Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit boards

Hey everyone,

I'm new to skiboarding. I've never tried it (or skiing or snowboarding, for that matter) until this weekend, but I had a good time and have been looking into buying a pair.

I used my friends Salomons (which seemed fine, as I have nothing to compare them to..), but after reading why they are not sold here and how much better some of the other boards are, I'm excited to try it out on something decent (I have my eye on the Revolt and KTPs).

So, I have a question before making any decisions as to what to buy.. Why are Summit Nomads not sold through SBOL?? They are made of good quality material, good dimensions, can ride backwards, etc. They seem too good to be for around $180, compared to $260-ish for R8s.

Thanks in advance.
    2011 Revel8 KTPs, Spruce Pro Sport bindings

I haven't personally ridden the Summit Nomads that you speak of, but i do ride the KTPs from originally riding snow blades and can tell you that its worth every penny! The ride is more stable and more controllable. I've been riding ski boards since 2000 and can say Revel 8 definitely knows the sport and know how to design their skiboards.
    Always on the brink of success or insanity!

Comment

Hi Izzonap ,
      welcome to skiboarding ! and welcome to the SBOL forum , the one community location on the internet to get the straight scoop about skiboarding .
      Summit boards are the house brand of Skiboards.com , an online retailer .
      Revel8 boards are the house brand of Skiboardsonline.com , also an online retailer .
      Both online retailers sell some boards in common , such as Snowjam boards , as well as other skiboard products such as Bomber bindings for example .
      Summit skiboards are generally of good quality and performance and they are , as you have , pointed out , priced significantly less this season then comparable boards on SBOL .
      Those are the facts ... but what consumers often don't know is that there is a lot more about this business then meets the eye ...
      Read this before you buy any skiboard product :
      http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=10265

IMHO I will not buy or recommend products sold by Skiboards.com. I was a strong supporter of that online retailer in the past and bought many skiboards from them over the years , but that company has turned it's back on the skiboard community in many ways . There used to be an open active forum on that web site much like this one where people could freely post their ideas about skiboarding and skiboard products. First there was censorship on that site of any views that were negative about skiboards.com products or positive about SBOL products. Then suddenly the messageboard was taken down all together and contributions of many members to a very robust database about skiboarding was eliminated forever. Unlike SBOL ,skiboards.com does not support pro riders , or rider gatherings such as Jay Jam or Shredfest , or invest in research and devlopment and produce the wide range of innovative skiboards that have been developed by Revel8. Compare the three models of Summit skiboards with the large selection of designs available by Revel8. It costs money for a small business to provide inventory to support such a wide range of boards in a niche sport.
      Customer service is spotty and responsiveness to customer inquiries or concerns has been poor at Skiboards.com, . unlike SBOL where customer service is the best of any online retailer of any product bar none.
      In the past comparable products by SBOL and Summit were priced very close to each other . This year there was a signficant reduction in prices at Summit . I assume that the management over there believes that skiboarders will not care whether a company supports skiboarding as a sport , whether it takes the time and energy to host a robust community forum lke this one , or take the time and energy to support responsive customer service, or invest in a large inventory of many different designs of skiboards so customers can have a choice.. They seem to believe that as consumers we will just choose price over everything else and care less about the sport as a whole . Maybe one year of sharp price reductions will kill their competitor's business and they can raise prices back up next year.
      I for one disagree with that idea.. . I think that informed consumers will vote with their dollars, they will vote for the continuance of this sport , they will vote for the continuance of this community , and for innovation and growth of this sport . The few extra dollars you spend at SBOL are a vote for a community , a sport, and for a business that deals straight with skiboarders , is not afraid of open discussion of its products, and a business that cares deeply about its customers . Believe me , where you spend your money , goes a long way toward deciding whether there will be any skiboarding community at all.

Sorry for the long rant ... but your question is an important one .. and the answer, I care deeply about ....
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I as well was a skiboards.com supporter who participated in the forums. I actually switched to skiboardsonline.com because here has a much better community (even when both forums were active).

As for the customer service, its amazing! Greco is the man and he will take care of his new customers like they were seasoned skiboarders.
        Always on the brink of success or insanity!

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
          Hi Izzonap ,
          welcome to skiboarding ! and welcome to the SBOL forum , the one community location on the internet to get the straight scoop about skiboarding .
          Summit boards are the house brand of Skiboards.com , an online retailer .
          Revel8 boards are the house brand of Skiboardsonline.com , also an online retailer .
          Both online retailers sell some boards in common , such as Snowjam boards , as well as other skiboard products such as Bomber bindings for example .
          Summit skiboards are generally of good quality and performance and they are , as you have , pointed out , priced significantly less this season then comparable boards on SBOL .
          Those are the facts ... but what consumers often don't know is that there is a lot more about this business then meets the eye ...
          Read this before you buy any skiboard product :
          http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=10265

IMHO I will not buy or recommend products sold by Skiboards.com. I was a strong supporter of that online retailer in the past and bought many skiboards from them over the years , but that company has turned it's back on the skiboard community in many ways . There used to be an open active forum on that web site much like this one where people could freely post their ideas about skiboarding and skiboard products. First there was censorship on that site of any views that were negative about skiboards.com products or positive about SBOL products. Then suddenly the messageboard was taken down all together and contributions of many members to a very robust database about skiboarding was eliminated forever. Unlike SBOL ,skiboards.com does not support pro riders , or rider gatherings such as Jay Jam or Shredfest , or invest in research and devlopment and produce the wide range of innovative skiboards that have been developed by Revel8. Compare the three models of Summit skiboards with the large selection of designs available by Revel8. It costs money for a small business to provide inventory to support such a wide range of boards in a niche sport.
          Customer service is spotty and responsiveness to customer inquiries or concerns has been poor at Skiboards.com, . unlike SBOL where customer service is the best of any online retailer of any product bar none.
          In the past comparable products by SBOL and Summit were priced very close to each other . This year there was a signficant reduction in prices at Summit . I assume that the management over there believes that skiboarders will not care whether a company supports skiboarding as a sport , whether it takes the time and energy to host a robust community forum lke this one , or take the time and energy to support responsive customer service, or invest in a large inventory of many different designs of skiboards so customers can have a choice.. They seem to believe that as consumers we will just choose price over everything else and care less about the sport as a whole . Maybe one year of sharp price reductions will kill their competitor's business and they can raise prices back up next year.
          I for one disagree with that idea.. . I think that informed consumers will vote with their dollars, they will vote for the continuance of this sport , they will vote for the continuance of this community , and for innovation and growth of this sport . The few extra dollars you spend at SBOL are a vote for a community , a sport, and for a business that deals straight with skiboarders , is not afraid of open discussion of its products, and a business that cares deeply about its customers . Believe me , where you spend your money , goes a long way toward deciding whether there will be any skiboarding community at all.

Sorry for the long rant ... but your question is an important one .. and the answer, I care deeply about ....
          Jack, reading this post made me realize how great it is we have Revel8 and Greco as part of an amazing rider community and sport as a whole!

Revel8 has pretty much singlehandedly (along with a few others...allz/spruce to name a few) kept the sport alive and thriving....they support riders, the sport, and invest every penny you spend into the future of skiboarding!

Comment

I ride a pair of Summit Nomads and I am happy with them. They are still quality boards. What did surprise me, is that when they arrived the release mounting were directly in the board instead of on a riser. Not that it is a big issue, the closeness to the boards, probably compensates for the stiffness of the design.

However what did surprise me was this comments made on ski-blades.com page (also owned by skiboards.com).
            Myth 2: It is necessary to use release bindings mounted on a riser plate that fits the 4 hole standard mounting pattern (fits into the 4 inserts) in order to maintain proper flex of the ski blades.
            An example is the Spruce Riser plate and bindings. This is simply not true. Worse, these are definitely dangerous.
            For me this looked like FUD, especially as I have not seen real scientific proof that the above is true. One thing that turns me off about companies or people is exactly this kind of behaviour.

Support:

I get questions answered by skiboards.com, but only it seems, if they are submitted before 7am Colorado time. Also the only person who responds with sense is Doc Roberts himself.

When I bent one of the brakes on the bindings, the support from this community was was quicker than anything I got from skiboards.com.

Community:

The one thing that SBOL totally gets and skiboards.com does not is that of the user community. Having a forum is one of the best places to get user feedback, be it positive or negative. One want to know how good your are doing, how badly you are doing, how the consumers perceive your products vs that of your competitors. It takes an open-minded, forward-thinking and outward-looking company to take this feedback and improve their service offerings. These are the kind of companies that survive and which are treated with respect by consumers. They are the ones that get custoemrs returning for subsequent purchases.

Inward-looking and insecure companies don't. I am a bit surprises Doc does not not understand this, given his Ph.D in psychology.

The fact is that Greco, Jeff etc has given to the community and the community have given back. This synergy is what drives the development of the sport and makes itr sustainable.

Next purchase:

Will I buy another pair from skiboards.com? Probably not. If I want a long board, I'll choose a Spruce 120/130 over the Marauder 125. If I want to get a 110, I opt for a Revel8 board. Another thing is that skiboards would be willing to sell you a Marauder and the Fritschi bindings but they will not mount them for you. When you get into that kind of backcountry kit, which I have not yet, but probably will do soon, you would probably want to have as much support as possible. If you read some of the backcountry threads you'll see what real service is about.

If I needs a skiboard bag and I am in the US again, I might consider getting one from them though, as they are quite good, but my next pair of boards will not be Summit.

Should you buy from skiboards.com?

Nobody is going to stop you doing that. You might even find that you might get a good deal on a pair of Summit boards, but you have to make a decision on what is you want to have in the long-term. You should consider all of the non-financial aspects as well, before making your decision.

Even then you'll still be welcome here. Because this is an open community and welcomes all skiboarders.
            Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
            Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
            Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
              For me this looked like FUD, especially as I have not seen real scientific proof that the above is true. One thing that turns me off about companies or people is exactly this kind of behaviour.
              Thanks, ysb33r, for pointing out this untrue and malicious statement on "ski-blades.com". When I read that the hair stood up on the back of my neck. Healthy, energetic competition is generally a good thing but patently false lying crosses the line. I have done a lot of business with them in the past but that burns the last bridge.

I couldn't agree more with Jack, Ty and others that now more than ever it's important to rally behind our friends, our friends being Greco, Jeff, skiboardsonline, Spruce and Revel8.

BTW, if you think the nomads are okay you'll be blown away if you ever get a chance to ride a pair of 120's.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I went back to the other site just to take a closer look at everything, after reading through this thread, and I read something that pretty much said they provide quality boards without ripping people off. lol.. So clearly directed at SBOL.

Anyway, I really do see the difference between them and SBOL. So I would like to buy my equipment from here. Shipping to Canada is going to suck, though

Comment

Originally posted by izzonnap View Post
                  Anyway, I really do see the difference between them and SBOL. So I would like to buy my equipment from here. Shipping to Canada is going to suck, though
                  Good decision.

Check this out about shipping to Canada: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ead.php?t=7274
                  sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                    Good decision.

Check this out about shipping to Canada: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ead.php?t=7274
                    And, also
                    Shop-Task is now an official R8 Dealer in Canada. Prices are a little higher, but the shipping would be cheaper, without the chance of getting dinged by customs.
                    2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Just checked out that site. They don't have the KTPs, which im leaning toward.
                      I added the revolts and bindings to the shopping cart just to see the price, anyway.. and I nearly shat myself lol. $620, before boots and goggles.

Comment

Yah, I think it's kind of sad that it works out cheaper to order from the US that from Canada, especially given right now our dollar is above parity. If you do a comparison, there's a difference of $70 before tax, shipping is $20 instead of $40, so you're looking at a $50 difference. Then they charge taxes (~$75, full 13% for ontario) vs customs being on the declared value (ie, replacement value) which I don't believe has ever been what I paid, so customs has always worked out cheaper than what the HST would be. If you go for UPS you're going to pay a huge brokerage fee, but if you go USPS / Canada Post, the customs fee is a flat $6 + HST on the declared value. So even though I would love to support a Canadian dealer, an extra cost of about 15-20% just isn't worth it. Especially with the fact our dollar is so high.

Comment

Have you considered shipping it to the border then picking it up yourself?
                          This is what I did. Border still charged 50 bucks sales tax for my province, but I saved the 48 dollar difference in US->Canadian shipping rate.

Make sure you contact the place first though.. wouldnt want those brand new Revel8s to be mishandled.. or misplaced

http://betterdollar.com/mailorder/pick-up-at-us-border/
                          Revel8 2011 KTP 101cm Skiboards
                          Zero Pro Silver Non-Release Bindings
                          ATOMIC B50 Boots

Comment

Working...
                          X