Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm finally skiboarding!! But doing something wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm finally skiboarding!! But doing something wrong...

Yesterday was my 3rd time on skiboards! I'm finally getting the hang of it! I had a blast yesterday! I'm still only on the green runs (but finally off the bunny hill)...taking it slow. Next weekend I'm hoping to try a blue run.

My only problem... When I'm going down the hill every now and then I get off balance, so I had hubby stay behind me and tell me what is going on. He said it was like I would dig my rear skiboard in the snow, which would make my board turn. Anyone have any tips/ideas what I'm doing wrong? Now yesterday was a slushy mess. We have been having 50+ degree days, so the snow was very soft!! Maybe it had something to do with that.

Anyway, I had a blast and only fell a few times! I've finally mastered getting off the lift without falling too! LOL I'm sure I'm just a sight to watch!

heyaim, i don't think you are necessarily doing anything wrong .. skiboards turn like fiends .. just pressure one or the other or both of the skiboards and they will turn immediately .. how quickly or how fast we turn depends on how much we pressure our skiboards into a turn .. in slushy conditions it is harder sometimes to regulate how much pressure we are applying as there will be patches of loose snow and then patches of firmer snow .. just takes practice .. some times in slushy conditions it will be easier to just not pressure your skiboards into the turn as much as in firm snow and then the skiboard will not catch and turn .. ie ride with a little flatter boards...
    hope that helps..
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

The size of your boards and center of gravity might be playing a factor as well. I know that when I first went out(4x this season on my new DLPs) having the added length behind the binding made me want to be lazy and kind of recline. I've gotten pretty comfortable riding centered or even forward in some conditions and I feel much more stable.

Our snow as of lately is less than desirable and not ideal to be learning on, just hang in there.

Comment

Try to 'feel' how you are standing in your skiboot. If you feel your weight going on to your heels, move to feel more of the front part of your foot. That will fix it, and after a few runs, it becomes intuitive as you muscle memory develops.
        Crossbow (go to dream board)
        Most everything else over time.
        Go Android

Comment

A similar thing was happening to me at the cruddy April snow at Okemo last year, but I would actually start to gyrate... which was a problem. I definitely ride backseat a lot, since I'm in the moguls or riding over less than groomed terrain, and I find keeping the tips light helps my boards gliding over all of that. But it definitely has it's disadvantages, like the occasional spinning out of a hard turn, and quickly burning through my energy. I think the others offer good advice. Try to notice where the most pressure is, and if it's in your heel, try to keep it in mind and shift your weight a little more forward.

Comment

Thanks everyone! We will be back Saturday to ski some more. If I have the same problem again I will try to figure it out! I probably lean back...not sure...I think I remember DH saying something about that once. Probably cuz I'd rather fall on my butt than my face! LOL

It's supposed to be winter temps all week, so it shouldn't be slushy.

Comment

Heyaim,

I had/have the same problem. Almost all ways occurs for me when I forget to stand more upright and lean slightly forward with my knees (but just knees), but what happens is if I get my big butt too far back I loose my balance. So I gotta remember junk inside not hanging out back, knees forward but butt not sticking out to far - that seems to correct the problem. The transition from being lower to standing more upright (combine with forward pressure on toes) at speed actually make you feel like you’re going to have the boards shoot out from under you, but only for a second, then I’m usually in control again.
              ’07 Spruce Blue 120
              ’09 ALP 110
              ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
              ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
              ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Working...
              X