Flat light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat light

Today was one of those flat light days, well, in places, not so much flat light as pure guesswork! Now there will be folks who will tell you they can teach you to ride in flat light, some I am sure who are happy to take your $ to do so, but the reality is, its a question of practice and mindset.
    When riding flat light, you switch from initiating to responding. You can't see problems coming to initiate avoidance, you can only hit the problem and then respond to it. You must have the right eyewear, forget grey, think amber, and forgiving boards. Till now for me at least, nothing compared to the 120 in these conditions, but now there is a new kid on the block, the Rockered Condor.
    Right up there with the most forgiving sliders I have ever used.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    Till now for me at least, nothing compared to the 120 in these conditions, but now there is a new kid on the block, the Rockered Condor.
    Right up there with the most forgiving sliders I have ever used.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    How are you feeling about the 125s? I think the flat light you are talking about is what I hate during twilight (the time between light and dark). It’s a real bitch to see then. I have to swap out my grey lens goggles for my amber. On cloudy days I wear my amber pair all day. I love to night shred though when it’s completely dark and the lights go on, I can see everything then.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I'd highly recommend the Anon Blue Lagoon for flat light/greybird days. Absolutely amazing lens. I generally wear them shoveling in bluebird, mixed or overcast days. If I'm out before dusk for a few hours I'm shocked how dark it is after I take them off, they act like night vision.

Check out Anon's lens guide and play around with different lenses and conditions.

http://www.anonoptics.com/lens-tints/

I wore my Anon white Comrade's with that lens yesterday due to a bright but overcast day with dull and snow conditions early in the afternoon, really brightened things up - huge difference, even at 2pm it was pretty dark without them. I noticed a few others on the hill with their orange/gold chrome goggles up on their helmet as a result, just too dark using them. Great depth perception, easily able to pick up ice patches. They're not the best for contrast, perhaps, but for the conditions here the majority of the time the Blue Lagoon lens is hard to beat. Even on a bright, clear sky day my eyes don't get tired and they give great colors.

Peripheral vision is sick on the Comrade's, zero issues checking over my shoulder for other ski/snowboarders. That said my VonZipper Fubars and Fishbowl have an equal and even a wider range of vision side to side and especially downward. The Fubars are cool if you want to rock a vintage look and for the price, ultra wide vision and super soft flex they're hard to beat. I left them home on this trip but I'm sure the blue or yellow lenses would have worked out well. I wanted to test out the Fishbowls but the Gold Chrome lens, as sexy as it is, was too dark for the conditions. Perhaps I'm a gear junkie but I'd rather not have that as my handicap for any hobby or sport. While I did purchase a pair of VZ Feenom's last year I resold them as they hugged my eyes too closely and lacked good peripheral vision. I definitely don't have a large or wide head by any means which made me weary as the Fishbowl's the biggest out there but I ordered them anyway. Superb fit, good flex, amazing vision.
      Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
      Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
      Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

Working...
      X