http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...-Skiboard.html

wow.

Comment

Agreed. Wow.

Comment

Too bad so many are so poorly informed.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I don't know. Seems like balanced approach - they heap an equal measure of sarcasm and derision on each of these. Very well researched - they went to wikipedia. And a big investment of time - it took 2 of them to write it.
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Anyone follow the link? Brings you to that "other" website:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
            33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Definitely no bias whatsoever.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Those guys are complete D-Bags. Two seasons ago they filmed me throwing down on all of Breck's jumps - rodeo 720, 720 flat spin, misty 540, and a bunch of other tricks. It was the day they were filming for a Breck feature. And, it's not like I was in the mix of other riders. It was literally me and one other person that they took four laps through the park with. Long story short, they only used one shot of me on a rail in the piece that aired on Outdoor Television. The cameraman was the filmer for X-Games halfpipe and knew exactly what I was riding on. He warned me that the company is biased and he was just freelancing. Warning me also the chance that none of the footy would get used because of "image" purposes even though the shots came out great. That company sucks. Typical MTV-like media biasm.
                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

TWO names on the byline? Wow, can't imagine how many reporters (and I use that term VERY loosely) it might have taken to actually have found the latest equipment and tested the boards before taking such a casually dismissive tone...How many writers would it have taken if they had actually used multiple reliable and current sources as any 7th grade report requires? What if they had conducted an interview? I can't imagine how Kirk managed to compose such a detailed first-hand account of skiboarding history here on the forum all by himself when TWO bozos PAID and published by a supposedly reputable magazine could only manage this sorry symbol of what journalism has become...looking stuff up on the internet and then slapping on some unfounded personal opinion. Grrrrrrr!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
                  '07 "soft" ALPs
                  Eyeball DLPs
                  125 LEs
                  Ospreys mounted bindings
                  Crossbows
                  Spruce riser release bindings
                  Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

Comment

"RELATION TO SKIING/SNOWBOARDING: Annoying little brother"

I laughed until I cried. Absolutely loved it. Do you actually think reporting like this somehow holds sway? Check out what the snowsliding industry was saying about snowboards in the early 80's. Gee, that worked. You guys should see the number of people on short skis this year. Most with poles. Last week I was openly spoke to about my Sherpas at least 3 or 4 times each day. I must have said "I got them at Skiboards Online. Just Google SBOL" 10 times. I said it last year - they are coming. I'll also repeat another thing I said - I just hope we don't screw it up. I also made a point each time of stating the quality of the products and the "Japanese like customer service." Of course, what I really meant was good, old fashioned, American type customer service. A lot of us remember what that is. We better. We are the ones who need to teach it.
                    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                      You guys should see the number of people on short skis this year.
                      I do think popularity is slowly growing. I've seen at least one person on shorties each time I've been out this season. The other day there were two people on them. I used to maybe see two people all season if at all.
                      Boards/Bindings:
                      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post
                        Those guys are complete D-Bags. Two seasons ago they filmed me throwing down on all of Breck's jumps - rodeo 720, 720 flat spin, misty 540, and a bunch of other tricks. It was the day they were filming for a Breck feature. And, it's not like I was in the mix of other riders. It was literally me and one other person that they took four laps through the park with. Long story short, they only used one shot of me on a rail in the piece that aired on Outdoor Television. The cameraman was the filmer for X-Games halfpipe and knew exactly what I was riding on. He warned me that the company is biased and he was just freelancing. Warning me also the chance that none of the footy would get used because of "image" purposes even though the shots came out great. That company sucks. Typical MTV-like media biasm.
                        This I agree is repulsive. Not surprising mind you. Which is exactly why it's repulsive.

Not to worry. I say 3-4 more years. Sounds like a long time? It's not. While I don't want to beat a dead horse, anybody who thinks snowboarding somehow showed up and immediately took over doesn't know their history. Also, anyone who thinks skiboarding somehow is the poster child for snowsliding reporting derision needs to once again visit a history book.

When skiboards hit for real, it's going to hit across the mountain. That is why the direction things are going is so great. The sub-100cm skiboards should always be part of skiboarding, the middle ground is where many a skier will find magic and the pow freaks will gravitate towards the larger/fatter versions. While I'm not too sure where the whole snowboard boot/binding thing will go, both release and non-release bindings should also remain eternal options. Skiboards offer high-capability options for absolutely everyone. Now, there is a reality - skiboards are never going to be the chosen device for things like 45 foot jumps. It can be done of course but skiboards are not and never will be the preferred devices for that sort of behavior. Same goes for taking down an AK mountain face. Skiboards just are not the smart choice. But, when you ask which devices are best for 99% of what 99% of people do - then we shine. Everyone from the young kids to grandma and grandpa can comfortably find a skiboard that expresses who they are.
                        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                          I do think popularity is slowly growing. I've seen at least one person on shorties each time I've been out this season. The other day there were two people on them. I used to maybe see two people all season if at all.
                          I have also seen two or more guys on shorties every time I have been out this season. I see a lot of guys on old Line boards that are surprised to see how far the sport has come when they look at my Spruce 120s. I point plenty of those guys to SBOL to upgrade their gear. They are shocked to see that there are boards that can handle powder and other conditions.

As for this article, it looks like it is just website filler and was written by a couple of interns. Outside Mag isn't going to bite the hands that feed them (big ski and snowboard companies) so they are going to poke fun at those that don't feed them (aka us). I am actually okay with it. I like being part of our misfit band and the best kept secret on the mountain. I am happy to share our bliss with the anyone who asks but also happy to just enjoy myself when surrounded by haters. (One of the benefits of being a big guy is people just let you do your own thing!!)
                          Boards:
                          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                            Skiboards just are not the smart choice. But, when you ask which devices are best for 99% of what 99% of people do - then we shine.
                            This is dead on. The other day I was riding a lift with some skiiers who were asking about them, and they asked what conditions they're good for. My answer was "everything we have even seen in Pennsylvania". They chuckled, but the reality is that for most casual skiiers who aren't going to larger aggressive mountains, and even those who go to these mountains but don't seek out the most difficult trails and parks, skiboards are the tool more suitable for the job.

Comment

Despite articles ilke this, and all the derisive posts about Gapers and GayBlades, I have never had anything but interest and polite curiosity at the resort. Some folks ask skeptical questions, like "can you ride in powder" but most just ask if they are as much fun as they look. It does help that modern skiboards don't look like mini skis or toys anymore.

I think all the negativity is just media and forum drive, but it's not there in reality, apart from the occasional "Epic" jerk. I keep the SBOL cards in my ski jacket and give them out to anyone who wants to know more. Just like Metallica, I like the underground feel of the sport and want skiboards to be popular, just not so much that it's not special anymore. It's cool to be the unknown quantity sometimes.
                              Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
                              X