool, what are you driving?
                        Nissan 370z

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362623132.240638.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	244788

Last edited by Greco; 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Nissan 370z

[ATTACH]3035[/ATTACH]

Very nice! I'm definitely a fan of the Z car. What kind of mods do you have in there? My buddy had a 350 with an Injen CAI, Borla True-Dual exhaust, a plenum spacer and a modified final drive gear. It definitely hauled ass!
                          Boards
                          Revel8 2011 Condor
                          Revel8 2008 KTP

Bindings
                          Bomber Elite II

Boots
                          Nordica 2012 Double Six
                          Salomon 2010 Impact 8 CS

Booze
                          Crown Royal
                          Maker's Mark
                          Tito's Handmade Vodka

Brews
                          Pabst Blue Ribbon
                          Bell's Hop Slam

Injuries
                          2012 - (Left) Torn MCL

Comment

Very nice! I'm definitely a fan of the Z car. What kind of mods do you have in there? My buddy had a 350 with an Injen CAI, Borla True-Dual exhaust, a plenum spacer and a modified final drive gear. It definitely hauled ass!
                            Full custom made racing exhaust. No cats no resonators just pure power and very loud. Custom made racing dual intakes. 34 row oil cooler and that's about it for now. Probably nothing more since I plan on getting a GT-R. Going tomorrow to get it tuned in Maryland.

Comment

Working...
                            X