Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got my first skiboard

hello everyone,

I just received my first skiboard - got a spruce 120 STS with pro sport risers. I think it's actually the first one made in the series (according ski technician who saw the serial)! I've ski'd about once a year for about 12 years. I love to ski, but I have always found it slightly cumbersome and not enough like skating (I have played hockey since I was a kid). Hoping that skiboarding is made for me.

going to Devil's Head, Wisconsin this Friday, and will be visiting my sister in Vermont in two weeks - and going to Stowe.

I'm really looking forward to trying these out. it would be great to have a new hobby

Welcome to the forum and skiboarding. You will have a great time on the 120s.

Be sure to keep us updated on your experiences. Have fun!
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Nice choice. Welcome to a whole new world of snow sports stoke.

And .... thanks for checking in here on the forum. I think you'll find this community fantastic.

Also since you are a hockey dude, I bet it's only a a matter of time before you are tempted to get another pair of boards to keep your 120s company. I see KTPS or Revolts in your future along with your Spruce boards.
      Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
      Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
      Full Tilt Boots
      Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Welcome to the sport. The 120s are a great choice and are my go to board. The 120s are an excellent all around board and a good choice to transition from skis. If you are a taller person you will find that you can throw them around almost like hockey skates. Losing the poles and swing weight of skis is very liberating.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I have that same set-up that I got at the beginning of the season. I spent last year on Head 94s, a few times out at the start of this year on Summit 110s and now I only ride the 120s - have been out on them 19 times so far so they are getting some miles on them. Very sweet board.

I did not take to the 120s right away. They seemed so much longer than the 110s, which to me felt very natural. It took me about 3 times out on the 120s before it fully clicked but now I love them and they have transformed my riding. So, if you don't happen to "get" them right away - don't be discouraged. Not trying to say you won't be at home straight away...

Enjoy the 120s and let us know how you like them. Once you get some time on them, post a review in the Review section on this site.
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

used the Spruce 120s in Wisconsin last weekend and had a great time. They bested skis in so many areas for me. things I really appreciated:

-skating from the bottom of the hill to another lift. no need for poles
            -skiing downhill faster than I could on skis, while still going back and forth very quickly
            -much greater sense of control and coordination

Heading out to VT today to visit my sister at her school. Planning a day trip to Stowe on Saturday. Can't wait .

consider me converted

ps: what should my next purchase be to complement the 120s? I dig that you can swap out the boards very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by greensolo View Post
              ps: what should my next purchase be to complement the 120s? I dig that you can swap out the boards very easily.
              That depends. Do you want something similar or something that is way different? The Spruce rockered 125s are similar (but better IMO). The Rockered Condors would be a totally different ride. You could even go with a pair of true shorties and get Tanshos. They really feel like wearing hockey skates.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Glad you like the 120s and got on with them straight away. I am a 120 evangelist - love those boards. Honestly, you probably don't need any other boards. If you want to get other boards with different ride characteristics there are all sorts of choices:

--KTPs because they are short, stiff, aggressive and apparently can carve trenches

--Revolts because they are short, pretty tight sidecut and generally liked as all around boards

--Rockered Condors because they are a very strange animal and have a way different ride than the 120s

--Sherpas because they are the biggest, baddest boards out there and like an assertive pilot

I have so much fun on my 120s and feel so comfortable on them I personally am having a hard time justifying getting anything else.

Enjoy your trip and keep updates coming about your experiences.
                Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                  Glad you like the 120s and got on with them straight away. I am a 120 evangelist - love those boards. Honestly, you probably don't need any other boards. If you want to get other boards with different ride characteristics there are all sorts of choices:

--KTPs because they are short, stiff, aggressive and apparently can carve trenches

--Revolts because they are short, pretty tight sidecut and generally liked as all around boards

--Rockered Condors because they are a very strange animal and have a way different ride than the 120s

--Sherpas because they are the biggest, baddest boards out there and like an assertive pilot

I have so much fun on my 120s and feel so comfortable on them I personally am having a hard time justifying getting anything else.

Enjoy your trip and keep updates coming about your experiences.

thanks for the replies.

I skiboarded at Stowe yesterday and had a blast! I had more success at the beginning of the day (when it was less icy and I was less tired). By the end of the day, the runs had become icier, and with tired legs it was harder to get up on the proper edge, so I ended up sliding around a bit. Wondering if thinner Skiboards would allow for that easier.

I didn't really get a chance to try powder, but I had a blast when things were more groomed at the start of the day. I love how maneuverable the skiboards are.

I'm extremely happy I own these spruces for all purpose skiboarding, and I imagine they are going to be great in powder. So I guess the 'complement' board I'm looking for would be one that is even more maneuverable (for the fun and novelty), yet able to handle both groomed and icy conditions (and ignoring prowess on powder) . Any tips?

Comment

I skiboarded at Stowe yesterday and had a blast! I had more success at the beginning of the day (when it was less icy and I was less tired). By the end of the day, the runs had become icier, and with tired legs it was harder to get up on the proper edge, so I ended up sliding around a bit. Wondering if thinner Skiboards would allow for that easier.
                    I ride on hard and icy surfaces a lot on the 120s. Sharp edges are critical to get as much edge bite into the surface as the boards will allow. When it is really hard and icy I find easing up on the edge angles and making much more deliberate and smooth movements to work - more of sliding or pivoting turns if the grip just isn't there. I also find myself riding faster on hard and icy conditions now that I am confident on my boards. My natural inclination in the past was to try and slow down and go slower than i normally would on icy surfaces. The trouble with this approach, at least for me, is that I was constantly trying to scrub speed when doing so is very difficult and it created many more opportunities to lose an edge then and slide out. I "saved" a trip to Elk Mountain in Northeastern Pennsyvlania a few weeks ago by just accepting I had to ride fast in hard and icy conditions. Much straighter lines and skinny S turns with shallow edge angles was the best approach for the day. I waited until I had better snow conditions on runs to dump speed if I felt I had to. It took me about an hour-and-a-half to convince myself to do this - otherwise it was a 2:40 ride to/from the resort for very little riding on the mountain.

I'm extremely happy I own these spruces for all purpose skiboarding, and I imagine they are going to be great in powder. So I guess the 'complement' board I'm looking for would be one that is even more maneuverable (for the fun and novelty), yet able to handle both groomed and icy conditions (and ignoring prowess on powder) . Any tips?

--Rockered Condors because they are a very strange animal and have a way different ride than the 120s. I will say that from the reviews I have read many people, but not all, don't find the RC's to be best suited to hard and icy surfaces. A few do and have found that the art of "slarving" serves them very well.

Ultimately, it comes down to understanding what kind of ride characteristics you are looking for and trying different boards. The skiboardsonline demo program is a good deal for getting to try boards for a week for a reasonable cost. If you put "demo" at the site homepage search window you will find information on this program.
                    Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Working...
                    X