Is skiboarding a form of skiing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is skiboarding a form of skiing?

Im curious to know what people think. discuss if you feel like.
    Yay
    76.47%
    Nay
    23.53%
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

i voted yes
    RVL8
    \______^=======^______/
    www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

Comment

hmm, im actaully surpirsed more people didn't say nay.

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Results may have been different if the votes were public.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

When it comes down to it, with modern skiing they are too similar to separate it too much, so I'd say it is.
          2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

One of the reasons that I put up the recent Bruce Lee post , is that there are parallels in how Bruce felt about his form of martial art, Jeet Kune Do and how he compared it to other martial arts and how we can think about skiboarding and skiing . Bruce said that all martial arts are similar in that everyone has two arms and two legs and there is only so much we can do with those arms and legs. If we define skiing as putting one plank on each foot and sliding downhill , then of course what we are doing is exactly that and we are brothers and sisters with everyone else who is putting one plank on each foot and sliding down the hill . Bruce said that the distinguishing characteristic of Jeet Kune Do was that it was the purest, simplest and most direct form of fighting. To me skiboarding is the purest , simplest and most direct form of skiing . It is skiing reduced to the bare essentials , to its simplest form and in so doing it is something quite special .
            My answer to this poll is both yes and no , yes skiboarding is skiiing , but no skiboarding is not '"just skiing ", it is special in it's simplicity.

ps. in my Bruce Lee post all the answers are direct quotes from Bruce ( besides being an excellent martial artist , he left reams of quotes and discussions and philosophy concerning martial arts ) I just substituted skiboarding for jeet kune do and riding for fighting in the interview .
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I hate controversy
              facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Is it in the genre of skiing? Yes. But, is it the same as freeskiing? No. The obvious similarities are there and people in our sport do try to treat it the same, but there are key differences. In the main thinking of it size is the obvious and huge difference. Freeskies have a length that allows for greater speeds while skiboards have a length that allows for quicker maneuverability. Length in both sports also allows for different tricks. Freeskies length allows for a variety of grabs that are presented differently while skiboards allow a freestyle rider to mimic rollerblading.

Are they in the same genre? Yes. But, is every rock band the same?
                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Its not how long it is but what you do with it..

Comment

Is inline skating the same as regular skating? well, no but yes they are similar.
                    Is Mountain biking the same as '10-speed- riding? well, no but yes.
                    Same thing here, they are different yet similar. they both get you down the snow, they both go on snow, they both bring a smile to your face!
                    That's how I look at anyways...
                    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

I said Nay. Pinkkid said it best. If you're going to generalize things then you could say yes but I hate generalizing...
                      08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

If Skiboarding was a guy, and Skiing was a girl (or vice versa)- should they date? Probably not. A little too much relation in my opinion.

But I still say Nay.

My civic has an engine, transmission, and 4 wheels just like an Porsche, bentley, ferrari, maserati, aston martin. So they're the same right?...

Comment

Originally posted by Manlig View Post
                          If Skiboarding was a guy, and Skiing was a girl (or vice versa)- should they date? Probably not. A little too much relation in my opinion.

But I still say Nay.

My civic has an engine, transmission, and 4 wheels just like an Porsche, bentley, ferrari, maserati, aston martin. So they're the same right?...
                          I would say that they are all still cars. Everyone seems to be on the same page, just taking a different philosophical approach. Same genus different species. This same question comes up multiple times a season. The lines have gotten so blurted that it doesn't matter to me. Do 75 cm boards ride like a lake of 210 race skis, no. Do sherpas ride a lot like armada jj's? Yes the feel is fairly similar. We have tools to ride whatever we want however we want.
                          I do it because I can.
                          I can because I want to.
                          I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                          '08 KTPs

Comment

they are all cars tho arent they?

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by pinkkid View Post
                              Is inline skating the same as regular skating? well, no but yes they are similar.
                              Sorry, you got me sidetracked, but I'll lead it back, I promise.

Inline skating and rollerskating are completely different. The only similarity is that they have wheels attached in some format to a boot. Roller skates typically come in only one format where inline skates, depending on the purpose come in varied formats. Two, wheels, four wheels, six wheels; two brakes, one brake, no brakes; soft boot, hard shell; etc... I think a better understanding would be to compare various ski/styles to various inline skates/styles In that view, then yes skiboarding is a form of skiing. There is skiboarding, freesking, telemark skiing, run-of-the-mill groomer cruiser (not quite sure the official phrase), etc... I'm sure we all say we're going skiing when of course we are going skiboarding. I say I'm going skating all of the time. I don't mean I am skating on six-wheeled inline skates to practice downhill slalom. I mean I am going to do some tricks. But, I still say skating.

We are so concerned with genres in American culture that we find the need to define this all in the first place. If we had to make it a genre, then yes, skiboarding is skiing. If it only matters to us the type of riding we do, it's skiboarding and the style we ride. So, this discussion is more about genres than it is about the sport itself.
                              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Working...
                              X