2 Sherpa setups - cursory review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Sherpa setups - cursory review

Today I had the chance to compare/contrast my backcountry Sherpa setup with my regular arrangement. The physical difference is the backcountry setup has Marker Baron's directly mounted, dead center. Marker did the install so it was done right. The only other difference is the manner in which I wax them. On the standard setup I wax, scrape, brush and scrubby pad. On the backcountry setup I do not scrape. I wax, brush and pad. The conditions I was in today was boot high powder. Today's pow was more firm than yesterday but powder nonetheless.

The Marker bindings are significantly lighter than the Rosignol/Spruce riser setup. I found no performance differences in the conditions I had, today. I suspect the Spruce setup would excel on the groom because of the riser. But, the Markers did great. No issues. They held my boots on the boards. I did "feel" more with the direct mount but did not find it to be either a good or bad thing. Just different.

The wax job on the other hand was a surprise. The backcountry wax job produced a faster board. There was no doubt about it. Same wax, same number of coats (5). The difference is real and I think I'm done scraping. I say give it a try. The way I wax is I iron it on, let it glaze over, wait an extra minute and then brush it off while the board is still warm. Then, I hit it with the scrubby rubbing front to back 6 or 7 times. It takes a little more elbow grease but time wise it is faster and the result seems to be real.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

I always scrape but would love not to. It’s very time consuming. When you don’t scrape, doesn’t it leave an uneven surface? Last year at the Midwest Meet I did wax my RCs and then didn’t scrape afterwards. I got out on them, and they rode squirrely as it gets. I told myself that I’m not doing that again.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

My quess is scraping benefits are realized when riding groomed hardpack. Powder probably does not care if the surface is rough due to wax being left on.
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
        My quess is scraping benefits are realized when riding groomed hardpack. Powder probably does not care if the surface is rough due to wax being left on.
        Good point.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

[QUOTE=mahatma;130690] the backcountry setup has Marker Baron's directly mounted, dead center. Marker did the install so it was done right. QUOTE]

Not to high-jack the thread but I would be interested in how/what Marker did to mount this set-up. How strong you feel the mount is and who would I contact to do the same for me.
          I just put my Maraudes with Schizo's up for sale, but if I can direct mount them to my Sherpa's, I would preferred to do that.

Comment

[QUOTE=mahatma;130690] the backcountry setup has Marker Baron's directly mounted, dead center. Marker did the install so it was done right. QUOTE]

Not to high-jack the thread but I would be interested in how/what Marker did to mount this set-up. How strong you feel the mount is and who would I contact to do the same for me.

I just put my Marauders with Schizo's up for sale, but if I can direct mount them to my Sherpa's, I would preferred to do that.

Comment

mahatma, you wax your boards 5 times? Like wax scrape repeat? Do you let the wax cool between 1-4 coats?
              www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
              DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
              Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
              GGO soft boot bindings
              Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

The wax/brush only method produces a glass smooth finish if done while warm. Allowed to cool, ridges develop. My boards are equally smooth rather I scrape or not. I always allow the boards to cool to "ice cold" between applying layers. I don't want to super-heat the boards. They sit at least 30 minutes between coats. The binding setup seems strong. I had no issues but I suppose time and use are the real litmus tests. I got mine done by Marker as I know a guy there. Got the bindings on the arm, too. It all cost me a case of Heineken and a bottle of red wine for his wife.
                "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

I forgot to mention one benefit of the Marker bindings - the ability to use the Marker crampons. The 126mm ones fit the Sherpas. They attach via a rail and clip method. Sliding the crampons into the rails is a little frustrating with cold hands as it's finicky. But, they work. I grabbed a set at the powder station when I stopped by to have the bindings adjusted and to verify the setup was still tight at all points.

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                    I forgot to mention one benefit of the Marker bindings - the ability to use the Marker crampons. The 126mm ones fit the Sherpas. They attach via a rail and clip method. Sliding the crampons into the rails is a little frustrating with cold hands as it's finicky. But, they work. I grabbed a set at the powder station when I stopped by to have the bindings adjusted and to verify the setup was still tight at all points.
                    That would be my dream setup, I'm going to look into getting mine setup that way.

Comment

Rgzip,
                      At this stage I'm pleased. I especially like that the setup can be installed by any competent ski shop and all parts are commercially available and therefore readily replaceable. The only thing I had to do was custom cut skins. Even a monkey like me managed that with minimal wailing.

Comment

[QUOTE=mahatma;130817]Rgzip,
                        At this stage I'm pleased. I especially like that the setup can be installed by any competent ski shop

So how are the Marker bindings installed directly? Please post a photo.
                        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I hope this shows it well enough. I was told the screws were held in place with some sort of epoxy that comes shaped like a big tootsie roll. Apparently, the tootsie roll has an outer skin and an inner meat portion. You cut off a piece, mush it together so it mixes and then you have an epoxy on your hands. But, I was told by jjue that there is a stronger method. I don't want to goober up the explanation so if you want to know how he does it please drop him a line.

Comment

Also, it talking to the guy who did the install he said a jig was required to drill the holes properly. That's probably common sense to those who do this sort of thing but wanted to say it, anyway.

Comment

Jeff Singer has direct mounted Sherpas with Fritschi bindings by drilling the board like you would any ski, He does recommend using marine epoxy with fiberglass powder in the screw holes, I have torture tested Sherpas that he has mounted like that as well as mounting Fritschi myself that way, this is a bit different then most ski shops mount bindings as they don't usually epoxy the screws in, when mounted in this way the bindings seem secure,,,have had no loose bindings or binding pull out,
                              'T

Sent from my MID7012 using Tapatalk
                              Boards :
                              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                              Boots
                              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                              Bindings:
                              Zero Pro Non release Binding
                              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
                              X