So, it finally happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, it finally happened

I officially lost my Skiboard virginity Tuesday while fulfilling a personal goal to do so before I'm 31 next month. I bought into this sport 10 years ago when I picked up a practically new pair of Canon M7's and Line Fly's, bindings included with each. It's rather nostalgic looking back at the great boards available at the time, spending hours digging through opinions and reviews until I picked up what I did. I'm glad Kirk posted a history of Skiboarding for others to read, I feel I was around in its original prime and am glad to see it has roared back to life. My only regret is not making the time to get out and enjoy the sport sooner, while it was still growing, something I realized just before I turned 30.

With all my gear packed in the car and time off I headed out to the grandparents Saturday as they're only 30min from the closest albeit small White Hills resort, 1 of 2 in the province. The plan was to get in on the Eat The Hill event Sunday with local chefs cooking up gourmet ski foods at stations along the base of the slope, all for only an extra $15 to my lift pass. Due to a power outage affecting a large region and wet weather Sunday's plan was a bust. I was geared up for Monday yet with Storm Warnings that never materialized into any actual weather all schools had already cancelled bookings and the hill remained closed. Thankfully the forecast for Tuesday looked promising with 5-10cm to fall later in the day everything was a GO!

I started the day at 9:30, strapping on my Canon boards for the first time on an actual hill besides messing around with them in the backyard or local park. The first and only time I've been on skis with lessons was when I was 12, 18 years ago which is before many members here were born, LOL. I headed to the 'Meadow' or bunny slope and hopped on the rubber carpet ride just as a few of the other school students with their own gear did the same. I wasn't any bit nervous or apprehensive, more so wondering how they'd handle or if I'd put on a good show with a wipe out. Gathering my footing, ensuring I was strapped in well, two snowboarders on either side, I turned the boards downhill and went for it. INSTANT enjoyment, damn that was fun! The boards turned so easily, very stable and fast if I wanted them to be. I'm sure I was screaming in my head 'LOOK AT ME!' as I suddenly made carving down the bunny slope cool while on a bee line to the actual lift.

As I made my way in line waiting to jump into the chair I was already getting comments from someone saying "Those look wicked!".

At this point I was stoked on the ride up, eager to hit all the green runs first to get a better feel of the boards and develop a technique plus adjust my boots as needed. The opinions and recommendations here are invaluable as Dave and others have suggested, start off slow to avoid injury and work your way up to more difficult runs over time. I made my first run down the hill without incident, no trips or falls; getting a feel for the conditions with hard packed groomers on an icy base from days prior. The next trip I pushed myself a little more, feeling out how to carve better and quicker. Eventually, I met a little unexpected powder on the 3rd run telling myself as it happened 'Get back on the tails' as is preached here but it was too late and the narrow tips on the Canon M7's went under. A scorpion faceplant at its finest kicking myself in the back with my left board, damn did that hurt, LOL but what's a day out without some battle wound. I have at least a bruised rib out of it if not a small fracture but I went the rest of the day without feeling it unless twisting to my left while mounting the chair lift. Problem solved, twist right!

Since I was boarding solo I was on my own to learn. Falling I quickly mastered, keep the boards in the air or dive to the side. The only times I did wipe out, usually in style, was when I let myself do so rather than focus on keeping the tips up in or near powder, something I could often predict 1-2 seconds prior. Skiboarding has a quick learning curve for sure and the more confidence I had approaching different conditions and terrain the better I was able to follow through. I did make a wrong turn onto a Black Diamond run directly under the ski lift line with no way out so I had no choice to push through, weight back on the tails, take my time and carve between the rocks, sticks and small trees. With only one slow speed tumble at the beginning even I impressed myself.

I will say it was fun to be on the hill with students from grade 6-12. Riding up with a few asking about the boards was great; delivering a lost ski for another back to the top; waving back to others on the lift or helping out one girl that was having trouble a few times due to lack of poles on actual skis; plus it gave me obstacles to carve around.

By the end of the day I was carving Green and Blue runs at high speeds skimming the snow with my fingertips and loving it! I even hit a longer Black Diamond run without realizing it until later. The park was calling to me so tried out a basic box a few times before the hill closed. I'll definitely be spending more time having fun there. My confidence level improved a lot in just 6 hours; understanding how wide of a stance to maintain; how to attack powder and other terrain; controlling my speed and most importantly understanding my limits. It was an AWESOME day with no serious injuries aside from sore muscles the following day. I can't wait to go again.

The Canon boards performed well but I quickly realized their limitations. They're able to handle light powder when needed but really excel in open pistes. At 5'8" and 145lbs I'm considering a pair of Revolt Chicken's already or maybe Trees. The 2013 RC's are my favorite graphic this year but they may not work as well for me due to size and current riding style. I love the community and the sport, I'm glad I stuck around after all these years.

-Greg
    Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
    Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
    Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Greg,

Thanks for that fabulous recount of your day. I was laughing with you! I hope your ribs feel better very soon. Try to only inflate the right lung fully for awhile. Ha ha.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

That sounds awesome - glad to hear you could pick it up so quickly!

Comment

Yeah, it was great experience, loved every second of it, thanks guy! Just wish I had a time machine to relive those 10 years embracing winter and hitting the hill often. Despite kicking myself in my upper back where it hurt at the time, the rib is only tender in front. Deep breaths are possible, I'm on the mend. I may build a box and rail for next winter to practice on as the slope behind the house is perfect for it.
        Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

This is exactly the kind of story I like to see. It's great when someone has such an encouraging first day with the sport.

I definitely recommend the Revolts for your next purchase. Pair them with some Bomber or Receptor bindings, and you'll be blown away by the performance upgrade. At least, that was my experience when I moved up to EMP's(Revolt Trees) with Bombers from SnowJam's with X2's.

I'm with you on the RC graphics. They are one of my favorites, and the boards are a blast to ride. Having said that, I think that spending some time on Revolts before stepping up to the Condors will be beneficial to your confidence level and overall skill.
          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

That's my plan as of now, pick up a pair of Revolts before the season is over if there's time. Much like purchasing a DSLR camera followed by the LBA(Lens Buying Addiction) I'm sure I'll have a collection of boards soon enough.

The basic Groove X1 bindings I rode were certainly up to the task. After 2-3 runs they definitely needed some fine tuning due to about 5mm heel lift. With a 1.75mm one notch adjustment on each I was strapped in tight again. Unfortunately I didn't have a hex key small enough for the post bolts, neither did the rental shop, as one was slightly loose. After checking the boards just now both bindings have a lot of play. Either they were never secure to begin with, as I forgot to check, or it's a downfall of the Groove's. The main gripe is that the locking clip slides side to side before being secured and has to be centered otherwise it's difficult to flip over in place. I'll try the Line FF Pro's on my next trip.

Great Signature, btw!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Definitely go with the FF Pros. They are much better than X1's. I've had more problems with X1's than with any other binding. I think that the bails are actually too long, which leads to a very acute angle when a boot is clipped in. This is where the boot lift comes from, I think. The only way to solve it seems to be to make the binding excessively tight.
              RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Comment

Glad to hear you had such a fun first day. That scorpion does not sound like it was fun - glad you didn't get too beaten up from it. Larger boards with more surface area will definitely reduce the risk of another scorpion for sure but the nature of shorter boards is that you do need to mind the wheel in certain conditions to avoid it.

In your gear considerations don't overlook the Spruce riser and release bindings. If you are not doing park, I don't think you will notice the extra weight of the riser and release bindings - the weight is directly underfoot. Some people find the riser height to be advantageous in generating a bit of extra torque to get the boards over on edge.

Keep getting out there - we don't want to see another post in 10 years saying how much fun you had on your second time out!
                In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

LOL, no worries about any more decade breaks between strapping on my skiboards, I had too much fun the past weekend with plans to go again on the 22nd.

I was surprised how fast and stable the Canon M7's were when bombing down the slope, very maneuverable allowing quick and hard carving. They only time they faltered was under my own inexperience when hitting powder resulting in a graceful bail.

I honestly never considered the Spruce riser/bindings as I always thought they were at the high end of pricing but for $139 currently, it's a steal; I didn't realize they were so inexpensive but I do plan to get more time in on the park so we'll see. Overall I had no issues with the non-release type this time out, no broken legs, twisted knees or torn ACL's, all of which was my biggest fear of skiing in general. I swapped out the Groove X1's with the Line FF Pro's a few hours ago on the Canon's so I'm eager to test them out now.

Comment

Working...
                  X