Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid-May Trip to Denver, CO - Where to Ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-May Trip to Denver, CO - Where to Ride?

One of the guys I ride with asked me this weekend what resorts near Denver might be still open in mid-May when he is there on business. He is a good skier but his experience is resort skiing only. I immediately said A-Basin. Any other places within driving distance to Denver that would still be open at that time? Any thoughts on the type of terrain that is typically open, conditions to expect, etc?

Thanks
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

I would have to think A-Basin is your best, if not the only option. I know that Vail and Beaver Creek will close in early April regardless of snow conditions (park service requirements).

We are headed out for two weeks in March and I am nervous about the conditions. Looks like it's been cold this year but not much natural snow. Would love to hear some feedback from locals as to their feel for the spring condition forecast around Denver.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      I would have to think A-Basin is your best, if not the only option. I know that Vail and Beaver Creek will close in early April regardless of snow conditions (park service requirements).

We are headed out for two weeks in March and I am nervous about the conditions. Looks like it's been cold this year but not much natural snow. Would love to hear some feedback from locals as to their feel for the spring condition forecast around Denver.
      If you haven't committed to resorts around Denver, you could try Wolf Creek and Monarch Mountain. Wolf has plenty of snow. I can get three free days at Monarch this season, so I'm considering a possible March trip myself.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
        If you haven't committed to resorts around Denver, you could try Wolf Creek and Monarch Mountain. Wolf has plenty of snow. I can get three free days at Monarch this season, so I'm considering a possible March trip myself.
        I am locked in. I have a client in Avon, CO and we scheduled a business trip adjacent to the kids' spring break to defray the cost of travel. We do a little business and then our families ski/ride together. We skied Beaver Creek in mid April last year in 60 deg weather and the conditions were great. Not perfect by any means but the groomers that work Beaver Creek are snow artists that can make beautiful corduroy out of mashed potatoes.

To Bluewing's orginal question I am still assuming A-Basin is the closest thing to a sure thing in May unless someone local chimes in.
        Boards:
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

The only resort in all of Colorado that is open in mid-May is Arapahoe Basin, and that's if the snow holds up. Last season Spring Steez was held over Cinco De Mayo weekend and that was the last weekend that A-Basin was open. If the winter keep up at the poor rate it has been going this year there will be nothing to ride but backcountry in the middle of May.
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post
            The only resort in all of Colorado that is open in mid-May is Arapahoe Basin, and that's if the snow holds up. Last season Spring Steez was held over Cinco De Mayo weekend and that was the last weekend that A-Basin was open. If the winter keep up at the poor rate it has been going this year there will be nothing to ride but backcountry in the middle of May.

Dave -- how would you rate this year vs. last year in your section of CO?? We rode Vail and Beaver Creek the first week of April last year and the locals were telling me that it was the worse season they could recall. While we were there anything that wasn't high elevation, facing north, with snowmaking was closed. What was open looked more like the East Coast than the Rockies. We are coming out in again in late March and I was hoping it might be a little better. It looks like it has been cold. Is it just a lack of natural snowfall?
            Boards:
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Summit County has no snow. A-Basin wont see mid May.

bnuf

Comment

Originally posted by enouf24 View Post
                Summit County has no snow. A-Basin wont see mid May.

bnuf
                You guys should be happy with Snowbowl this weekend. They have had a reported 43 new inches of snow there since Friday evening.
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
                X