Too much powder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much powder?

So I had a rare opportunity last weekend. I live in Wyoming, and we have a ski resort right in the middle of a protected woodland area, so it is pretty remote. Well my girlfriend and 2 of my roommates got the chance to go there right after a snowstorm, and consistent snow the entire week prior. When we got there at 9am last Saturday, every trail had between 18-24" of standing snow on it, some had even more. It was downright ridiculous. Being the first people there that day, even the lift lines were just piled with snow. This is also a natural trail type of resort, so the groomer rarely ever runs. This led to lots of natural jumps, which I find more fun than man made jumps, atleast for now.

My poor little KTP's couldn't hold me up if I turned too hard. I tell you what you though, there is nothing like going down a trail by yourself, never seeing another person, and going 20+ mph through mid-thigh high powder, without making a sound.

I tried riding a box for the first time, and it was a lot easier than I thought. I do have a problem though. I can land off of just about any jump (5 feet or less probably), and then when I land I can make it about 5 more feet pretty consistently, but just after that I just end up on my ass from my boards going out from under me (to the front). I'm sure it comes with practice, but I didn't expect to be able to land jumps and crash later haha. I guess that is what "riding it out" is.

I definitely think so longer Revel8's or some of the Spruces are in order. Like everyone else here, I think I need 3 or 4 sets of boards to be truly happy

did you try putting your binding back to the rear inserts on the KTP ?

in deep snow .. what helps ,are three things , one is steeper runs ( speed is a friend for float ) secondly , it is very important to get your weight back to the back of the board to make the tips come up to help generate lift ...also it is important not to turn too hard but just float down the fall line boards together acting like one board , no hard turns , just gentle bouncing up and down on the tails , straight down the fall line being careful not to kill off too much speed.
    once you lose speed by over turning in deep pow you slow way down and lose float .... .
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
      did you try putting your binding back to the rear inserts on the KTP ?

in deep snow .. what helps ,are three things , one is steeper runs ( speed is a friend for float ) secondly , it is very important to get your weight back to the back of the board to make the tips come up to help generate lift ...also it is important not to turn too hard but just float down the fall line boards together acting like one board , no hard turns , just gentle bouncing up and down on the tails , straight down the fall line being careful not to kill off too much speed.
      once you lose speed by over turning in deep pow you slow way down and lose float .... .
      I did set back my bindings which helped a lot. This was my first time ever this way, and it sure made skating a lot easier too. What a difference 4cm makes.

The runs weren't all that steep, and I wasn't pushing myself in the right places so I would have that necessary speed. I think a powder run is really dictated moreso by your "line" compared to a groomed run, or how you start at the top of the trail. Groomed runs you can start and stop at any time, and The third or fourth time down a run I was picking lines that increased my speed that made the powder much easier to contend with.

The other thing I tried that I had never thought of before, and started by accident, was riding with my boards together you talked about. I had so much more lift this way, and I could turn with minor weight shifts to my heels, which kept me from sinking or wiping out when I tried to turn.

This was my 5th time skiboarding, and it was pretty overwhelming. I had never hit anything the KTPs couldn't handle before, and even with my best form, speed, line, feet together, and good weight distribution, I was still going down the mountain in powder over my knees, and that you just can't get around with 101cm boards. I was very impressed though with just how much I could go through on the KTP's being 195 lbs. I went through stuff even my skiing friends couldn't do because they didn't have the right skiis.

I really want to try some ALPS or Condors, or maybe even the 120 Spruces now. I don't think anything will beat a KTP through the trees, but for bombing a run or powder I definitely need something else for my size. Plus you can't beat the $199 pricetag for the Spruces without bindings.

Comment

liquid-beaver , i have tried all the boards you mention for deep powder including your KTP and am around your weight at 190 lbs .. for float, surface area is king .. i consider the spruce 120 , the alp , the revolt , and the ktp in one class in terms of float , although the spruce 120 for example has more length and a bit more float then the alp , revolt and ktp . for a guy our weight it is not that much difference .. if you move up to the super surface area skiboards , the increase in float and speed in deep pow at our weight is dramatic .. the super surface area boards are the Sherpa and the Condor , the Sherpa has a bit more float then the Condor .. but not all that much more and the Condor has an amazing amount of float packed into a short length because of its super wide profile all the way from tip to tail .. if you already have the KTP and are looking for a powder board .. there is absolutely no question in my mind that a guy in the 190 plus range in weight should be looking at the Condor or the Sherpa as their first choices...also if you like the KTP and are used to the width .. the perfect board to complement it is it's big brother the Condor !
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

That powder sounds so tasty. You are truly right, nothing feels better than floating on some powder with no one around and no sounds other than the swish of fluffy powder kicking around as you cruise through. Any powder I have been on this year was with Revolts, but I highly suggest getting a pair of Condors. Mine are waxed and ready to roll the second I get some deep pow.
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
            a guy in the 190 plus range in weight should be looking at the Condor or the Sherpa as their first choices... !
            I agree 100%. I'm 185 with a full belly and love riding the ALPs (and also ride 120's) but for big powder days I'm going to want the float that you get with the bigger boards.

Comment

i miss powder

Comment

It's snowing in Colorado :P
                Always on the brink of success or insanity!

Comment

Working...
                X