No announcement yet.

Powder! How do you deal with it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to add here having spent 20 years on skis prior to seeing the light, it is nonsense to assume all skis ski powder ok. Most of them dont! They are too skinny and the flex is all wrong. Nightmare difficult. The tips twist all over the place. Scary.
    At 175 lbs, the first skiboard that worked really well for me in pow was the 105 Revolt. The 110 ALP is better still, and the 120 better again. This season I will be trying Condors, but will miss being led into deep pow by Jjue, so will have to find some in Europe.
    All the tips you have been given are sound, but the greatest help of all is the 'set back' everyone is talking about. I needed set-back on the 105s, but not on the 110s or 120s. I think it would have helped on the 110s, not so much on the 120s. I wont be using set-back on the Condor.
    If you wanted to take the risk, I guess you could mount your Riser with two screws only, front screw holes on the Riser into back screw holes on the board. That would give you the 40mm set back that seems about right. I have never tried this, but early skiboards only had two inserts to start with, and they seemed ok. Release bindings dont load the inserts like fixies do anyway as when load builds up, they ....release!
    Having pulled a few R8 boards apart, they are well constructed with sound wooden cores and decent quality inserts.
    If you have shop skills, making an adapter to allow set-back is a simple matter though. Good luck.
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
      Oh, come on Andrew. Moving them back, four screws? That's a pain to do for riding in a day of powder with non-release? You're getting lazy, my friend :-)
      I think he means moving the bindings back on the Riser which is a min 14 self tappers and a major pain
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by bri_guy View Post
        How do you deal with this stuff??? Am I just using the wrong boards for powder? I guess skill advancement would always help, but as I watched skiers and snowboarders effortlessly going down the hill, I couldn't help but think I was doing something wrong. Is powder a known disadvantage of skiboards? How can I improve? Would a longer board (like a Revolt or a Spruce 120) be better suited to these conditions? How about width?
        Um.... help? lol
        Hi, Briguy!
        Don't worry--powder is a beast! You're right--a lot of it is skill, and it WILL get better with practice. My first day with SERIOUS powder this year about killed me--and this was on a 4 day trip! The stuff fried my quads (this from a person who works out daily) mostly because of inexperience and poor technique. Day 2 we met a madman bombing down black diamonds in deep, chopped up powder on little Lines! (shorter and possibly narrower than your mj's!) One piece of advice he gave me was to push those tails up against that mountain! I tried it, and made it down the run feeling pretty solid. My husband's advice that trip which helped immensely was to try to keep my skis together and make one platform, equally weighting both feet so that one wouldn't sink. This was HARD for me to do, but concentrating on that seemed to help. By the end of the 4 days, I was actually having fun in the stuff, and knew that more experience and technique would just make it better. So stick with it!
        That said, better equipment doesn't hurt. The first day I was on ALPs, and the 2nd day I switched to 120s. We're talking knee to hip depth here for an inexperienced powder rider, so though the ALPs are sufficient, I needed all the help I could get. The 120s were awesome--smooth and easy, and kept popping up on top of that stuff when I remembered to press down on those tails. It felt pretty good, too, when we saw guys with big fat rockered pow skis getting stuck in the stuff! and when I did sink down, it was easier for me to kick those 120s out than for our friends on their long skis!
        You're 10lbs lighter than I am, so I think you'll see a big difference if you go to Revolts. They'd be great all purpose boards! If you live where you get a lot of deep powder, think about 120s. Jack let me test his out last year at Shredfest, and I was surprised at how great they were!
        Cindy
        '07 "soft" ALPs
        Eyeball DLPs
        125 LEs
        Ospreys mounted bindings
        Crossbows
        Spruce riser release bindings
        Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

Comment

I will take everyone's advice here and at least learn to ride differently in it. Leaning back, pressure on my heels.

The truth is, powder isn't something I'll probably encounter very often on my hills, but at least I know how to deal with it properly.

To follow up to this, which of these 3--Revolt, ALP, Spruce 120--do you think would make the best second skiboard for me? Considering:
          -My skills are still "intermediate minus"... I go down a few black diamonds now, but am still working on my form and different types of conditions.... ALPs indicate they are a board for intermediate or expert riders.
          -Powder won't be encountered that often, but crud and icy conditions will.
          -My weight is below 140, so I'm not sure how well I'd be able to control these longer boards. More worried about the ALP/DLP and Spruce 120 than the Revolt.

I guess I'm really eyeing the ALP/DLP most of all, because I'm tempted to go long for stability (but not too long), while looking for something that feels a lot different than my MJ's.

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
             Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
             Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
             Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
          Bindings
             Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
             Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
          Other
             Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
             Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

ALP for sure. It is a real All Mountain Board and at your weight will handle powder for you. It is a board you can grow in to. Keep the 120 as aspirational. Get there one day
            Go Android

Comment

I suggest that you try meeting up with some of the other riders in the Toronto area. There seems to a number of riders and would expect a number of different skiboards to try out, if they are willing.

BTW: The Revolts would provide a signicantly different ride than the MJs and ALP/DLP may be too much.
              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                I think he means moving the bindings back on the Riser which is a min 14 self tappers and a major pain
                Exactly. 8 screws in inserts is easy, remounting those bindings for a day of powder is a pain.
                I do it because I can.
                I can because I want to.
                I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                '08 KTPs

Comment

I'd recommend the ALPs, they just float. I mean, you said powder wasn't normal for you (I think) so there's no need for Condors, 120s are just too long, and you may encounter the same problems you are having with your MJs on the Revolts though it is unlikely.

Try some out, don't rule out KTPs either because everything I've heard about them is that they are awesome.
                  Revel8 ALPdors
                  Gold Revel8 Receptors
                  Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                  ____
                  Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                  If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                    ALP for sure. It is a real All Mountain Board and at your weight will handle powder for you. It is a board you can grow in to. Keep the 120 as aspirational. Get there one day

Agree'd.
                    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

I completely agree with Jeaho on this matter. Granted yes, certain boards are designed to handle better in powder. But, riding powder is based on technique and practice, not just the board. You can stick someone who has never skiboarded before on some Condors and expect them to be cruising down some powdery steeps. Get the technique down. Long boards and wide boards are not required. I had no problem maintaing the same speed on B-Dubs last year at Jay Jam as everyone else did on their ALPs and KTPs. In fact, Jay Roussell, who rides 90cm I believe, was killing it in the powder. A new rider had extreme difficulty with his 120s. An experienced rider on 110s had a lot of difficulty. While making the choice for a powder based board is important technique is everything. If you love your Mary Janes, rock them and just practice cutting through powder. It is an entirely new experience for the legs. Work on some jump squats and get those quads in top shape. You'll find then with the right technique and muscle tone that your Mary Janes will do everything you need. If you are desiring a board that can handle more in the snow and want to keep the maneuverability, ALPs/DLPs and Revolts are extremely similar with the only main difference in feel being the 5cm difference. The Revolts, while being shorter, are more maneuverable, especially to a rider newer to that size. That ALPs/DLPs will give you more speed.
                      I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                        I suggest that you try meeting up with some of the other riders in the Toronto area. There seems to a number of riders and would expect a number of different skiboards to try out, if they are willing.
                        I've got ALPs and KTPs that you could try, though you might have a hard time getting me off the ALPs of late I love them, but I can't really give too much input on how you would find them as I don't fall anywhere near your weight.

Comment

Revolts!

Thanks everyone for your input!

After much thought, I decided to order a set of Revolt Bullseyes. The ALP/DLP seemed like an attractive choice, but in the end, the "do everything" specs of the Revolt won out, especially since I'm a relative lightweight.

I should have them in a few weeks and I'll be sure to post a review once they arrive! So stoked!

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                          Bindings
                          Other
                             Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Congratulations, Briguy Can't wait to hear your reaction after you try them out!
                            '07 "soft" ALPs
                            Eyeball DLPs
                            125 LEs
                            Ospreys mounted bindings
                            Crossbows
                            Spruce riser release bindings
                            Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

Comment

Thanks!

I paid extra for faster shipping so I can enjoy them for 2 months this season instead of 1.5!

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                              Bindings
                              Other
                                 Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Working...
                              X