Minimum age for non-release bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum age for non-release bindings

Digging through the forums and the SBOL products there are many references to minimum height for non-release bindings. There are a couple fo references saying children should always be on release bidngins, even though some people have said they had their youngers cousins etc on non-release bindings.

One can argue that kids don;t have a storng enough bone structure etc. and I have been wondering what the minimum age would be. THat got me thinking as to the origins for some of the statements or common knoweldge.

Does anyone have any pointers to real research done in this area?
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

It would be hard to put an age on when to allow kids to ride non-release.
    Example if you would say 12 years old is a good age to start letting you kid ride non-realease thats not specific enough. You could have a 12 year old that is 4' nd weighs 90 lbs..which in my opinion is no big enough to ride non-release. Or you could have a 12 year old that is 5'8" nd 170 lbs which is in my opinion big enough to ride non-release. Thats why height nd weight are way more important then age.
    '11 Revel8 KTP

Comment

Originally posted by jrod2110 View Post
      It would be hard to put an age on when to allow kids to ride non-release.
      Example if you would say 12 years old is a good age to start letting you kid ride non-realease thats not specific enough. You could have a 12 year old that is 4' nd weighs 90 lbs..which in my opinion is no big enough to ride non-release. Or you could have a 12 year old that is 5'8" nd 170 lbs which is in my opinion big enough to ride non-release. Thats why height nd weight are way more important then age.
      Also, skiboard length plays a big role. I'm around 5'3" and 100 lbs and have never had problems with non releasables on my jedis, but I wouldn't dare ride ALP's with non releasables.
      Line Jedis
      Line Bullets
      '11 KTP's
      2xFF cams
      '11 silver receptors
      Full Tilt Booters

Comment

Originally posted by Fast View Post
        Also, skiboard length plays a big role. I'm around 5'3" and 100 lbs and have never had problems with non releasables on my jedis, but I wouldn't dare ride ALP's with non releasables.
        I did, and I'm 6'1, and I paid for it. But skiing is inherently risky, so take my injury with a grain of salt. I've been riding nonreleasables since 1999.

Comment

Is there a separate DIN chart for children? I don't think so. I am pretty sure people think that their kids don't have necessary fear and therefore pile on the protection items. I don't think it is because of a weak body structure. But I haven't looked into it deeply or anything. I did find one interesting link though

http://www.ski-injury.com/specific-risk-groups/kids
          www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
          DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
          Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
          GGO soft boot bindings
          Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

Originally posted by bee View Post
            Is there a separate DIN chart for children? I don't think so. I am pretty sure people think that their kids don't have necessary fear and therefore pile on the protection items. I don't think it is because of a weak body structure. But I haven't looked into it deeply or anything. I did find one interesting link though

http://www.ski-injury.com/specific-risk-groups/kids
            I agree, children definitely don't get injured due to weak body structure. Just a few weeks ago I wa skiing in Austria, and at the bottom of some steep moguls there was a big bump in the ground. I was going pretty fast, so I didn't see it in time and couldn't react in time. I went flying up in the air, and landed straight on my elbow, as in all my weight on it. Heard a small crack, but I could move it fine without much pain. I'm pretty sure this would have broken any adults arm, so children definitely have more flexible bones.
            Line Jedis
            Line Bullets
            '11 KTP's
            2xFF cams
            '11 silver receptors
            Full Tilt Booters

Comment

I started on non release bindings in the 7th grade and haven't had a problem since.
              Always on the brink of success or insanity!

Comment

Working...
              X