Wax and waxing table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax and waxing table

One question and one finding. First the question.

Does anyone know the the properties of recovered wax? When we iron in wax we scrape it off right? I recover this debris and now have enough that I could melt it into a usable form. But, I'm concerned about the properties of this recovered wax. If the properties of our wax did not matter we could all run out, buy 10 lbs of paraffin for pennies and be done with wax. But, that doesn't cut it. The properties of the wax we iron on matter greatly. I wax for base consistency. I don't need more speed. I already initiate turns to control speed. What I need is for my equipment to quickly and consistency respond to my desires. This equals safety. So, back to the question - does anyone know of any studies that reflects what is left of ski wax once it is applied with an iron and scraped off?

Now a reflection on waxing stands. For the last few years I've been using a sort of scissor leg thing with soft rubber tops. Think of ironing board legs with rubberized tops. This works well and stores easily. Before this device I was literally using 2 foam coolers flipped over. Laugh, but they work well and are the cheapest things on earth. They just don't offer a very good working position. But, I now have snow sliding tools that range in size from 101cm to 185cm. This stretches the capabilities the the scissor leg setup. So, yesterday I came up with a cheap, highly functional alternative. I went to the home store and purchased a cheap, workmate style work bench for $25 and another $1.50 got me 6 ft of pine 2x4. I clamp the 2x4 into the table by opening it up and just dropping the 2x4 in the middle. I also have a set of clamping stands I put on either end of the 2x4 and these serve to hold snow sliding devices off the table. I love it. Less than $30. the clamps easily slide up and down the 2x4 to properly support different length tools and when done stores up and out of the way in a flash.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

I have tried using reclaimed wax but ran into a problem. One of the functions of waxing is to remove dirt from the bases. I floats up in the applied wax and is scraped off with it, consequently the removed wax is 'dirty'. Also, if the wax gets hot enough to smoke when waxing in, some oil is being lost, so reclaimed wax will be harder.
    With regard to holding my boards, I have an old ski boot that I have cut down, leaving just the sole. I screwed a piece of 2x4 to the inside, and hold this in a vise, such that the sole faces upward. I then just clip in the binding on the board. I can post a pic if this is not too clear.
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

Valmorel,

Thank you for your insight. I had a sneaking suspicion about the dirt in wax. When I iron on now as I'm getting ready for the season the excess scrapes off clean and white. But, when I wax during the season it comes off polluted. At the end of the season I always strip my boards by hot waxing and scraping off before the wax hardens (I use cheap wax for this purchased in the off season). What you said makes sense and is enough for me. Oh, once the boards are stripped, I iron back on a big, goopy coat of "good" wax I do not scrape off and store them that way over the warm months. Once this time of year arrives the first thing I do is iron that coat back in one more time and scrape it off. That's my base. I try to start the season with 4 coats.

Last season I think it was I purchased a 10 pound box of Hertel Hot Sauce wax (and that was after going in for 40 oz on a group purchase with forum guys) so at my age I have a lifetime supply. The price was great and Hertel makes awesome wax.

I'd love to see your waxing stand. I get what you are saying but that sounds classic. Post a picture please.
      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

OK, so here is the basic component. Note the skinny handle like structure on top of the 2x4

Mounted in a vise. A portable workbench would do just as well

Board mounted and ready for wax

The piece de resistance. A wooden construction I made, also with a piece of 2x4 on the bottom, which here is being held in the vise. Not the central upright.

Here, the skinny handle on the boot component has been fitted over the upright on the wooden platform. This gives a very secure platform for sharpening the edges, allowing full control of the sharpening tool.

Just flip the board to sharpen the other edge.
        Go Android

Comment

That is a brilliant setup. I've been trying to think of a simple way to secure my boards for waxing/sharpening, and that design looks very easy to make and use.

I've run into the same problems with dirty reused wax also. I hate to throw away scraped wax, and most of the dirt comes off with the next scraping, but I don't like the way the iron behaves with dirt under it. Getting a good smooth motion can be difficult. My plan this year, is to try to find a mesh screen of some sort that I can use to filter out the debris while remelting the wax.
          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

That's a nice setup Valmorel.

I personally just use two plastic sawhorses. It's a bit of a pain because when scraping, I have to push up against my body to prevent the boards from moving on top of there, but overall it works alright. Doing friends snowboards is easy, because the large bindings will just push up against a sawhorse, and keep in place.
            2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

I heard it was detrimental to leave bindings in when you're hot waxing a board. Have I been mislead?

Comment

Originally posted by koneco View Post
                I heard it was detrimental to leave bindings in when you're hot waxing a board. Have I been mislead?
                Yup!
                Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                  My plan this year, is to try to find a mesh screen of some sort that I can use to filter out the debris while remelting the wax.
                  It might be possible to heat up the wax to around 85deg so that it melts, and keep it there to allow the contamination to sink out, then pour off the clean wax?
                  Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                    Yup!
                    What I've heard is that if you leave them tightened right up, as you heat it can deform the base underneath where the inserts are (as the tension from the bolts holding the bindings on pulls on the insert). I seem to remember seeing pictures of such on a snowboard, but can't find them right now.
                    2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

mahatma,

Could you post some pics of your setup as well? I'd love to see it.
                      08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

You

You made all of it by your self?

OMG, You must be god of DIY

Comment

that is an unreal wax table/design
                          - I C U -
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Revel8 Revolt "City"
                          Bomber Elite I's

Comment

Working...