Potential new rider questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential new rider questions

Whats up everyone, I've been curious about skiboards for a little while, I didn't do well on ski's, didn't do well on a snowboard, but I am great at ice skating, roller skating, roller blading so after all I have read I assumed this is very similar. A lot of my friends ski/snowboard and I'm the one left out when they go to the slopes and I want to find something im actually good at. Now my questions are, first off, I'm 6'4'' and about 285 pounds (athletic build), and i was wondering if any skiboard would be good for me or would there be a different size or something i needed (i honestly know nothing). And since i dont know anything about skiboards, what brands would you recommend i look at if skiboards can work for a fella of my size.

thanks guys!!

Start here:

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=6725
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Welcome BigJohn ,
      yes , big guys can do fine on skiboards... which skiboard you decide to get , depends a lot if you are going to be doing much powder or not ... with your skate background , you might want to go shorter rather than longer .. but you still need fore and aft stability and some surface area for variable conditions at your size..
      I am going to suggest a few boards to think about for your size and background. Overall with your skate background and your negative previous experience on skis , I think I would tend toward the ALP as maybe the best compromise choice of the four boards I mention .
      I would recommend the ALP or Spruce 120 if you are not going to be in too much powder
      The other two boards if you are going to be doing some powder would be the Condor and the Spruce Sherpa .

If you are not going to be in a lot of chopped up broken up snow off the main trails and you are mostly going to be in firm snow and want a more skate like feel , then another board to think about is the KTP .
      I know that is a lot to think about , but the problem is there are so many good boards , it is difficult to narrow the choice down ..
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
        And since i dont know anything about skiboards, what brands would you recommend i look at if skiboards can work for a fella of my size.
        John,

You came to the right place, and I think you'll be glad you gave skiboards a try as long as you stay out of mine shafts supported by fragile timbers. (Sorry, couldn't resist the reference to your namesake song.)

I am also a bigger guy with a skating (ice hockey) background, and found skiboarding to be natural and intuative. These skills translate much better to skiboards than skis. Re brands, Revel8 or Spruce would be my recommendations. Revel8 are top tier quality/service wise and offer many different models to suit any taste, and Spruce offers longboard skiboards that are designed with bigger folks like us in mind (my personal favorite ride is the Spruce 120). In general, the smaller boards will offer a bit more skatelike feel and picking a model will be a trade-off between this and stability.

Comment

Last year I was on KTPs around 260lbs, 6'2". I found that they were good for the groomers that I was riding on. Recently I've acquired a pair of ALPs (This years model is renamed DLP) which I'm hoping to be able to try out.

For me the biggest benefit of skiboarding is that it's pushed be to be more active in general, and to think more about my health, which in turn has caused some weight loss, which is something that I've been having issues achieving until now, so personally skiboarding has made some big differences in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            John,

You came to the right place, and I think you'll be glad you gave skiboards a try as long as you stay out of mine shafts supported by fragile timbers. (Sorry, couldn't resist the reference to your namesake song.)
            Haha bill that was hilarious. Although i dont stand 6'6'' and weigh 245

Thank you guys for your insight i do really appreciate it!

Comment

Haha bill that was hilarious. Although i dont stand 6'6'' and weigh 245
              Maybe so, but I bet no one gives you any lip!

Comment

haha not many people do...where would be a good spot to find skiboards for sale?? what type of bindings and boots would you guys recommend? I read that you can use boots and bindings similar to snowboard boots/bindings?? If thats possible that would be awesome since thats the best part about snowboarding, the boots are waaaayyyy more comfortable and easier to walk in!!

Comment

haha not many people do...where would be a good spot to find skiboards for sale??
                  "There's a light up above!!" Seriously, just go to the very top of this page and click on skiboards for a link to the skiboardsonline store and darn near every skiboard made worth having. Boots and bindings? Personally, like many others I really like full-tilt brand boots, but any ski boot that's comfortable will do fine. The more upright the stance, the better (for most folks). Bindings? I'm a fan of Spruce Risers with release bindings, but really, you should check out some of the sticky threads under new rider questions and skiboarding gear, you won't need jacks and timbers to get through all the good info there.

Edit: You asked about snowboard boots & bindings. Yes, new this year Revel8 has come out with an innovative adapter to fit snowboad bindings and boots to skiboards. This has been tried before with mixed results at best, riders have found a snowboard set up just doesn't have the rigidity to work well controlling skiboards. I have an idea the folks who are purchasing these binding adapters are the experimenters in the group, and suggest that those new to the sport stick with proven, conventional boots and bindings and let others work out the kinks for now.

Comment

BigJohn,

At 6'2" and 220lbs I'm neither the biggest or smallest kid on the block. I run boards ranging from the 130cm Sherpa down to the 101cm KTP's. If you are going into powder (over top of boot) on a regular basis I say go bigger. That means Spruce 120's or Sherpa's. The 120's are the most neutral board I've ever been on. They are also incredibly capable. The Sherpa is a snarling monster. It does everything and looks up at you like "Are we done playing now? I want to work for a change." The KTP's are the most vertical fun a man can have in anything up to about top of boot snow. Because of their short length they don't allow warp speed groomer runs without additional attention (they get sketchy when you ramp it way up) unlike the Sherpa's. I've not spent a lot of time on Condors but they do powder very well, are a lot of fun and flick around like you're wearing big shoes. They like a determined rider. They want to be pushed like the Sherpa. They are also more sketchy on the groomers than 120's or Sherpa's. If I had to recommend only 1 board to anyone I'd say the Spruce 120 because of how neutral and capable it is. You'll simply not find the limits of the 120's. I've had them going so fast on groomers that the tips were quivering and I felt like they weren't even there. They held up great. The Sherpa is the big brother in all respects. More demanding and more giving. KTP's are your beer drinking, doobie smoking best friend that can and will do anything as long as it's not pushing the envelope. My 2 cents.
                    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

alright awesome, sounds great. thanks everyone

Comment

timing is on your side - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merch...roduct_Count=1

Comment

I'm going to recommend the KTP's for you since you're looking for a skate-like feel and are new to the sport. The KTP design is one of the most versatile designs available, and I think you'll really enjoy them. I normally don't recommend them for beginners because of their width, but at your size, you'll be able to handle them. For boots, I like hardshell (alpine) snowboarding boots like the Deeluxe boots on SBOL. Ive had my 225's for several seasons and still like them. The moldable liner does a lot for comfort, and the rounded sole makes them easier to walk in. For bindings, I'm a fan of the Bomber Elites, but the Revel8 Receptors are also supposed to be very good. Don't go cheap on bindings, especially at your size. Good bindings are key to a good ride on skiboards.
                          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

As (most likely) the biggest guy in this community at 6'4" and right at 3 bills (started on skiboards when I was 365lbs, whoa) I started riding on 99cm snowblades and went to the 105 revolt, now my go-to boards are anything in the 105-110 range which includes Revolt, DLP, ALP, and Condor. I've also ridden the KTP with no issues but personally prefer the other boards for fore/aft stability. I ride with either Bomber non-release or Receptor non-release... never had an issue.

Highly suggest going with traditional ski boots and letting others work the kinks of new tech out first.
                            Also if you're looking for big boots I have some available for a rough size 13+ foot. Or the Deeluxe boots sold at the sbol store are incredible and super comfortable, plus really easy to walk in with the curved heel, I fly past my regular ski boot friends as we walk from the parking lot.
                            Dave | Elevendy

Comment

Working...
                            X