Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very weird tip to get someone skiboarding right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very weird tip to get someone skiboarding right!

My wife had always struggled a bit to keep up on the slopes, basically because she's still 'skiing' her skiboards - tensing up, leaning forwards, and skidding the tails round on each turn.

Yesterday, I told her she should be skiboarding the same way that Chicken Joe surfs (if you don't know what this means - go and rent 'Surf's Up' right now, it's great!).

For some reason, that nailed it. She finally started 'skiboarding'. I guess it's mainly about being relaxed, standing up straight, and leaning into each turn, but I was really surprised that one weird comment would have such an effect.

Anyone else used any weird ways to teach people skiboarding?

Oh, and just for fun, here's a clip (couple of secs at the beginning):

Happy new year everyone!

Scribbler

Haha, ironically enough, I've had a Surfs Up reference pop into my head when skiboarding before. It wasn't Chicken Joe. It was Z's advice to Cody about relaxing and just riding the wave. I've never told anyone that to get them to skiboard better, but maybe now I should.
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

so how exactly do people turn, i hope its not by leaning into a turn.......ie, rotating your shoulders. a good skiing foundation would massively improve skiboard technique. if your turning with your shoulders your never gonna be carving.
      Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
      Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

Originally posted by graeme View Post
        so how exactly do people turn, i hope its not by leaning into a turn.......ie, rotating your shoulders. a good skiing foundation would massively improve skiboard technique. if your turning with your shoulders your never gonna be carving.
        Right on!! I often tell people not to ride the boards by letting them go where they are pointed until they want to turn. That always puts them a split second behind control wise and causes the leaning and rotation of the shoulders. I tell them to drive the boards, feel the edges and make them go where you want them to go at all times. It's like driving a car and turning when you're going to hit something as oposed to steering at all time.
        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Leaning into a turn = leaning into the radius of the curve - i.e. leaning sideways.

Most skiers are taught first to snow-plough, and then to slowly being the skis closer and closer together into a parallel turn.

This tends to mean that beginners (including me on long skis) have a bit of a fear of leaning off balance, since if you do this when snow-plough turning you tend to wipe out. I guess this is what leads to the slow, smearing turns - leaning back on the skis with legs tensed ('toilet turning' I think it the correct term ).

It's very easy to do this kind of turn on skiboards, since they are shorter, and it's easy to smear them round. But this still means that the skiboarder (my wife, in this case) isn't going to get on edge, since this still involves leaning off balance.

So being nice and chilled, and calmly leaning into each turn like a water-skier, or the (rather exaggerated) surf clip I posted seems to help a lot.

I'm not saying that either I, or my wife have perfect skiboard technique - I don't think I've met enough skiboarders to even know what the perfect technique is. But going from tense, smearing turns to edging the boards in a relaxed, upright stance has got to be on the right track!

Comment

having a few ski lessons would get you on the right track.

Comment

leaning has nothing to do with turning, all turning is done with the lower half of the body, pressure, weighting and unweighting.

Comment

Fair enough. Maybe I'm doing everything wrong, and all the experienced skiers are wincing every time I go past...

Internet semantics are always a bit tricky, though - and I think you might have not quite got my meaning.

This is what I was trying to explain - I was going to draw some pics, but then I found this on a german website.

If you are scared of leaning to the side, you can get as far as stage 2 in this diagram, which isn't really carving. To do what I understood as 'proper' carving, you need to get your centre of balance off the the side (stage 3). At the outer point of your turn, you are leaning along the radius of the curve - as in stage 4.

Leaning to the side might not initiate the turn (that's about weight transfer), but as I understand it it's part of the whole carving technique.

Feel free to point out if you think I've misunderstood again - it's working pretty well for me at the moment, but maybe I'll run into problems in future.

Scribbler

Comment

what your talking about is not leaning, its angulation.

A bending of the body at the hips while simultaneously rotating the legs and inclining inward to allow pressure to be applied to the inside edge of the outer or lower foot and ski.

the pictures you have posted show angulation with whole body, this is not as effective as angulating using the hips/knees. using the hips/knees allows greater edge control and has a better balance. have a look above at the pic i posted, it shows a really dynamic position for us skiboarders to be in.

Comment

an easy way to practice this is while standing still, drop hips and knees into the slope, notice how boards are instantly on edge, dont lean upper body into this, keep upper body upright

Comment

I prefer a much more relaxed technique while riding, and I think this is what Scribbler was talking about. One of my favorite things about skiboards is that you don't have to "drive" them the way I see skiers handling their skis There is (in my opinion) no need to swivel and twist the hips to turn skiboards when it is so easy to simply pressure the outside boards and let the sidecut turn you. This allows the shoulders to stay square over the hips and keeps the spine in a much more natural alignment.

I believe it was Jack who wrote up an excellent piece describing how skiboarding can be easier on the body for just that reason. Since skiboards hit higher angles much sooner than skiers, we can adopt a stance that is much more akin to skiers who are racing. I remember watching the last winter olympics and noting how the downhill skiers had a form similar to my own. The beauty of that form on skiboards is that it can be employed at a wide range of speeds. The only difference for me is that I tend to widen my stance and drop a bit lower when I'm going faster.

This is not meant to disparage your technique, Graeme. I hope you dont take it that way. I feel like my style of riding is similar to Scribbler's, and I wanted to throw my perspective into the mix. I think everyone has a slightly different style when skiboarding, and a lot of that comes from what your snowsports background is. I've never skied, so my style developed along a different path than others. I have, however, experimented with the style that you illustrated. On grommers and in the glades, it didn't feel right to me. In moguls, it seemed to work well. For beginners though, I've found it best to teach them to relax and let the boards do the turning naturally.
                      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I use both techniques .. of angulation -upright upper body and angulated lower body . and also riding low on the boards equally weighted or more on one board and going right around with the turn radius of the board .. ,kind of gorilla style , and not really angulated at all .. both techniques work , and I vary my technique based on the terrain and what I feel like doing or what feels better.. to me the cool thing about skiboards is that in many ways they are self teaching and give us immediate feedback on what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong .... the freedom, for me of skiboards , is that once you have a bag of tricks , you are really liberated from having to ride in any one particular way , and have a lot of freedom to try all kinds of moves and get it done ... very different for me from skiing where getting the "correct" form down was really important ... long skis being less forgiving , demanded more attention to body position etc .. i like how in many ways skiboarding defines freedom for me , ,more then any snow sliding tool I have used..
                        Boards :
                        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                        Boots
                        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                        Bindings:
                        Zero Pro Non release Binding
                        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

[QUOTE=jjue;109970 I vary my technique based on the terrain and what I feel like doing or what feels better.. to me the cool thing about skiboards is that in many ways they are self teaching and give us immediate feedback on what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong ....[/QUOTE]

I am new to skiboarding (1 year anniversary this month! Woohoo!) and I have always felt that I didn't look as smooth as some of the skiers that I see (including my husband), but then I figure that if it is feeling good, who cares what it looks like. When I am scared-facing an unknown black run-I am always very awkward and stiff. Once I loosen up, I get down anywhere much easier. I think relaxing and having confidence in your ability-whatever that ability may be-is the key to having a blast! Especially for newbies like myself.

Comment

Hi guys, I need advice, i'm leaning with my body and everything and its working most of the times, but everytime i try to take it up a notch by leaning a bit more i just slide and fall sideways, its like my boards aren't getting the edge in the snow.. any advice? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Noni View Post
                              Hi guys, I need advice, i'm leaning with my body and everything and its working most of the times, but everytime i try to take it up a notch by leaning a bit more i just slide and fall sideways, its like my boards aren't getting the edge in the snow.. any advice? thanks
                              try bending your knees more. then you can push your legs down hard to grab an edge...

this stuff is always so hard to explain on paper

Comment

Working...
                              X