Interesting thought skiboards vs snowblade. vs short ski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting thought skiboards vs snowblade. vs short ski

the term snowblade is searched on average 14 times more than skiboards, and the term short skis is search almost 9 times more.

my guess is many people never actually find real skiboarding websites because of this.

here are the stats on Google.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=skibo...ate=all&sort=0

any idea on how we can get that traffic onto skiboarding websites?
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

im gonna hand out my HUGE stack of revel8 cards to everyone i see at every mountain. it should last me about a few weeks haha.
    RVL8
    \______^=======^______/
    www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

Comment

Skiblades, short skis...

That's a really revealing graph Jason. The way I read it, "skiboards" as a search term didn't really start showing up until 2007, so we're making progress. "Snowblades" is a Salomon specific product term and with Salomon no longer selling them, it looks like the term is less used now.

I checked "shortskis.com" and "skiblades.com" and they are both registered by what looks like speculators. My guess is that they could be bought for some price or other.

If we owned both domain names, they could be set up as "redirection" websites that explained in an imformative way that what the searcher really wanted was something called "skiboards" which are the current evolution of skiblades and shortskis. With links to SBOL and sbmag, etc. the searcher would be linked into the world of skiboards.

Here are the name registrations: http://www.directnic.com/whois/index...=skiblades.com & http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi.../shortskis.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsinger View Post
        That's a really revealing graph Jason. The way I read it, "skiboards" as a search term didn't really start showing up until 2007, so we're making progress. "Snowblades" is a Salomon specific product term and with Salomon no longer selling them, it looks like the term is less used now.

I checked "shortskis.com" and "skiblades.com" and they are both registered by what looks like speculators. My guess is that they could be bought for some price or other.

If we owned both domain names, they could be set up as "redirection" websites that explained in an imformative way that what the searcher really wanted was something called "skiboards" which are the current evolution of skiblades and shortskis. With links to SBOL and sbmag, etc. the searcher would be linked into the world of skiboards.

Here are the name registrations: http://www.directnic.com/whois/index...=skiblades.com & http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi.../shortskis.com
        owning those domains doesn't guarantee a result on google. more importantly, right now when you search snowblade or snowblades on google the first and second result, respectively, is the wiki page for Snowblades (which has been "deleted", last month) If someone in the wikipedia community (e.g:Adeehr) could get that edited to direct to the skiboard wiki page it would be a huge win for the good guys

Comment

ya, im not an expert on google, but a programmer friend told me that the list is generated by a pretty complex algorythm that takes into account lots of things like page popularities, total of other websites linking to that website, total of referals from google ect.
          Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

i hate those words.

just yesterday i must of had 4 people say oh skiblades/snowblades whatever!

but this one guy was like "oh look skiblades!....oh waitttt, those are sickkk!!! haha i was like yea these things are LEGIT!

i wish more people enjoyed riding skiboards like me but i kinda like being different out there.

Comment

I can't remember exactly, but I do recall doing a google search for "short skis" and I did eventually (and thankfully) found my way here to SBOL. I think I first ended up doing lots of reading from skiboards.com, and then started google searching for "skiboards", which led me here. Before I knew better, I kept bouncing back and forth from them to SBOL. And once they removed their forum, that left a bad taste in my mouth.

It's a shame that when I mention "I skiboard" people look at me cross-eyed. Some are smart asses and try to tell me that they think I mean snowboard. Uh, no... you idiots. I explain what skiboards are and go from there. Others (mainly ski pros) are still stuck in calling them snowblades. It can be frustrating, but all we can do is explain what we do, and most importantly, don't judge us, because the idea is to have fun.

Is this what snowboarders went through before snowboarding became so popular? I don't expect skiboarding to be "snowboard huge" but good gracious people, don't be so ignorant!
              If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
              www.GetFitnessFast.com
              www.FastFitShake.com
              www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
              '07 BWP's
              2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
              Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

The answer

I just did a Google search on "short skis" and the eighth entry was titled "What is the difference between short skis and skiboards/skiblades?" Here's the answer:

"Short skis are simply skis that are too short for you, rather then (sic) having the correct length.
                Ski blades are actually pre-cut tiny skis made for tricks.
                I ski with short skis, and I love them. I move quickly and can control them better. I also have skied with ski blades and they are alot of fun. More for tricks."

So. now I'm really confused. Either I'm on skis that are too short for me, or I should be trying to do tricks.

Comment

I happened upon SBOL on accident! I thought the sport was dead as the only things I found on ebay were old and used. I happened to see a listing for Tansho's and just tried searching for tansho's and finally found it!!! Unfortunately I had already spent on used boards what I could have gotten a brand new setup for!!! but thats ok, because the spare boards have converted quite a few people already! including my girl sheena!

One thought though is edit the skiboards wiki with enough references to "snowblades" and how they are different to make it show on a google search... or ofcourse pay for advertising with google to have it SBOL come up in a Snowblade search.
                  '11 DLP
                  '10 Condor / Black Zero Pro
                  '10 KTP
                  Journey boards and bindings
                  '09 Tansho / FF-CAMS (GF's)
                  Line Five-O (GF's)
                  Groove AF1 / Groove cheapy's
                  and not to forget my beloved first boards... Crazy Blades!!!!
                  A big ass PA system, so lets throw a f*cking party!
                  www.f1rstclasscitizen.com

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

I own the domain skiboards.ca and if you do a google search for "skiboards canada" I come up in usually the top three -- I used some site analyzer tools to achieve this.

When I bought the domain, I was thinking of reselling skiboards in Canada but since my life has changed with twin girls, I decided to link back to all the legitimate supporters of our community (I guess I'm giving back?)

I also hand out cards and stickers whenever someone shows interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                      owning those domains doesn't guarantee a result on google. more importantly, right now when you search snowblade or snowblades on google the first and second result, respectively, is the wiki page for Snowblades (which has been "deleted", last month) If someone in the wikipedia community (e.g:Adeehr) could get that edited to direct to the skiboard wiki page it would be a huge win for the good guys
                      I can help you get your skiboardsonline.com site to rank higher by using a site analyzer tool that worked for my site -- I am wiling to help you out...

Comment

Originally posted by beetlebud View Post
                        I can help you get your skiboardsonline.com site to rank higher by using a site analyzer tool that worked for my site -- I am wiling to help you out...
                        come up #2 for skiboards but if you can help with other search terms i'm willing to do whatever. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                          come up #2 for skiboards but if you can help with other search terms i'm willing to do whatever. thanks.
                          go to http://www.seocentro.com/tools/searc...-analyzer.html and put in your website.

In the Meta Tags analysis section there is some information that is crucial to your site getting recognized by the search bots.

Here are the results (important ones are highlighted):

Title: Title relevancy to page content is fair.
                          The Title relevancy to page content is 56%.

Description: Description meta tag is too long.
                          This tag contains 273 characters. This is too many for what we would consider a 'robot friendly' description. The maximum number of characters we recommend for this tag is 200.

Description meta tag relevancy to page content is fair.
                          The Description meta tag relevancy to page content is 45%.

Keywords: Keywords meta tag relevancy to page content is terrible.
                          The keywords meta tag relevancy to page content is 6%.

There are other sites that I can use to help you get more results and you can actually see the differences as you make the changes by running the tool every time you make adjustments to the meta tags.

Note that it does take some time for it to be updated by the bots, but once its up there you can expand your keywords and add some relevancy to the site words.

Relevant to the topic -- I can play with my site to see if I can get it to come up as high on a "Snowblades Canada" search result.

Comment

thanks, i made some recommended changes

Comment

More or less quick help can be done by some good SEO ppl.
                              Professionals who know how search engines work can put things together in our friendly sites so they are easier for google etc. to catch up.

Also - if ppl search for skiblades, snowblades, shortskis - we just need them to get to right place, and once again, more or less that si SEO thing. Otherwise, if we talk more (write more) in forums, websites etc.about what is skiboards and mentioning snowblade, skiblade.. then, it can also help to get better rank.

Our friendly pages are mostly TOP if ppl search for skiboards, it is bcs we use this work a lot here and there, but, we use snowblades less, but this factor is not one of main ones, seo is the thing. after then .. time.. these things doesnt happen in 24 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X