waxing iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waxing iron

quick question, do you need to use a ski or snowboard waxing iron or can you use a normal iron to wax. mainly wondering because i have an old iron that i dont use and did not feel like buying a ski/snowboard one for my boards.

i have noticed that the ski/snowboard ones do not have the holes like normal clothing ones, so just wondering if i should order/use a ski/snowboard one or not.

thanks
    - I C U -
    ---------------------------------------------
    Revel8 Revolt "City"
    Bomber Elite I's

I'd suggest getting one specifically made for waxing. I know some people do use household irons, but I wouldn't risk it, especially if you're waxing a good pair of boards. Waxing irons are cheap compared to potentially screwing up your bases.. Plus I think it'd be hard to get a decent wax job done with an iron with holes in it.

Comment

You'll be fine with a regular iron. Especially if it has a heavy base. A heavy base is better at holding a consistent temperature. Make sure it is completely drained of water and you cannot produce any steam with it. Just like any iron (designed specifically for waxing or otherwise) you'll need to dial in the temperature for your wax. Just a faint hint of smoke from your wax means you are dialed in right. Actual smoke means you are too high - dial down a pinch at a time until you get just the faintest hint. NEVER use the iron for clothes again. It's now your wax iron.
      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Been using the same old regular iron for over 20 years with no problem. Actually, an iron with holes or chanels in the bottom helps to spread wax evenly.
        Crossbow (go to dream board)
        Most everything else over time.
        Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
          Been using the same old regular iron for over 20 years with no problem. Actually, an iron with holes or chanels in the bottom helps to spread wax evenly.
          Interesting, I would have thought the opposite.

Comment

It interesting Courtney.... Logic suggests a flate plate iron should work best, but I find they 'float' in puddled wax instead of spreading it. Grooved base irons spread it more evenly because they dont float I guess......
            Go Android

Comment

i assume you use the same method with a regular iron as you would use with a ski iron
              - I C U -
              ---------------------------------------------
              Revel8 Revolt "City"
              Bomber Elite I's

Comment

Originally posted by zhack View Post
                i assume you use the same method with a regular iron as you would use with a ski iron
                Sure. Advertisers for ski irons say that they have much tighter temperature control than regular irons, so I guess that is where the extra money goes, but basic methodology of use is the same.
                Go Android

Comment

I found a really old iron at a thrift store. Very compact and easy to transport.$5 works amazing. But yes get to know the iron and temp you will need and you are golden.
                  '11 DLP
                  '10 Condor / Black Zero Pro
                  '10 KTP
                  Journey boards and bindings
                  '09 Tansho / FF-CAMS (GF's)
                  Line Five-O (GF's)
                  Groove AF1 / Groove cheapy's
                  and not to forget my beloved first boards... Crazy Blades!!!!
                  A big ass PA system, so lets throw a f*cking party!
                  www.f1rstclasscitizen.com

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

i use a 6$ iron form wallmart and it works great. find one without alot of steam holes and you will be fine
                    RVL8
                    \______^=======^______/
                    www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

Comment

Originally posted by TalonSei92 View Post
                      I use a 6$ iron form wallmart and it works great. find one without a lot of steam holes and you will be fine
                      IMHO The holes don't make any difference. I use an old steam iron for waxing. It had got furred up so I retired it from clothes ironing duty. Its got 25 holes in the base of about 1/4 inch (5mm) diameter. Works fine!
                      Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                      Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                      Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Been using a household iron for 10+ years, works fine. Obviously don't fill it with water, run it dry. Do some test melts to find the perfect heat setting.
                        R8 Revolt "Trees" w/ Red Line FreeFlex Bindings - Dynastar Twins w/ Line Red FreeFlex Bindings

Comment

I use my old Proctor Silex iron with no problem. I marked on it "FOR SKIS ONLY" with a Sharpie to ensure no family members use it on their clothes

I also marked the temperature dial where the wax melts best.

Comment

Working...
                          X