Snowheads Forum Discussion on Skiboards in Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowheads Forum Discussion on Skiboards in Powder

Interesting discussion from last season on skiboards in powder on the Snowheads forum ... I think this is a UK ski forum...
    http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57315

Positive comments about Revel8 skiboards :

"I have some proper Skiboards, Ie the big fat wide ones from Revel8 not weeny little things that are really blades.
    They are brilliant in powder, quick turning, they float well too. They are easier to ski in powder than regular skis. Great fun for playing in the trees or in the steep technical stuff.
    I ski, board, blade & skiboard I love all of them equally. I ski on piste when it's freshly groomed or hardpacked, though I hate pistes generally, deep powder days I'll board & in between I'll Skiboard.
    Proper skiboards are NOTHING LIKE blades!!!!!"

Not so positive comments about video of Revel8 Team riders in Colorado

" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJP2FzEP8w4 there's a couple of little bits in this vid but its basically going in straight line and looking like he's needing to put a reasonable amount of effort in compared to skis. That or he just has a pretty rigid style. Considering its the revel8 team i expected better."

"Pretty much backs up the assumption I had that if you think snowblades are good off-piste you're just a bad skier... even their park segments are only unique because they can do rollerblade-esque tricks - but best of luck stomping the 70ft zero air on your blades...

*edit* - I give up using the "skiboard" term. You know what I mean."
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

i gave up talking about skiboards on snowheads, some people just wont ever accept its all about having fun. if its not 100% like the BASI manual then it has no place on the slopes. there are only maybe 1 or 2 people on that site who have ever used anything other than snowblades, yet they make out they are informed as to how skiboards perform. good to see you found that thread though, i had forgotten i had even posted on it. thanks
    Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
    Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

Thanks Graeme for posting about skiboards there and giving us a heads up about that forum .. Interesting , though , the thread is very illustrative of what I think is the core problem in getting more folks interested in skiboards. A guy asks a very reasonable questions ... could he have more fun in powder on skiboards ? and then all kinds of skiers who have never ridden skiboards chime in as to how bad they are , how they won't float and how the guy should just get skis .. A guy has seen Revel8 videos and seen skiboarders ride deep powder and ride the park ,still makes disparaging comments about skiboards and our riding style . The problem is , of course, that there are not enough folks who have actually ridden the things. It is folks like you and I who know differently because we have actually ridden skiboards and have a background in other sliding sports so can know what they can really do compared to the other tools . But as you say try to speak up on a general ski forum and often you will be shouted down by the masses. A while back I tried to make some posts about telemarking skiboards on Telemarktips . a telemark ski forum and the jokes, snide remarks , were pretty bad. I think perhaps it will remain a person to person conversation . We ride on the slopes someone notices our boards and what they are doing , we hand them a SBOL card , and give them a spiel about skiboarding one rider at a time ... I especially love riding past some guy in deep pow on my Condor , that turns heads!
      By the way , my backcountry buddies are a little worried about me spreading the word about skiboarding pow in the backcountry . since it makes everything so easy both for climbing and descending they are worried that the backcountry will be getting crowed with tyros.. ! I don't think that will every happen , thank god !
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

jack, are you a member of snowheads, if so whats your user name there. i have been a member for a good few years now and like the site, but feel the general attitude to be very elitist. they post as if they are the only oppinion that matters. they would all love to be "end form perfect" in there sliding, but truth is most cant and wont ever be able to be good skiers. to be told that skiboards are crap is pathetic, especially from a bunch of middle aged snobs. i have been told that i must have crap technique to want to use short planks, the truth is a million miles from that......lol. i skiboard purely because its fun, i have a bigger smile on my face from sliding down a mountain on 110cm planks than any 180cm ski could ever give me.
        i have the "run what ya brung" mentallity, and just want to promote snowsports through whichever medium you choose. pricks with sticks, gays on trays, or knuckle draggers, all of them are fantastic sports in there own right
        Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
        Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

yea the main problem is they dont see them used often enough.

People assume skiboards are bad just because every one out there isnt on them. People are such followers, they just DO what other people do.

that is a big reason i love skiboarding...its different!

unfortunately what it would probably take is one of the really good freestyle pro skiers out there that these little kids d*ckride and have them rip it up on skiboards and state how good they actually are.

yes id like to see the sport i love get more popular and have money be put into it but hey either way ill be happy skiboarding

Comment

Originally posted by graeme View Post
            jack, are you a member of snowheads, if so whats your user name there. i have been a member for a good few years now and like the site, ...
            no , graeme , i just came across the thread doing a google search on powder skiboarding ...
            Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

I think I am gettin' too old for this stuff. Bottomless pow through the trees at the top of Mnt Rose on skiboards? KT Face in deep pow on skiboards? Forget it... or maybe..... NOT! Maybe just the blast of a lifetime
              Posting on snowheads is a bit like preaching Christianity in a Mosque.
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

the most important thing is to have good mentality about it, cuz there are allways gonna b haters. dont get ruffled by ppl who are like "skiboards suck" (especially wehen they have no idea what theyre talking about.) just chill and keep doin it.

Comment

Working...
                X