Serious Injuries Obtained From Skiboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Injuries Obtained From Skiboarding

I am curious to find out from those of you who got injured (broken limbs, dislocated shoulders etc.) during skiboarding as to under which circumstances it happened. For instance did it happen due to the park, off-piste or just on the groomers? What did you break, how long were you out etc. What kind of gear were you riding with at the time?
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

I blew out C4-C5 when I landed a jump that was slightly off piste back in '05. I was riding MNPs. I was out for the rest of the season. I had to have my neck fused and plated.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      I blew out C4-C5 when I landed a jump that was slightly off piste back in '05. I was riding MNPs. I was out for the rest of the season. I had to have my neck fused and plated.
      Wow, I never knew.
      No injuries here in ten years of skiboarding.
      Odds and ends on skis, nothing serious, few busted ribs, one thumb etc
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

I split my face open and needed a dozen stitches after hooking a boulder while skiing in the trees at Beaver Creek. I was on a pair of Spruce 120s, it was icy in the trees, and I probably would have had the same accident on skis, shorter skiboards, or anything else short other than crampons ... the conditions sucked. I didn't lose any mountain time but it did slow down my drinking later that night. So far I have been lucky and this is my only injury of note on skiboards.

Generally I find myself on my ass a lot less on skiboards than on skis. And when I do fall it is an easy pop back up and not the long "find my skis/poles" production that would have had previously on skis. I feel a lot safer on skiboards than on skis in all conditions except when it is really icy.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Torn mcl, fractured kneecap, tibia, nose and forehead. I was foolishly riding the Boardercross track on snowblades whilst lightly inebriated so was my own fault....
          Unless you risk it, you don't know what it is.
          *Proud designer of the SBOL hoodie*

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
            Wow, I never knew.
            No injuries here in ten years of skiboarding.
            Odds and ends on skis, nothing serious, few busted ribs, one thumb etc
            Wait a minute. I forgot something else that I can most likely contribute to skiboarding. In '09 I had an MRI done because I was having lower back and leg pain. I found out that L3-L4 was ruptured, L4-L5 was herniated (slight tear), and L5-S1 was bulging (actually had a laminectomy at this level in '91). I'm pretty sure I caused this damage by going off a jump at Wolf Creek in Colorado while riding Sherpas. I got a lot more air than I was expecting to. I landed hard and felt a sharp pain in my lower back. I started having problems shortly thereafter. So far I've been able to avoid surgery by practicing inversion therapy daily along with stretching and exercising. I should probably stop going off jumps.
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I broke my left scapula twice. The first time was back in 2001, where I went fast over a hill crest at night w/ poor lighting. Turns out on the other side was an exposed road. The second time was at the dry slope park in Liberty, Virginia a couple years ago. I was riding backwards, and when I went to turn around, my skiboard caught in a seam, stopping my feet and sending me into a dive straight to my shoulder.

Other than that, I have had several "day enders" from bangs, concussions, etc - but nothing requiring a hospital trip.

Also, towards the end of last season, I tore three tendons in my ankle practicing flips on a trampoline the night before a big air comp.

Comment

Skiboarding:

1 Concussion

about 20 total feet of ice-rash on my back

bruised rib

BMX

1 broken arm

1 Spiral fracture up tibia with 7" metal plate and 9 screws

Snowboarding

1 Broken elbow with 2 pins

Inline Skating

1 torn ACL (by far worst injury)
                sigpic

Comment

Bruised/broken ribs, separated left shoulder, broken fingers, concussions, shin laceration, split open face, ten right shoulder dislocations, torn left rotator cuff, severely bruised both hip bones (I think everyone remembers my massively swollen black and purple hips/glutes), and hyperextended elbows.

While some of those happened in the pow, on the cliff drops, and in the trees, most happened in the park.

I have a nice laundry list of injuries from skating.
                  I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post
                    Bruised/broken ribs, separated left shoulder, broken fingers, concussions, shin laceration, split open face, ten right shoulder dislocations, torn left rotator cuff, severely bruised both hip bones (I think everyone remembers my massively swollen black and purple hips/glutes), and hyperextended elbows.

While some of those happened in the pow, on the cliff drops, and in the trees, most happened in the park.

I have a nice laundry list of injuries from skating.

Haha definitely had the severely bruised hip bones when I first started riding park.....hyperextended my elbow pretty bad at liberty a few years ago.....took a rail to the face at Big Boulder....Peed blood after horribly overshooting a jump at the Mt. Snow SBOL meetup. Few concussions....and last season I partially tore my meniscus first day out riding switch through moguls on twins.

Heres to being healthy this year!

Comment

Nothing to speak of while on skiboards. Long skis are a different story. About 10 years ago while running slalom gates I had a classic boot top double fracture where the broken ends side slipped past each other about 4". I've not been back on long skis since. In fact, with all the hardware in my leg if it weren't for soft boots and short skis I wouldn't be able to ski at all anymore. 100 years ago I would of lost my leg, 200 years ago I probably would have died from the double compound fracture. Ever since the accident I am a lot more cautious now that I realize that I'm not bullet proof. Shorties have saved my skiing life.

Comment

Working...
                      X