Teaching my 10 yr old to skiboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching my 10 yr old to skiboard

I want to take my 10 year old ( less than 5'6" fwiw) to start teaching him to skiboard.

I'm wondering if I should start him off on a pair of really short skis first (because of the releasable bindings and the fact that the shortest sb's that I own are 90cm, and the place that rents them only rents 99cm's) or should I just put him on the 90's and let him have at it? Note: he's never been before and he's not really a quick learner.

The sb's have the advantage of the extra width (groove skywalkers are the 90's that I own, also have a set of weapons, and mnp's in 94,98 cm's if for some reason they's be better.)

The skis I'd be able to get the shortest ones that they had at the rental shop, yet still allow him to have the releaseable bindings.

Maybe skiboards with poles??

Opinions, obviously I want to give him the best opportunity so he won't quit and never return...??
    SBOL Team III Member
    Icelantic Scout 143cm / Marker Bindings
    K2 Public Enemy 179cm / Marker Bindings

How athletic is he? If you could get a pair of releasables and put em on skiboards it would be a good option. I would think probably using poles to help him maneuver around. A 98/99 cm board would give him a comfortable stability, but he might find that a wide 99/98 cm board might be too big of a board for him.

Comment

I would recommend you go with the Snowjam 75's and mount some Risers on them. It won't be a cheap start into skiboarding (unless you have some Risers already), but I think that would be the best entry point.
      Rossi Soft Lite 3
      Line Mike Nick Pro w/FF Pro ('99)
      Line Mike Nick Pro w/FF Pro ('00)
      Mix BWP w/ Bomber Elite

Comment

of course releasables are safer to start with.
        litl kids usually take up skiing quite easy. actually i would suggest no poles or take one (or both) in both hands, just to train the kid's shoulders and the rest of the body to control the skis (instead of stumbling on poles).
        if you want to experience the element - get out of the vehicle!

Comment

if you are putting him on non release bindings then you really should go with 75cm boards. i wouldn't go longer. if you've got some releasable spruce risers then you could go a bit longer.

g

Comment

I'm not ready to purchase a set of spruce risers, or 75cm boards at this time since I don't know if he's going to take to it or not.

I'll start him off on a really really short pair of skis, and if he takes to them, then next year I'll get him his own pair of sb's and go from there

thanks

John
            SBOL Team III Member
            Icelantic Scout 143cm / Marker Bindings
            K2 Public Enemy 179cm / Marker Bindings

Comment

My 4 1/2 year old grandson started on 1M short skis this season and after watching him for two days, I concluded that he would do much better on skiboards. I put him on Salomon Grom's (62 cm) with little homemade wooden risers with release bindings and what a difference! The short turn radius of the skiboards makes all the difference in the world. He makes perfect parallel turns now and is always hunting for a jump to try. He went up three levels in his ski school in five lessons.

I would say start with skiboards (short) even if you use fixed bindings for a day or so. If he takes to it, then worry about the binding issue. I can send you a drawing for making a wooden riser for a small boot if you want. Then you can just pick up some kids release bindings.

Comment

Working...
              X