First Skiboarding Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Skiboarding Experience

Today I went out Skiboarding for the first time at Mt. Creek in NJ. It was awesome. So much fun. I totally had my share of wipeouts but I just got back up and rode it out. I rode with the team, so it was a good learning experience for me. Mark Cararro, Matt Hein, Dave Lynam, Talon, Art Jennings, Dave Bloom, and a few others were all there and were good examples for me to learn from and see the right things to do. I even got to meet Greco after talking to him on the forum for some time. I love how much of a family the team feels like. Everybody is just so close and supporting of each other. It felt awesome to be with that crowd. I got the hang of carving from side to side to control my speed and was able to stop myself. The only problem I really had was at some points of the trail, it was really icy and hard to control myself. Also, I kept getting the tails of my boards caught up with each other causing me to wipe out. That wasn't fun. Haha. Also, there were a few people who commented positively on the Skiboards saying that we were starting a new trend and they liked it. It was nice to hear that, but for the most part, I noticed that so many people were trash talking the sport. Saying the only thing hard about "Snow Blading" was telling your mom that you're gay. I even had to get into an argument with some kid laughing at another rider on Revel8's who fell down. Of course when I confronted them, they completely ignored me, turning their heads and acting like they didn't know I was talking to them. But overall, it was a fun day and I'm happy that I had people to talk me into the sport. I'm excited to keep riding!
    At the top of the underground

Revolt Chickens Can't wait to get out on the snow!

Revel8 all day!

Glad to hear you had fun. My first time was AMAZING, and I was on crappy rented boards that weren't even true skiboards! Don't let the trash talkers bother you. There is still a huge rift between skiers and snowboarders, and there probably always will be. I don't ever expect people to understand skiboarding (I still try to educate them though), what matters is that you don't stoop to their level. Just let it brush off, trash talkers are usually looking for a reaction, DON'T give it to them! I had a little kid on the lift ask me why I was using kid skis, and I replied "because they're fun!" Most people tend to be receptive if you handle it with a positive attitude. So, stay positive, and keep riding.

This sport is not for everyone, but those who enjoy it are getting a chance to enjoy snow sports. That is what is important. I LONGED for a snow sport that I could enjoy, and skiboarding has given me that. I tried snowboarding, and it was OK, but it didn't give me the feeling I was looking for. I am grateful to Greco and everyone here at SBOL for letting me enjoy the mountain. I don't think I could ever properly tell them how much it really means to me.

So, enjoy the sport, educate those who are receptive, and keep a positive attitude. People fear what they don't know. Just know that you weren't afraid to try something new! Welcome to the skiboard club!
    If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
    www.GetFitnessFast.com
    www.FastFitShake.com
    www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
    '07 BWP's
    2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
    Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Originally posted by Isetcodyonfire View Post
      I noticed that so many people were trash talking the sport. Saying the only thing hard about "Snow Blading" was telling your mom that you're gay. I even had to get into an argument with some kid laughing at another rider on Revel8's who fell down.
      I'm glad you had a great time and got to ride with some great riders.

Don't worry about the ney sayers. Arguing with these guys is a lot little wrestling with a pig….
      You get dirty and realize that the pig likes it.

Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
        Arguing with these guys is a lot little wrestling with a pig….
        You get dirty and realize that the pig likes it.
        Nice.

Comment

Went out to the local indoor slope this morning and just saw how skiboaridng is really the fast-track solution into enjoying the slopes. I saw some beginners on skis practising their turns down the slope. It just looked so painful. Failling over, getting skis crossed, slowly doing those snowplugh turns trying to get to parallel turns. Hey, if it was me I'd be the same. Well that was me beginning of last year before I switched to skiboards. Spoke to some of the beginners too. Some of them have been on skis as long (or more) as I have been on skis/skiboards combined . They could not believe that this geezer managed to wizz down so easily as I did especially for the little experience I have (If I am allowed to count the indoor slope, 7 days of total experience for me it would be).

Already nn my 2nd day on skiboards in the US I ran blues for most of the day. I even had to run a short black (or face a long ski around to the lift). I managed that by skidding down - no way I would have attempted any of that on skis.

Even though my technique is far from perfect, what I have learnt from people on this forum has been exceptionally helpful. I really was on a buzz today. It just felt so slick. I could long winding turns when I wanted to, small carving turns when I felt like it all the way from top to bottom. I even managed to get good speed to get me nearly all the way back to the poma without having to shuffle (still struggling with the skating). I even tried fakie down the slope!

Compared to those poor skiers today, I must have looked like a pro
          I really have fast-tracked by opting for skiboarding instead of skiiing. It is just a case of practice and trying out stuff. I am not going to be the poor skier who crosses skis on the surface tow and embarrissingly falls over or for that matter falls over getting off the lift.

So in reality, I am just re-iterating what others having been saying for yonks. Skiboards are instant fun, instant gratification.

And if I can do it, a lot other non-athletic types can too.

I don't wrestle the pig, I just enjoy the ham
          Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
            I don't wrestle the pig, I just enjoy the ham

Nice!!

Comment

One thing that I'd add ysb33r is that once you get comfortable on skiboards, you may be able to pick up regular skis with little problem too. I traded for a couple runs last year with a friend with the same bsl boots as myself, and (other then falling at slow speeds because they turned so slow) I had no problem at all with the long sticks.
              2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

And if I can do it, a lot other non-athletic types can too.
                I’d get up and high five you, but that would mean moving my samich, beer and pack of smokes off my fat stomach and exerting some energy. So I’ll just nod my triple chins in agreement.
                ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                ’09 ALP 110
                ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
                ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
                ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Working...
                X