Lupe's Rainbow, Sunrise AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lupe's Rainbow, Sunrise AZ

I've come a long way in just a few weeks, since I switched from the 110s to the 87s. At the beginning of the season, you couldn't have pushed me down this slope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lupe's Rainbow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	248225

Sometimes shorter is better.
    Just these, nothing else !

Bad Wolf,

Ha ha. Love it. You'll get that run before the season is over.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Most of us here started on 99s or less. Huge fun. Sometimes I wonder at the wisdom of carrying the overhead of bigger boards all the time for the sake of the once in a blue moon powder day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        ....for the sake of the once in a blue moon powder day.
        I think this is God's way of saying you need to move. Powder free places are to visited - in the off season.
        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
          I think this is God's way of saying you need to move. Powder free places are to visited - in the off season.
          Seriously man, I can go for several years at a stretch in Europe without seeing powder. Now Cali on the other hand . . . . .
          Could be tempted to move there if they had proper healthcare.

Go Nexus
          Go Android

Comment

Valmorel,

So, your choices really boil down to proper health care or powder. I would like to forward the idea of obtaining outstanding health insurance!

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
              Valmorel,

So, your choices really boil down to proper health care or powder. I would like to forward the idea of obtaining outstanding health insurance!
              At sixty four years of age, chronic heart problems, and two prostate ops on, plus arthritis, imagine how that might play out

Go Android

Comment

If you're talking Cali-fornia, then they are stacked with pow, beautiful beaches, beautiful women, and if you're worried about getting old they have plenty of plastic surgery doctors for that haha.
                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                  I've come a long way in just a few weeks, since I switched from the 110s to the 87s. At the beginning of the season, you couldn't have pushed me down this slope.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2820[/ATTACH]

Assuming you have been hitting Lupe's Rainbow on the Jades - if so, well done. That looks like a steep pitch. I started on 94s and was able to go on steep terrain with confidence last year about mid-way though the season. Short boards are easier to control, quicker to react and I think easier to make a recovery on when you do make a mistake. For me it was important to spend time on the steep terrain so I could mentally adjust to being able to ride it. I think a lot of our sport is mental - having the confidence in one's own mind that you can do something. If the confidence isn't there and doubt creeps in, that is when people start making mistakes that usually compounded in a negative feedback loop. The other part of riding steep terrain is good mechanics and body positioning. As you build up your miles on steep terrain and focus on good mechanics and body positioning that gets burned into muscle memory so it becomes virtually automatic.

Keep rocking those Jades and enjoying the entire mountain. You will likely find that if you then move up to longer boards a lot of what you have been doing will transfer directly. What doesn't transfer directly is at least a base to build the new techniques or nuances on top of.
                  In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                  Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                    At sixty four years of age, chronic heart problems, and two prostate ops on, plus arthritis, imagine how that might play out

You need to move to Vancouver Canada!
                    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                      You need to move to Vancouver Canada!
                      Yes! Even my qualifications work in Canada

Go Nexus
                      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2820[/ATTACH]

I remember that run. She's a scary one!
                        Boards/Bindings:
                        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                          Assuming you have been hitting Lupe's Rainbow on the Jades - if so, well done. That looks like a steep pitch. I started on 94s and was able to go on steep terrain with confidence last year about mid-way though the season. Short boards are easier to control, quicker to react and I think easier to make a recovery on when you do make a mistake. For me it was important to spend time on the steep terrain so I could mentally adjust to being able to ride it. I think a lot of our sport is mental - having the confidence in one's own mind that you can do something. If the confidence isn't there and doubt creeps in, that is when people start making mistakes that usually compounded in a negative feedback loop. The other part of riding steep terrain is good mechanics and body positioning. As you build up your miles on steep terrain and focus on good mechanics and body positioning that gets burned into muscle memory so it becomes virtually automatic.
                          I started off on the Jades and attempted three black runs I've never had to confidence to try before. Lupe's being the steepest. They did really well and the ability to turn quickly at will kept me upright. The only issue was a little bit of fore/aft instability going over the chop. I like the control but did wish they were a little faster in a few places. After lunch I swapped out for the Line MNP 98s I won on eBay, and did the same circuit all over again.

In comparison the MNPs were a little faster and smoother through the chop, but a little slower to initiate the turn. My one fall came getting stuck acrorss the fall line trying to turn, the Jades would have made it. They do get on edge quicker being narrower than the Jades but not as forgiving when you need to force a change of direction. I liked them both and couldn't decide which I preferred.

I just won a pair of Bullets on eBay, maybe they will be the perfect combination of the two boards at 94cm.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post

Keep rocking those Jades and enjoying the entire mountain. You will likely find that if you then move up to longer boards a lot of what you have been doing will transfer directly. What doesn't transfer directly is at least a base to build the new techniques or nuances on top of.
                            I'm not sure how I feel about this. I came to skiboards because they are fun and easy to use. At fist I made the mistake of going with the Custom 110s; for me the length and width of these made them still very technical to ride, and instead of having fun I was fighting the skis and the mountain and searching for internet videos to help me out.

The second I put the Jades on that all went away. No more technical thoughts, just a very natural feeling of sliding down the hill. I'm not saying I suddenly have great technique, but I am able to take on the whole mountain with confidence. Getting the length of the boards down has opened up a whole new world for me.

I'm not sure if I want, or need, to move back up in length. I don't have the desire to go faster, but I do want to to get more confident on the bumps, trees, steeps and chop. I sometimes wonder why so many skiboarders discover the joys of shorter boards and then go longer and longer until they are basically skiing again? I don't mean this in a bad way, each to their own. Perhaps the challenge comes from learning to keep the same skill sets intact as the boards get longer? I think I might be happy where I am, and just bring out the 110s as flotation devices on the rare powder days we do get.

Comment

Do not put any pressure on yourself to ride longer skiboards. Many of us with longboards still keep shorter skiboards in our quivers. I still have 90 Line Five-Os, 101 KTPs and 105 EMPs. You have just joined this community at a time that many of us are experiementing with longboards so they can dominate the discussion topics. That is not to say we do not enjoy the shorter skiboards.

I predict that once you feel you have mastered the 87s you will be tempted to also experiment with another length. Do not force the journey, let it happen on its own.
                              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
                              X