Air Plane travel bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Plane travel bag?

I want to check everything in one bag for an airplane trip. Has anyone ever used one of these 44" equipment bags? I haven't seen one in person but should fit up to 110cm boards?

http://www.stx.com/womens/products.c...=4&n=174&p=273

I am kinda afraid the above linked bag will be to wide and tall (bulky). Anyone have experience or thoughts?
    www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
    DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
    Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
    GGO soft boot bindings
    Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Bee

I've been researching bags myself, here in the UK. I've just ordered a golf bag/travel cover. Not that I'm a golfer but I've been told that most golf clubs are about 120cm long. Spruce 120 size.
    Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
    Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
    Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

bee,

You are sometimes better off with 2 smaller bags to avoid oversize or weight charges that can be in the range of $150.

One thing to note when booking your airfare is to indicate that you are checking in skis. Most airlines do not charge anything extra for a bag with one pair of skis, poles, boots etc that only contains those items, but will nail you if extra items are in the same oversize bag.

I have travelled often on airlines with skiboards and this is how I do it. I use a hard shell SportTube for 2 pair of skiboards and I predeclare it when I book my flight. Then a second bag similar to the one you have the link for but smaller so it is within the baggage L + W + H limit that is usually set at 62 inches. Also watch not to exceed the 50 pound limit. I actually have a small weigh scale with me all the time when I travel to make sure.

I noticed that United can be very anal about the limits and I have seen people in tears when they are charged $150 for being 3 pounds over or are tearing their luggage apart to reduce weight.
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

bee,

Slow's advice is spot on, but it takes some research and luck that varies with each airline and airport. One alternative to this is shipping your gear ahead UPS, fedex, etc., that's what we do now, then just pack simple carry-on.

We got tired of putting ourselves at the mercy of airline beancounters, pinhead TSA bureaucrats and their maze of regulations purposefully designed to torment and fleece unsuspecting passengers.

Comment

Can you fit boots in the sports tube #2? Or would you have to go with the #3?

So let me get this straight. Lets say i get a sports tube, or even the bag i linked to originally. I can put 2 boards, boots, 1 pair of: goggles, helmet, protective gear, etc inside. And they will not charge an oversize limit as long as it does not contain clothes?
          Above I was referring to AirCanada for guidlines.

With United you can only have boots and boards no other gear?
          Ahh my head is starting to hurt with all this. Do they ask you to open it up when checking it in to see if there is clothes etc inside?

My goal would be one checked bag and one carry on. I think i could manage that if i could put goggles helmet etc in with the boards.

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
          GGO soft boot bindings
          Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

When I flew Air Canada last year I used a sport tube #1 for my boards (in the monkey bag, with each skiboard down one leg of my snow pants). I had a separate boot bag, and then just threw my helmet, goggle, gloves and wristguards in my other checked bag and wore my coat. I have seen people attach a helmet to a backpack (just hanging before).

In terms of figuring it out I was on a work trip with a short ski vacation tacked on the end, so I just asked the travel agent that we booked it through to take care of getting everything set up with air canada. If you're working with a travel agent, make use of them for stuff like this. It's what you're paying their fee for.

Comment

I use a Burton snowboard bag to carry 2 pairs of boards with bindings. I put the rest of my stuff in a boot bag... boots, helmit, gloves, dryer. I once got dinged an extra charge when I used my smallest suitcase as a boot bag. The agent said it wasn't official. Even when I told her to open it and look inside, she wouldn't budge. This was on Delta. So I bought a boot bag on that trip not wanting to be charged again for the trip home. Be careful wrapping your boards with your ski pants. The edges destroyed a new pair of pants when I did this. Only use cloth or plush tops, not anything with nylon, goretex or ripstop.

Wendell
              Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
              Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
              Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
              History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by bee View Post
                Can you fit boots in the sports tube #2? Or would you have to go with the #3?

So let me get this straight. Lets say i get a sports tube, or even the bag i linked to originally. I can put 2 boards, boots, 1 pair of: goggles, helmet, protective gear, etc inside. And they will not charge an oversize limit as long as it does not contain clothes?
                Above I was referring to AirCanada for guidlines.

With United you can only have boots and boards no other gear?
                Ahh my head is starting to hurt with all this. Do they ask you to open it up when checking it in to see if there is clothes etc inside?

My goal would be one checked bag and one carry on. I think i could manage that if i could put goggles helmet etc in with the boards.
                Check the airlines websites for details. Here is Air Canada's for the number of free checked bags: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e/checked.html

Here is Air Canada's ski equipment details:

When packed separately, each of the following counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type:
                • one or more sets of skis (snow or water) packaged together in the same container,
                • one snowboard,
                • one helmet,
                • one set of poles,
                • one pair of boots (ski or snow),
                • one pair of skates,
                • a single slalom.
                Waivers / Charges
                • Skis or snowboard: No oversize charge applies.
                • Ski boots or snow boots: No additional piece charge applies when carried along with skis/snowboard. One boot bag is permitted per customer.
                If your baggage count (item in this category + number of other bags to be checked) exceeds the maximum number of items allowed by your fare type, additional checked baggage charges will apply.

All other additional checked baggage rules apply.
                Packing instructions
                Skis and poles or snowboard must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping.
                And yes United has their own rules, the most significant being that they charge for all checked baggage. http://www.united.com/page/middlepag...kTitle=baggage

Details for ski equipment on United are found here and are basically the same as Air Canada's: http://www.united.com/page/article/0...3,00.html#snow

Note that if the first leg of a flight is with Air Canada, there are no checked baggage fees even if you connect onto United. But if the first leg is with United, you will be charged.

FYI: All the bags will be x-rayed and weight is what will ultimately limit what you pack in the sport tube since the snowboard version that I use weighs 14 pounds without anything in it. If I pack two pairs of skiboards with releasable bindings in Monkey bags, I can also add in a small tool / tune kit. If I pack only one pair of skiboards with releasable bindings and Monkey bag, I can also put my boots in the tube with the tool kit and still be under 50 pounds.
                sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Alright I appreciate all the responses. It was so easy last time I flew since my MNP fit in my duffel with my boots and clothes. Simply moving up to revolts has started to make things complicated and somehow i can see 110s in my future.

Gromit if your still watching let me know how the golf bag works out.

My setup:
                  GGO soft boot bindings
                  Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

Originally posted by bee View Post
                    Alright I appreciate all the responses. It was so easy last time I flew since my MNP fit in my duffel with my boots and clothes. Simply moving up to revolts has started to make things complicated and somehow i can see 110s in my future.

Gromit if your still watching let me know how the golf bag works out.
                    The issue is not the skiboards or their length. It is cross border air travel with the new security measures and the airline's eagerness to collect extra fees.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X