Where Would You Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LugeDude View Post
    I don't agree! The oil is one of this Alberta Largest economy, and it supplies thousands of jobs, as well as supplies the U.S with oil. The U.S has just as large oil operations in the north. There have been major improvements in the last 5 years of cleanliness of the productions, and the transportation of oil in and around Canada. Some people say this should stop, but that means no cars, housing, plastics, you name it, everything is related to oil, so thank the oil patch.

ya rock on! who cares if people are dieing!
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post

We should get this tread back on track and help Bad Wolf out by responding to his original question.
      No, this is great, at least I can cross Calgary off my list!
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
        There has always been a high price to pay for the comforts of modern living. Coal, steel, shipping, fishing, railroads, dams, farming, industry, mining, forestry, war....................countless lives paid.

Comment

Bad Wolf,

You said you liked the looks of SLC. I can't imagine a better place to be for shredding. Just think about all that Wasatch powder. I sure do. It's my hope to someday live in either Utah or Colorado.
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
            There has always been a high price to pay for the comforts of modern living. Coal, steel, shipping, fishing, railroads, dams, farming, industry, mining, forestry, war....................countless lives paid.
            True, but it doesn't have to be that way.
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Lets keep this heated conversation going. The forum needs some substance beyond the same two recycled threads. I've been dying for some meaningful discussions.
              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                Bad Wolf,

You said you liked the looks of SLC. I can't imagine a better place to be for shredding. Just think about all that Wasatch powder. I sure do. It's my hope to someday live in either Utah or Colorado.
                There was something about the area we just didn't like. Not sure what. The Cottonwood Canyon resorts really are just 30 minutes from the city center, but it's a pain having to park and then catch the snow bus up. Alta and Snowbird are almost too big, and commercial. We loved Brighton. And none of them are exactly cheap.

Park City is nice but gets far less snow and The Canyons and Deer Valley are very pricey. I could imagine having a condo in Park City, but I don't think we could live there year round.

Comment

That's is happening, but you should see the conditions people On the reserves are living in. If they live in crap living conditions, then there is no doubt there water and food is going to be contaminated. The only major problems happening in Canada is the problems on the reserves, debt, over spending with politicians, and Quebec wanting to separate.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    That's not modern living, check your history. That's just the human condition.

Go Nexus
                    Crossbow (go to dream board)
                    Most everything else over time.
                    Go Android

Comment

Wild card location to live: Missoula, Montana home to the University of Montana. I call it the "Ithaca of the West" because the vibe in this liberal college town reminds me of the vibe in Ithaca, NY home to Cornell University and Ithaca College. Missoula is supposed to be one of the most liberal towns in Montana, which overall seems like a conservative place. My niece and her husband lived there 2 years while both were in grad school. Great area for outdoor living - skiing, riding, hiking, hunting, fantastic fly fishing, rafting. World-class destinations not far away such as Glacier National Park and Yellowstone. Not much on big city amenities or culture - except what the university brings in - but a few hours in the car heading west and you could get a day or a weekend of bigger city life in.

Some old school type resorts close, including the Montana Snowbowl. I have only seen it in the summer, but that place looks like a beast. If you could make that your home mountain and ride it well you could likely ride just about anywhere.
                      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by LugeDude View Post
                        That's is happening, but you should see the conditions people On the reserves are living in. If they live in crap living conditions, then there is no doubt there water and food is going to be contaminated. The only major problems happening in Canada is the problems on the reserves, debt, over spending with politicians, and Quebec wanting to separate.
                        The water shed is contaminated because of the pools left behind by the tar sands extraction. It would be impossible for small rural communities to contaminate the second biggest water shed in the world by themselves with chemicals and heavy metals that no normal person would ever have at their disposal.

Those conditions exist because of colonialism, racism, and the disregard human dignity the rest of Canada has towards First Nations.

Canada has many more problems, environmental degradation, a growing gap between rich and poor, austerity, Stephen Harper, privatization, conflicts of interest in healthcare and by politicians, energy, rise of Christian fundamentalist in political positions, a growing incarceration rate not because of more crime but because of constant stiffer laws for small crimes no big ones, bank bailouts, as far and Quebec wanting to separate, I don't see how people looking for autonomy and self-governance being a "problem".
                        Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

The water shed is contaminated because of the pools left behind by the tar sands extraction. It would be impossible for small rural communities to contaminate the second biggest water shed in the world by themselves with chemicals and heavy metals that no normal person would ever have at their disposal.

Those conditions exist because of colonialism, racism, and the disregard human dignity the rest of Canada has towards First Nations.

Canada has many more problems, environmental degradation, a growing gap between rich and poor, austerity, Stephen Harper, privatization, conflicts of interest in healthcare and by politicians, energy, rise of Christian fundamentalist in political positions, a growing incarceration rate not because of more crime but because of constant stiffer laws for small crimes no big ones, bank bailouts, as far and Quebec wanting to separate, I don't see how people looking for autonomy and self-governance being a "problem".
                          I unfortunately don't know a lot about Canadian history and current problems, but by speculation it seems as they things are headed towards the problems that the US is plagued by, which has sent the US in a terrible downward spiral over the past one hundred years.
                          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                            That's not modern living, check your history. That's just the human condition.

Go Nexus
                            I'm confused. Which facts do I need to check here?

Coal, steel, shipping, fishing, railroads, dams, farming, industry, mining, forestry, war are not part of modern living?

No lives have been lost in coal, steel, shipping, fishing, railroads, dams, farming, industry, mining, forestry, war?

History and the human condition are mutually exclusive?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                              Wild card location to live: Missoula, Montana home to the University of Montana. .
                              Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X