More Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Wax

Sorry to bring this up again, I can't find the Wax thread from a few week ago.

Anyway. How much wax should you scrape off after you iron it on? I just got a new scraper, which is very sharp, and really scrapes the wax off well. Is the idea to keep scraping until no more comes off, or to just take the "bumps" off and smooth it out. I know the idea of waxing is to fill up all those micro cracks in the bases, but are you also meant to leave a layer on there?
    Just these, nothing else !

Scrape and brush until no more wax is coming off. The wax absorbs into the p-tex so that is what you want left behind. You also want to re-expose the structure of the base since it helps provide directional stability - another reason to scrape and brush really well.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

You should feel the honey comb texture when done vs. a smooth layer of wax covering it. Many ways to get there, for me the easiest is scrape and then buff with green scotch brite.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Comment

A rotary snowboard brush used with a drill is a must have tool if doing your own waxing as is a scraper sharpener IMO.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

There are so many opinions on how to get the best wax job. Everyone who waxes (including me) has one. Waxing is important in my opinion but I suggest not getting too wrapped around the axle over it. Get it on, get it off and enjoy. I know a few guys who went over the deep end with waxing doing things like using base layers followed by temperature specific waxes and employing all manner of techniques to get the "perfect" wax job. They end up investing so much time and effort it becomes a downward spiral of dissatisfaction and they ended up walking away from waxing altogether. Except of course for Spring skiing. Absolutely everyone seems to agree that skiing in Spring requires waxing and requires special waxes formulated for the environment.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

I bought one of the plastic scrapes but got tired of the amount of scraping it seems to take to get the wax off; especially when you are doing an entire families skis and boards. Although all the advice says not to use a metal scraper, I got one anyway. We use metal scrapers on P-Tex repairs, so they can't be that bad, I hope? Anyway, now it takes just a few passes to get the wax off instead of dozens.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I'm lazy and only scrape until it's pretty smooth and I can sort of feel the grooves. It's not the prettiest wax job, but the boards go fast and it works for me.
              Always on the brink of success or insanity!

Comment

I tend to go all out, after investing in the iron and quality waxes. I do find a notable difference compared to days I don't wax for (almost never).

I scrape, cork, and brush with a brass brush with nylon border. Probably overboard, but I find the process pretty relaxing.

I use SWIX CH7 and/or CH8 waxes. I bought them online on a whim and they work perfectly for my area.
                Revel8 2011 KTP 101cm Skiboards
                Zero Pro Silver Non-Release Bindings
                ATOMIC B50 Boots

Comment

Working...
                X