No announcement yet.

First time out tonight and my thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time out tonight and my thoughts.

After stumbling upon the idea of skiboards a few weeks ago I knew I needed to try them. Finding out one of my local mountains in BC canada had head salamanders for rent (I know they are not true skiboards) I just needed to find some time to go out by myself and that was tonight.

I will start off by saying rental ski boots are horrid lol I've never tried skiing before and I have been snowboarding since I was a kid. After I got my lift ticket and hit up the rental shop I made my way to the bunny hill. I walked up the hill about 10 feet drop the snowblades down and attempted to snap my boot into the binding. I found out if there is a clump of snow on the bottom of the boot you cant snap in haha. Down I go I didn't try to turn just wanted to try stopping. BAM I tried stopping how I do when ice skating or inline skating and i stopped. After the amazement of not eating snow I jump on the bunny lift. I saw some little kids on skies with out poles skating so I followed what they were doing and made my way into the line up. Getting off the lift was beautiful no more slapping my foot into my binding and tightening the straps just off I went. I first tried turning how I saw skiers doing it and I didn't fall but It felt awkward and I kept catching a edge. So I tried just letting one leg stick out and plow to turn and that worked for a few links. About half way down I tried getting my weight back over my heels and bending my knees and turn how I would going down a hill on my inline blades. It just clicked It wasn't all that smooth but I was carving/drifting in a fashion that allowed me to dodge people and control where I wanted to go.

I then proceeded to the real lift got to the top and took a green run. It's a pretty steep face to start for a green but I just went for it. I tried thinking about what I was doing and analyze my movements but out of control I got knowing I had to do something. I just put my downhill foot onto edge took my weight off the inside foot and I turned, all of a sudden I felt in control all it took was like 2 seconds of "SH*T" to realize there prob is proper technique but relax and let my body do what it knows. So it took 1 run on the bunny hill and half of a green to get carving and stopping down. From there I was getting more aggressive leaning the edges right over dragging my hand stopping when I had to (Feet got really sore on the soles). In less then a hour I accomplished more then what I have in boarding in my first few times out. I was hitting greens/blues playing in small amount of powder and I tried some tree runs but I don't quite have quick straight carves yet.
    All in all I only feel 3 times. They were caused by me trying to do a butter not leaning back in some powder and catching a toe edge on a bump. I was glad I had releasable bindings.

I never really felt at home snowboarding but tonight I felt as if Ive done this before and I now believe you guys when you say it is like ice skating or inline skating. One word to describe it "beautiful" I'm total stoked to get my gear. Only thing I'm worried about is boots cause I could see how a bad pair could easily ruin your experience.

Sorry about spelling or editing It's 2:48am here and I just got in from the pub just had to let you guys know that you now have another person hooked.

Glad you had a good first experience and had fun. I started on the same boards and rode them for my entire first year in all types of conditions and terrain. They aren't true skiboards, but they are good to start on. If you look around on the forum there are lots of videos posted that might give you some ideas on riding form and techniques. If you can find it there is a nice Japanese video that shows carving and some trick techniques. The "Junk Show" videos are also good - a lot of park riding so if you are into that there is a lot of footage. These also have some general riding.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

The Head 94s were the first skiboards I rode too and really enjoyed them for the first few trips out. However, I outgrew them really quickly. KTPs were my next boards and those are what really got me hooked on skiboarding in a big way. They were such a huge step up in capability and gave me plenty of room to grow. I rode them almost exclusively for over two seasons.
      Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
      Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
      Full Tilt Boots
      Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

There is a good deal on ebay right now for the spruce 120s, 350 shipped with bindings to canada which I just picked up as my first pair of true ski boards. I have used a pair of 100cm firefly snow blades for the past 5 years and finally upgraded. And also just sold them locally which was a nice bonus. What is your home mountain.

Comment

Working...
        X