Mad At Sunrise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad At Sunrise

Packed up the kids in the car Friday night and drove the four hours to Sunrise Ski Resort in AZ for some weekend snow fun. Had a great day Saturday, but as we left the wind was starting to blow some of the powdery snow onto the access road. No big deal right, a huge resort like this has a plow and a contingency plan for a little blowing snow?

Guess not. We came back Sunday morning to find a three mile back up on the access road. Two hours and two hundred yards later we turned around and drove the four hours back to Phoenix, mad as hell! Based on what people were posting, they were still stuck on that road at 11:30. Apparently all due to a small section of the road with blown snow on it. I have no doubt this was due to some fool in a Grande Marquis getting stuck on the road, and then another, and another. We saw hundreds of folks turning around. I bet a lot of them will never come back.

I'm just venting here but;

Why do they not have a plow?

Why could they not see this coming, we did?

Why not post road conditions?

Why allow rear wheel drive family sedans on the road?

Why not require chains, AWD or 4x4?

Why not provide a park and ride bus?

Why?why?why?why?
    Just these, nothing else !

Bad Wolf,

That is one thing I love about Japan. Did you say a client had a negative experience at our establishment and it was preventable? Oh, you must not like it here. Let us give you the opportunity to find a more suitable for you work environment. Oh, and since we'll need to offer up a "free to all" day (no doubt during the week as opposed to a weekend) in order to recover our reputation, you'll not be paid for your last month with us.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
      Bad Wolf,

That is one thing I love about Japan. Did you say a client had a negative experience at our establishment and it was preventable? Oh, you must not like it here. Let us give you the opportunity to find a more suitable for you work environment. Oh, and since we'll need to offer up a "free to all" day (no doubt during the week as opposed to a weekend) in order to recover our reputation, you'll not be paid for your last month with us.
      I admire that in eastern cultures. They really value you and your business. That kind of attitude still exists in the west, but it's getting harder to find. Money talks here short term, but not long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
        I have no doubt this was due to some fool in a Grande Marquis getting stuck on the road, and then another, and another.
        Previous years I've been stuck behind idiots with non-snow capable cars or bad tires going up the road to Snowbowl. Turning around just isn't an option once you start up the mountain.

My Escape has horrible tires and 2WD so I'm taking a bus from a transportation company up to Snowbowl and back. I'm actually going to end up saving some money since they give you a lift ticket in the package cost.

Comment

This past weekend I seen a guy getting his car loaded onto a transport vehicle. I didn't see the accident but he apparently slid off the road and kissed the mountain wall hard enough to require the vehicle to be transported away. A nice, 5 series BMW with a tasty ski rack and radial tires. The hood was pretty bowed up so he gave the mountain a good whack. I suppose he thought he would put on chains when he needed them.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
            This past weekend I seen a guy getting his car loaded onto a transport vehicle. I didn't see the accident but he apparently slid off the road and kissed the mountain wall hard enough to require the vehicle to be transported away. A nice, 5 series BMW with a tasty ski rack and radial tires. The hood was pretty bowed up so he gave the mountain a good whack. I suppose he thought he would put on chains when he needed them.
            Shame, about the car.

I put the blame for things like this on the resorts. People will always be stupid, if you let them. The easy solution is to post conditions with the option to make the road chains/4x4 only, but that may lead to a loss of revenue. Stupid is a stupid does.

Comment

Mostly in the Alps, the valley road leads in to the mountains and the ski resorts are higher up, up spur roads. If conditions are bad, the local police stop people from going up if they don't have snow tyres or chains. Still see accidents though. I once had to wait most of a day to get up because some clown in a tour bus got it wedged across the entire road in one of the villages, closing it down and damaging two buildings on opposite sides of the road.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

Working...
              X