X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkaFreak
    replied
    Originally posted by TNTurt1e View Post
    Think it was two years ago we had a woman die on the bunny slope in New Mexico. Was learning to ski (no helmet) and had a very slow speed backwards fall. Hit her head at that was the end.
    Yeah, brain buckets save lives. No question there. It is true that some people become more reckless with them, but at that point, nothing is really going to help. If they're that comfortable with the helmet, they would eventually be that comfortable without. And I remember that accident too.

Leave a comment:

• TNTurt1e
    replied
    Think it was two years ago we had a woman die on the bunny slope in New Mexico. Was learning to ski (no helmet) and had a very slow speed backwards fall. Hit her head at that was the end.

Leave a comment:

• koneco
    replied
    Originally posted by graeme View Post
    but are helmets really minimising the risk. i know i board hard and fast, is a helmet gonna afford me real protection? sometimes i use a lid, sometimes i dont, i think it depends if i am gonna be in the trees or not.
    what i am saying is people seem to think that if they put a helmet on they are safe, thats really not the case. all this talk about mandatory helmets is a load of rubbish. if i am riding on my boards, i am accepting anything that may or may not happen, it is an extreme sport. i would rather die doing something i love than laid up in a hospital bed for months with an illness
    You're probably right that some people think wearing a helmet is going to be like being in the center of a 30 x 30 foot cube of memory foam, just like some people drive 70mph on the highway in 6 inches of snow because they have 4WD.

Your head glances off a rock without a helmet, you get away with a nice gash, maybe worse. If you happened to be wearing a helmet, you get away dazed and thankful you wore a helmet. Of course, if you smash your head into a rock in such a way that your neck breaks, it's doubtful a helmet is going to protect you. As a skiboarder, or any sort of snowslider, you accept that your sport is inherently dangerous. I mean, I always joked about non-releasable bindings until I finally broke my damn leg in them. Releasables probably would've saved me a lot of money, pain, and the season, but by no means are they the fix-all.

An ounce of prevention!

Leave a comment:

• MitchK
    replied
    no, its what would be needed to protect you from a direct hit at 30mph
    Yes, but even a regular helmet with a direct hit @ 30 mph will leave you in better shape then no helmet at all. Complete safety and protection? No, but I will guarantee you that it will have helped.

Leave a comment:

• graeme
    replied
    but are helmets really minimising the risk. i know i board hard and fast, is a helmet gonna afford me real protection? sometimes i use a lid, sometimes i dont, i think it depends if i am gonna be in the trees or not.
    what i am saying is people seem to think that if they put a helmet on they are safe, thats really not the case. all this talk about mandatory helmets is a load of rubbish. if i am riding on my boards, i am accepting anything that may or may not happen, it is an extreme sport. i would rather die doing something i love than laid up in a hospital bed for months with an illness

Leave a comment:

• graeme
    replied
    Originally posted by ChaosAura View Post
    That would be what's needed to completely protect you with a fall, a helmet will help you in the case of any blow to the head. It might be the difference between walking away, or a concussion, it might make the difference between your life and a concussion
    no, its what would be needed to protect you from a direct hit at 30mph

Leave a comment:

• JPARK
    replied
    at certain speeds and angles of impact a helmet aint gonna help you anyways
    of course not. We are not trying to get away with the injuries 100% of the time.
    just trying to minimize the risk.

Leave a comment:

• MitchK
    replied
    taken from elsewhere
    That would be what's needed to completely protect you with a fall, a helmet will help you in the case of any blow to the head. It might be the difference between walking away, or a concussion, it might make the difference between your life and a concussion

Leave a comment:

• graeme
    replied
    So, whilst helmets may help reduce the incidence of more minor head injuries and lacerations they are less able to protect the foolhardy skier who pushes his or her limits and who (inadvertently) ends up wrapping themselves around a tree. To give a stark example, biomechanics have demonstrated that in order to protect the head against a direct impact blow at 30 mph, with currently available materials, a helmet would need to be at least 18cm thick, 50cm wide and weigh 5kg+. Hhhmm….stylish. Radar data collected from ski areas suggests most intermediate skiers regularly travel at between 24-38 mph.
    taken from elsewhere

Leave a comment:

• graeme
    replied
    at certain speeds and angles of impact a helmet aint gonna help you anyways

Leave a comment:

• JPARK
    replied
    My helmet saved me several times in last two years.

jumps rails powders...
    i had bad fall but helmet saved me
    I wear it unless I go to green slope with my gf.

another i found it helpful was wrist guard.
    riding without it for couple hours gave me little pain on my wrist. I would always wear them even if they are very hard to put on and off (maybe i need another one)

and if you're learning rails.. i suggest padding pants... saved me lots of time. including today.
    fell right on rails... i don't wanna imagine how painful it could've been if i didn't have padding pants. it makes your butt large but it's for your safety.

Leave a comment:

• dis
    replied
    Originally posted by Liquid_Beaver View Post
    Breckenridge has a cool sign on one of their buildings that really get's the point across.

Average cost of a helmet: $100
    Average cost of a CAT Scan: $1000
    Not quite so effective up where I live. It's kind of covered under our universal health care. If I'm in the US skiing, work has me covered. That being said, I wouldn't be caught on the slopes without a helmet, and I try to make sure that a helment is worn by anyone that I'm riding with.

Leave a comment:

• koneco
    replied
    Not to mention the dangers associated with CAT scans (i.e. lots of radiation increasing your risk of cancer greatly).

Leave a comment:

• Liquid_Beaver
    replied
    Breckenridge has a cool sign on one of their buildings that really get's the point across.

Average cost of a helmet: $100
    Average cost of a CAT Scan: $1000

Leave a comment:

• MitchK
    replied
    after a concussion last year while wearing a helmet, there's no chance I'll be going out without one. I'd hate to know what kind of shape I'd be in if I hadn't had my helmet on (I was thinking of taking it off while I was up there at the time, because I was just crusing groomers that day).

RIP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X