Skiboarding Solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post

So respected that you know her real name (that she's told a bunch of times) and not just her forum name? Haha Just saying...
    good grief... LOL
    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
      Shelley. Her given name is Shelley.
      Guess what, Shelley is just my nickname, Marilyn is my given name! LOL

Anyways, back to riding solo or not, ok...
      I really think everyone should ride with someone, sure you can go down different paths here and there but always meet back up at the lifts or the top!
      C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

That whole Shelley thing never did ring true to me. I'm glad you finally came clean.
        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

I believe the entire skiboarding community owes Dave Bloom a huge thank you for finding and in the end causing this admission to take place. I'm sure it is a huge weight off your shoulders, Shelley. I mean Marilyn, umm, Pinkkid.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

I like going alone sometimes, especially during night ski hours at a resort. The lift lines are short, slopes are clear and you can ride the lift up in solitude and just relax and look around. In terms of safety, I don't find it an issue at a resort. At worst, if you really mess up, you would need to be set to have an emergency contact called. Road ID is a solid product with good support that a lot of outdoors sports enthusiasts use. I have one that I got for mountain and road bike solo training, where I would be out pushing myself for hours all alone, far out on rural roads or trails. I take it everywhere now, even though I forget to wear it sometimes

Backcountry is another story. I enjoy solitude in that situation at times as well (often times I look forward to being alone in the outdoors the most out of the whole trip, other times I get lonely!). However, I always make sure one, usually two people know where I am going and my route, pack a lot more backup gear (more first aid, headlamp and extra batteries, backup light, an extra layer, fire starter, aquamira backcountry filter, sometimes the machete goes in the pack too) and fight my urges to push it or get "one last run in" or go "just a bit further" when I am tired. I used to routinely go out by myself on my mountain bike without thinking twice, but as I got older and started to venture further into the wilderness, I quickly started to realize that things can go very wrong, very fast. I believe it was '08 that some climbers got stuck in a storm on Mt Washington, in the middle of June, and didn't make it off the mountain. If you are going in avalanche areas (same goes for flash flood areas) alone, you really better know what you are doing. I think it's often the people who so routinely go out solo into harsh/dangerous areas and/or take high risks, are the ones who are at the highest risk of becoming complacent and inattentive, getting sloppy and then quickly getting into a bad situation.

Comment

As much as I wanted to ride with a friend, I had to go solo yesterday. I waited out the conditions for 4 days, making it hard to get someone to give up that much of their time. I wasn't concerned with safety as the hill is small and I'd be found rather quick. There were several times I'd stop just to taken in the view or people watch.

Mon-Wed the hill is open to school bookings. The first hour I pretty much had the hill to myself but around 1030-11 the grade 6-12 students were out in full force. It made for a great day, having others to chat with, help out when someone fell, delivering a lost ski to the top, wave back to people on the lift, carve around. By 2:30 they were piling back on the bus, leaving myself and about 2 dozen others to the hill.
              Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
              Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
              Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

Working...
              X