Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Slarving" turns on the Rockered Condor (Tips from Shane McConkey)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am continuing this thread because understanding the principles of slarving is key to understanding the dramatic new world that the Rockered Condor makes available to skiboarders....
    The guys on big rockered skis have tons more float then we ever will on our short 110 Condors and slarving like they do on big Alaskan faces will realistically be outside our domain ... but just imagine what can be done by our skilled young riders in the backcountry out here in the west on Rockered Condors ... guys and gals , let me tell you ... there is a whole new look and style of riding that the new Rockered Condor is opening up .... you can practice it at the resort and take it right out into the backcountry .... let the guys at TGR show you how the guys on the big sticks do it ....

"In this week's episode of Behind The Line Sage Cattabriga-Alosa gets schooled on some butters by Chris Benchetler early season, perfects them in Jackson Hole, and takes his new moves to the big stage, Alaska. As Sage describes "The Schmearing and buttering we are able to do these days on skis really ads a lot of variety to skiing and just a fun way to move through the mountains."

Last edited by Greco; 02-03-2012, 07:52 AM.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

PSIA pivot slip videos

The Slarve is also called the Pivot slip and is part of the required examination skills for Professional Ski Instructors .. Here are some more videos.... these types of turns are essential to understanding the Rockered Condor and how it works in steeps , ice, and in moguls and pow ...
      The backside pivot slip drill is cool and directly relates to the butters that you see in pow on the TGR film on the previous post

In another post I discussed Joe Nevin's green line mogul technique , perfecting the pivot slip , allows you to then move that technique directly into mogul fields

Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

I've always referred to this as drifting

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
          I've always referred to this as drifting
          yes , Joe Nevin also uses "drift " or precision drift to explain this technique , here is his explanation of why he uses that terminology :

"Note: for P.S.I.A. terminologists - we consciously use the term "drift" because it is a more customer friendly word to describe a "pivot slip" and also because it implies a positive, desired, intentional move rather than the term "skid" which implies an undesirable, out of control action. "

These series of articles by Joe Nevin are key to understanding the power of adding drifting to your skiboard tool kit . Drifting works great with any skiboard, but some skiboards do it better then others ..The absolute best current skiboard for doing precision drifts is the Rockered Condor . Skiboards are superb carvers and that is great . What I am preaching , is like Joe Nevins is saying, not getting rid of that euphoric carve , but adding precision drifts into our tool box. as well

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/secret-speed-control

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/exploit-your-edge-angles

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/great...iing-technique

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/botto...-speed-control

While I am really excited about this technique because of how well the Rockered Condor does it , it really does apply to other skiboards as well .
          Here is a post I did a few years ago discussing how this technique applies to the Spruce 120 .
          http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ead.php?t=5646
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

That being said, I consider drifting or "Slarving" to be one of the most important tools you can have for skiboarding or skiing.

Comment

Great info.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Just came across this thread and wow is this an encyclopedia for the newest generation skiboards!
                I always have skiied in the slarving style, especially in steeper terrains; a bit of carving and a bit of sliding conjoined. Until having read this thread, I always thought that my style was a result of inferiority in skillset, like a step-down from achieving the perfect S carves. Having learned that this is a legitimate steep/pow ski style really has made me reconsider my upcoming board choices...would be very interesting to see how the Blunt XL would slarve in pow in comparison to RC's. Thanks for this thread!

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                I am continuing this thread because understanding the principles of slarving is key to understanding the dramatic new world that the Rockered Condor makes available to skiboarders....
                The guys on big rockered skis have tons more float then we ever will on our short 110 Condors and slarving like they do on big Alaskan faces will realistically be outside our domain ... but just imagine what can be done by our skilled young riders in the backcountry out here in the west on Rockered Condors ... guys and gals , let me tell you ... there is a whole new look and style of riding that the new Rockered Condor is opening up .... you can practice it at the resort and take it right out into the backcountry .... let the guys at TGR show you how the guys on the big sticks do it ....

"In this week's episode of Behind The Line Sage Cattabriga-Alosa gets schooled on some butters by Chris Benchetler early season, perfects them in Jackson Hole, and takes his new moves to the big stage, Alaska. As Sage describes "The Schmearing and buttering we are able to do these days on skis really ads a lot of variety to skiing and just a fun way to move through the mountains."

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                  yes , Joe Nevin also uses "drift " or precision drift to explain this technique , here is his explanation of why he uses that terminology :

"Note: for P.S.I.A. terminologists - we consciously use the term "drift" because it is a more customer friendly word to describe a "pivot slip" and also because it implies a positive, desired, intentional move rather than the term "skid" which implies an undesirable, out of control action. "

These series of articles by Joe Nevin are key to understanding the power of adding drifting to your skiboard tool kit . Drifting works great with any skiboard, but some skiboards do it better then others ..The absolute best current skiboard for doing precision drifts is the Rockered Condor . Skiboards are superb carvers and that is great . What I am preaching , is like Joe Nevins is saying, not getting rid of that euphoric carve , but adding precision drifts into our tool box. as well

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/secret-speed-control

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/exploit-your-edge-angles

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/great...iing-technique

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/botto...-speed-control

While I am really excited about this technique because of how well the Rockered Condor does it , it really does apply to other skiboards as well .
                  Here is a post I did a few years ago discussing how this technique applies to the Spruce 120 .
                  http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ead.php?t=5646
                  Giving this part of this older thread a bump. Good stuff to read in preparation for the start of the North American season.
                  In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                  Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Going from carve to slide on icy snow ....

With three choices for wided bodied rockered zero camber, slarve , slide happy skiboards , doing precision drifts, slarves or pivot slides is now a great easy tool for owners of the Blunts, Blunt Xls , and the RC. One interesting feature of all these boards is that how far to go in trusting your edges before going into a controlled slide or pivot slide on icy snow is something that is different and needs to be learnt on each of these boards , as they are all different . For example , I always revert into a controlled slide on my RC in any kind of icy conditions and have learned to control that slide in any condition no matter how nasty and icy the conditions . Last season the Blunt I found out that I could carve and hold an edge much easier then on my RC and began trusting that edge more and more and feeling invincibile until the edge released on a steep icy slope and I got dumped and slid quite a ways on my butt .. I learned that with any of these boards there is a limit to edge hold . gradually finding where that is and then learning when to resort to controlled slides , is something that just comes with more flight time on each board ... I am looking forward to finding where that balance point is on the XLs , The wonderful characteristic of all three boards is that with zero camber and rocker and uber wide underfoot , all three boards are spectacular sliders and I can controll myself in icy firm snow in a controlled slide much better then with cambered narrower boards that have a tendency to catch edges when thrown into controlled slides...
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Very interesting thread. I too have been "slarving" or drifting for a while now. I started playing with snow when I was 3, pizza wedge ski style. When I turned 7 I got a snowboard and though I loved being on the mountain, I hated snowboarding; It felt like I was strapped to a death plank of sorts... I learned how to drift the edge to maintain control when I couldn't carve. I switched to skiing when I was 10. Coming from a snowboarding background, moving to skis was like eating cake. Oddly enough, as ski boards grow in width and length, they begin to look more like a cross between short twin tips and miniature single-footed snowboards. ESPECIALLY the RC's. These things look like mini snowboards for each foot, so it makes sense that they would behave as such.
                      EDIT: also, from an inline/ice skating perspective, drifting is a lot like a series of controlled "hockey-stops".

Comment

Working...
                      X