Design The Perfect Custom Skiboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design The Perfect Custom Skiboard

Apologies if this has been done before, it didn't come up on a search.

If you could design your own custom skiboards, what would they be like and what would you use them for. What performance characteristics would you need and why?

Length, width, flex, camber, rocker, construction, symmetry, tips, side cut, bases, radius, design, graphics, bindings, inserts, materials?

Perhaps an all mountain board, or a specialty design to compliment your quiver. Cost is no concern. Some of the RV8 riders have had the honor of designing their own boards, what would you do given the opportunity?
    Just these, nothing else !

Here's my perfect custom build.

I want a board that is quick to turn and get on edge. I like a soft feel to the ride but still need energy out of turns and decent grip on the hard pack. I want it to be able to blast through chopped up conditions on the moguls and carve with stability at speed on the groomers. Needs to be light, durable and skate well enough not to need poles. Not going through the park or out of bounds, but do need to handle boot high powder. Has to be low maintenance.

The perfect length for me is 95cm for stability, speed and agility. I want to edge and turn quickly so 12.5/10/12.5, not too wide. Has to be capped construction to be low maintenance. Twin tip. I need a medium to soft flex with camber underfoot. I don't need a full rocker, but perhaps a little early rise to soften the ride and give a little float. I want 4x4 inserts with the set back option and would use a quality non release binding with leashes. I want to keep the set up light and don't need the riser set up with the narrower profile board. Plain white graphic with just a simple identifier logo. And, black sintered bases, the color of PTex, to hide my repairs.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I too like dreaming and experimenting so this is what I spec'd and had built this last summer: (actual dimensions in red)

Basically a 2 cm wider Spruce 120.

Certainly not "Perfect" but it worked out very well. It was one of those once in a life time projects to check off on your bucket list.
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Overall Length 100cm
        Running Length 80cm
        Nose Length 100mm
        Tail Length 100mm
        Nose Width 135mm
        Tail Width 135mm
        Waist Width 111.792mm
        Sidecut Radius 6.9m
        Nose Height 3cm
        Tail Height 3cm
        Camber 0 (flat or no camber)
        Camber Setback 0

Serrated Rails
        Serration Nodes 10
        Serration depth 1.5mm

Medium STIFF flex, ever so slightly softer on one half.

Lots of extra inserts

sidewall

Click image for larger version

Name:	boards.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	244720
        Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Running length: 101cm base length, 99cm tip to tip molded length - classic skiboard length

Width profile: 15.5/12.5/15.5cm - push the classic size for as much float as possible

Stiffness: Extra stiff for precise power transfer and durability- dual carbon fiber beams + dual layers of biaxial fiberglass + abs sidewall

Might look something like...
          http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl8KTP13.html

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
            I too like dreaming and experimenting so this is what I spec'd and had built this last summer: (actual dimensions in red)

Basically a 2 cm wider Spruce 120.

Certainly not "Perfect" but it worked out very well. It was one of those once in a life time projects to check off on your bucket list.
            Slow - very cool project. I saw this board in your signature line and seem to recall a few tangential references to it, but I don't recall seeing a thread where you give the details on the project and a review of the how the board rides. Sounds like you are pleased with the outcome. Any chance you can post up a thread with the details on this? I like the sound of this - a wider version of the 120s. How was Coda to work with on this?

It would be cool to find a way to have other people be able to get "proven" custom designs built - like this board you designed and the DS110 valmorel designed (I hope that design isn't dead even though Brazen is out of business).
            In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I'll be riding Slow's custom boards this weekend. I can't wait to try them out.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                .......... Any chance you can post up a thread with the details on this? I like the sound of this - a wider version of the 120s........
                I posted my first impressions in the reviews section.
                sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
                X