Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi From Australia

Hi From Australia

I'm fairly new to skiboarding as this season was the second time I've tried. First time I was on a pair of Canon CS and snapped one of the boards (seemingly they were prone to fractures near the binding) and I fractured a rib too. This time around was waaaay better though. Bought a pair of '11 DLP's with spruce risers and release bindings and went to New Zealand with the wife.

Got up on the intermediate slopes on the first day and tried the park too. Received a lesson from a skiboard wearing instructor who showed my wife an I the correct stance plus how to stop on various runs including some blacks. He then proceeded to show us how to carve and do 360's too. Anyway absolutely love these boards!!!!

Skiboards over this side of the world though seem to attract a lot of hate from adults ???? but the kids think they're awesome. They're always approaching my wife and I to find out what they are and what they can do and even try to catch up with us on the slopes.

Off to Zao Onsen in Japan at the end of the year. I'll see how I go in powder then....

Cheers, Donny

Welcome welcome, Good to hear you're enjoying the DLP's a great set of boards
    Unless you risk it, you don't know what it is.
    *Proud designer of the SBOL hoodie*

Comment

Hey Donny-

Welcome! You broke your rib right when starting out and still came back for more? You've got my respect already. That's hardcore.

Young or old, people in the Northwest US are pretty cool with skiboarding with the occasional exception. I find the region I ride in makes a big difference. Also, areas with a stronger big mountain following seem to be more skeptical. If younger riders are more supportive, I guess that just makes skiboarding an awesome way to stay young, right?

Dang man, I have a life dream of experiencing Japan and its powder riding. I am so jealous!

www.sfc-usa.com

Comment

G'day Donny,
        I'm also from Aus, I've been hitting Hotham & Falls on skiboards a bit this year (got a season pass). Also visiting Japan later this year, though we haven't planned on a specific resort yet. There are at least another 2 aussies I've seen on this forum, both from Melbourne like myself.

Cheers
        Murph
        Spruce Ospreys 130cm
        Summit Marauders 125cm
        RVL8 RCondors 110cm
        RVL8 KTPs 101cm

Rossignol Soul 7 164cm
        Head Ethan Too 161cm

Spruce Pro prime plus Risers
        Technine softboot bindings

Ozone Imp 2.5m Kite
        Ozone Access 6m Kite
        Ozone Access 8m Kite

Comment

Awesome. Was hoping to hit up Mt Buller before the end of the season but might not be able to make it now with work commitments. We decided on Zao Onsen as it's the oldest resort in Japan, more traditional and has some of the best onsen in the country

Comment

I'm one of the other Aussie's on here

also on '11 DLP's

I haven't been able to get up the hill yet this year, been waaaaaaaaaaaaayyy to flat out with work

Heading up to Falls this Wed coming through to the Sun if anyone is up that way and wants to come for a burn? (looking at you Murph??)

I'm also heading to Shredfest feb next year in Tahoe. Cant wait!!

Comment

Planning a day trip to Falls Saturday with a mate or two. Long day driving from/to Melbourne/Falls Creek. 4am start, get a pie and coffee in Bright drive another hour, hit the slopes about 8:30amm for first lifts, last lifts 4:30pm. Pub meal somewhere and get home about midnight.
              Spruce Ospreys 130cm
              Summit Marauders 125cm
              RVL8 RCondors 110cm
              RVL8 KTPs 101cm

Rossignol Soul 7 164cm
              Head Ethan Too 161cm

Spruce Pro prime plus Risers
              Technine softboot bindings

Ozone Imp 2.5m Kite
              Ozone Access 6m Kite
              Ozone Access 8m Kite

Comment

Holy crap that's epic!!!!

Comment

Donny:

You said "Received a lesson from a skiboard wearing instructor...." - I must say that is something you don't see everyday - at least not where I skiboard in the US! I only know of one ski resort in the eastern part of the US that uses skiboards/blades in their instruction program. Pretty cool just happening to run into that instructor.
                  In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                  Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Welcome Donny... I'm another boarder from Melbourne. Haven't been up much the past year or so (reduced to just a day at BawBaw last year) and have only been to Hotham for a day this year so far. I'm there this weekend though and conditions are looking pretty good.

You're right about the hate from adults... I was just chilling waiting for a lift at Hotham and had some guy talking to a girl behind me. She was commenting on my boards, not negatively, and the guy came out saying that they're just like BigFoots and that the saying is "Friends don't let friends use BigFoots." Just one of the many comments we endure. Meh.

Originally posted by Murph View Post
                    Planning a day trip to Falls Saturday with a mate or two. Long day driving from/to Melbourne/Falls Creek. 4am start, get a pie and coffee in Bright drive another hour, hit the slopes about 8:30amm for first lifts, last lifts 4:30pm. Pub meal somewhere and get home about midnight.
                    I know how much of a mission that is. I did a day trip from Pakenham to Hotham a few weeks back. Was about a 5hr drive there, and then 6hrs back before I got home. I was wrecked for a few days after.
                    '09 Revel8 KTPs
                    Bomber EliteII Bindings
                    '08 Tecnica The Agent 100s

Comment

Working...
                    X