KTP's on ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KTP's on ice

This year I got KTP's which are extremely awesome, a big step up from my Bantam's and really great to ride. I love the stability/maneuverability combo and the high speed carving I'm able to do, it seems the harder I push the boards the better they perform. However, I noticed one area I'm not so confident on the KTP's is on ice, and unfortunately we see a lot of that here on the east coast. Don't get me wrong, I can make it down trails fine, but I don't feel comfortable going fast because I don't have a lot of edge grip. I don't know if it's the width of the boards or the way I'm riding them, but I just feel like I could fall very easily on turns. I made a quick attempt at jjue's "slarving" technique one day, but it seemed to me like I had to lean just the right amount or the boards could still slide out. I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or has any tips. Thanks in advance!

Hey mhealey, where do you normally ride? I am in Massachusetts too and would love to skiboard with another if you are up for it sometime. I think for your ice dilemma, just having confidence in your edges is a good step and trying to get them dug in on the icy turn, though often with ice there is not too much you can do!

Derek

Comment

I am at Wachusett usually every week. I think maybe just being more aggressive on ice could work, it has worked in every other area. I will give it a try on thursday

Comment

Riding ice on skiboards is actually a lot like driving on ice. You just have to recognize that any attempts at sudden movement are not going to work. Quick turns, carves, or attempts to stop are going to fail. The trick is that you have to take everything gradually. You aren't going to be able to turn as fast, and stopping is going to take much longer. Depending upon the steepness of the slope, stopping may not even be an option. When riding on ice, you can go fast, but you just have to be more aware of the fact that it is going to take much more room to turn or stop.

Generally on the east coast, the slope won't be pure ice, but a mix of ice, frozen crud, slush, etc. Learning to avoid the iciest parts, and focusing your turns where the snow is softer (often the sides of trails) will make it much more enjoyable. When you are on a pure sheet of ice, there is little you can do. If the trails is steep enough, and the slope is consistently icy, there will be times where you will have to be sideways most of the time, just skidding back and forth.

Since the KTPs are wider, you have to lean further to get them to edge, so you are further off from "flat balance" when you edge on ice. This will make it feel a little less steady at first, but once you get use to that feeling, you will ride the same way.

Comment

Thanks for your input, I will try all of these suggestions when I go up on Thursday. I'm sure you have plenty of experience Kirk

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
            Riding ice on skiboards is actually a lot like driving on ice. You just have to recognize that any attempts at sudden movement are not going to work. Quick turns, carves, or attempts to stop are going to fail. The trick is that you have to take everything gradually.
            That is a great analogy and great advice. Smooth and easy movements. I also have found I need to fight the tendency to continue applying increasing pressure until the point where the edges are completely lost. In the ice I used to just keep pushing and pushing trying to get the edge to bite better and eventually the edge would be lost.
            In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Working...
            X