Which Way Up ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Way Up ?

This may be one of those stupid questions, but is there a quick, easy, fail safe way to tell which end of a skiboard is the front (tip)?

Some boards are truly center mount
    Some boards really are symmetrical
    Some graphics are so random you have no clue
    Some have writing in all directions
    Some base graphics go in both directions
    Some have company logos on both ends
    Sometimes the images online are random

Is there a way to line up the serial number to tell?

I guess if I've tried all of the above and I still can't tell the difference, maybe it doesn't matter; but it would be nice to know.
    Just these, nothing else !

I usually go by the way that Greco lines up the skiboards here on SBOL.
    For example, the 2013 Sherpa.
    If you click on the image at the top of the listing then you'll see a larger shot of the the boards lined up - left, right and base.
    For boards which are no longer available new, if you click on the Skiboard Specification Chart at the top of the main skiboards for sale page then click on a particular board, on the left, such as the Condor then you'll see the specs and pictures of all of the boards through the preceding years.
    Last edited by Gromit; 02-21-2013, 01:54 AM. Reason: Added an extra hyperlink
    Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
    Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
    Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Are there specific boards you can't figure out? If they are symmetrical, twin tips with the same tip and tail height, it doesn't matter which end is front and which is back. If not, the wider and/or higher tip is the front of the board.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
        Are there specific boards you can't figure out? If they are symmetrical, twin tips with the same tip and tail height, it doesn't matter which end is front and which is back. If not, the wider and/or higher tip is the front of the board.
        The SBOL Skiboard Specification Table also has the tip and tail heights and in addition, the width at tip, waist and tail for each model.
        Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

I just received a pair of the Slapdashes to demo. The tips and tails seem the same height, they are symmetrical and center mounted, the kids doodle graphic makes no sense to me and I can't work it out from the bases or logos. I just hoped there might be a clever way to work it out without having to go online and look at a picture.

Comment

If they are 2012 Slapdashes.
            Lay the boards on the floor side by side, a few inches appear. The red part of the graphics, near the 4x4 inserts, should form a circle across the width of both boards. The tip of the board with the yellow graphic is the rear of the right-hand board.
            Last edited by Gromit; 02-21-2013, 10:59 PM. Reason: Broken hyperlink fixed
            Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
              Lay the boards on the floor side by side, a few inches appear. The red part of the graphics, near the 4x4 inserts, should form a circle across the width of both boards. The tip of the board with the yellow graphic is the rear of the right-hand board.
              You can also figure it out by the parts coming together to form the two arrows.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                I did reference the images to try work it out, but the "link" image shows the boards facing sideways, right to left or left to right? Then the product image shows them in an up down configuration, with the tips up. The other point this brings up, by matching the two boards to complete the pattern, is that they are designed to be specifically left or right boards, if you want the graphic to make sense.

Comment

I really screwed up with my Summit Customs. They came with a bamboo/dragon/logo graphic making it clear which end was the tips , but when the edges chipped (sidewall construction), I camphered the edges, sanded off the design and painted them white. They looked great but I couldn't tell which end was which anymore!

They are very symmetrical and center mounted, but there is a tiny difference in tip/tail height. It's almost impossible to tell by eye, so you have to flip the boards over and lay them down on a flat surface to see which end is higher. I have a sticker by the inserts to point to the tips now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    .....is that they are designed to be specifically left or right boards ......
                    Strictly speaking, and particularly for release bindings, you should have left or right boards, or more accurately left and right bindings, mated to the corresponding left or right boot. When bindings are calibrated a good ski shop will test with the boots and mark them right or left. The logic is that your boots could potentially be different in outside dimensions and for your bindings to work properly they need to be adjusted to each boot's particular size.

My ski shop goes beyond just marking the bindings with a LEFT or RIGHT sticker they actually have a disclaimer on the service agreement that speaks to it. For most skiboarders with release bindings I guest we could swap the bindings around to reduced uneven wear on your boards. I do this with my Spruce 120s as I will wear down the "inside" edge faster from skating.
                    Boards:
                    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                      Strictly speaking, and particularly for release bindings, you should have left or right boards, or more accurately left and right bindings, mated to the corresponding left or right boot. When bindings are calibrated a good ski shop will test with the boots and mark them right or left. The logic is that your boots could potentially be different in outside dimensions and for your bindings to work properly they need to be adjusted to each boot's particular size.

My ski shop goes beyond just marking the bindings with a LEFT or RIGHT sticker they actually have a disclaimer on the service agreement that speaks to it. For most skiboarders with release bindings I guest we could swap the bindings around to reduced uneven wear on your boards. I do this with my Spruce 120s as I will wear down the "inside" edge faster from skating.
                      Interesting.

I can't tell any difference on my Risers but definitely can on the non releasable Line FF Pros; I use the leash to identify left and right.

Comment

Working...
                      X