Skiboarding in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboarding in France

Hi, I'm a 43 year old Brit who's been riding, what I thought were called snowblades, since my first pair of Bigfoot originals (the matt black ones with the pink toenails). Last week I went to Val D'Isere with a group of 16 skiiers of varying competence. Of course they all scoffed when I took my old 94cm Blizzards out of the bag, until the first day on the mountain when I blitzed past them all on the piste (in style)!
    The next day it snowed..a lot and the pistes soon turned into piles of crud. Of course I got the inevitable upper leg burn all day as I had to lean back to avoid the face plants. It continued to snow overnight, so the next morning I resorted to hiring a pair of skis and poles so I could keep up with my mates, without exhausting myself.
    The sun came out and the snow turned once more into piles of crud on the steeper pistes. In the afternoon I had been having a miserable time on the sh*tty hire skis when my salvation finally appeared. We had just skied down a really steep black covered in ice and piles of crud and were at the bottom of the slope watching the intermediates carefully pick their way down the piste. Suddenly this bloke came bombing down the hill backwards, putting in perfect carving turns then leaping over the crud he did a 180 and changed direction. He had no poles a we all stood there open jawed as he changed direction again and effortlessly skated past us backwards. I immediately set off in pursuit and finally caught up with him when he got to the lift. I got chatting to him and asked him about his ride. He was an American and he told me they were called skiboards. He was wearing a pair of Summit Marauder 125's.
    That evening I went shopping in Val D'Isere to see if I could find any. None of the shops had even heard of them or understood what i was talking about, even though I spoke very slowly and very loudly with a french accent.
    I'm now back home in the UK and yesterday won an Ebay auction, a pair of new Summit Marauders 125's from the States Unfortunately I'll now have to wait 12 months before I can try them out.

It's going to be a very very long year!

Valmorel lives down in Essex and has gone to MK Snozone before. AAMOF I'll be going there tomorrow morning. Even though you might not be able to make it make it back to the slopes soon, you can also join up for a riding session indoors to try your boards out.
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Grommit lives in Norwich. We are eagerly awaiting the Snoasis to be built at Ipswich.
      BTW.. dont be such a wuss... grab a bargain three days in The Three Valleys from skiweekends.com. Brutal coach journey but great value
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

That Snoasis looks promising but still a 1.5 hour drive for me as I live on the N. Norfolk coast. I'm tempted to take my family to the Alps for half term but the wife doesn't like snow. I suppose it would be cheaper to leave her behind and go with the kids.
        Otherwise it might snow here again this year and I could get my boy to tow me around the field behind our 4x4 quadbike at full chat, which is always a laugh

Comment

Working...
        X